WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Vampire drains from lots of electronics that we think are off but are really on causes more issues than 99% of folks know about. Good catch!
I've been in the habit of completely switching off, with a true circuit breaking switch, most of our home electronics when not in use because of vampire drains of electronics in standby mode but the laptop seems to forget the monitors when I fully shut off power supply and its a bit of a pain to get it all started up again so I usually just do a standby shut down. I've started just unplugging the monitors now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
579 Posts
In theory the antenna should be perpendicular to the direction of signal and parallel to the ground. Face up or face down with 12 o'clock towards the window both achieve this, which is why it is recommended in the manual.

In reality the signal is bouncing around and there is the chaos of the real world incl nearby obstructions, local interference etc. So different orientations can work better for different people. Just try a bunch of things and do whatever works best for you.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am going to try this tonight.

I have noticed that my Mudmaster will receive the signal every night when it's on my dresser, but if it is next to the bed, it is not always consistent.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i don't test them, i don't worry about them, i don't read the manual, i just leave them randomly in my house, where ever i leave them, that's where they sync... and I live in Connecticut. for the most part, because of the strap, they just lay on their side, but sometimes they're in a drawer, sometimes in a desk, sometimes on top of the aluminum foot of my iMac, sometimes on the microwave, sometimes in the basement, and they always sync.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Since I live in the East Coast and far away from the tower in Colorado, atomic clock radio reception was often poor. Then one night few months back, I discovered that by simply putting the watch with the back facing up would increase the chance of receiving the signal. Since then I tested most of my solar atomic Gs, and proved this to be true. All of them were able to receive the signal significantly better than before.
View attachment 16173986

This is a familiar illustration from Casio / G-Shock manual for a solar atomic watch model. It instructs users to put the watch face up with 12 o'clock towards a window.
View attachment 16173954

This dated back to the first solar atomic G, the GW500 (Japan and US bands only) released in the early 2000s. That model has an antenna mounted outside of the module at 12 o'clock of the case and toward the front of watch. As seen below showing the connection to the 12 o'clock antenna embedded in the case.
View attachment 16173963
(Another member's photo borrowed for reference)

View attachment 16173969

However, this design was changed since the introduction of Multiband 5 and later 6. These newer models are simply having an antenna coil on the module itself, facing the case back. As seen in examples below for GWM5610 (right) and GMWB5000 (further down).
View attachment 16173976
View attachment 16173978

So this antenna is no longer facing the front, but rather facing the back. Also it's no longer on top of the 12 o'clock position as before, but rather more toward the center. I was long suspecting the recommended position in official manual was not correct. But never tested the theory until now.

Casio should really revise their manuals and remove that old illustration. That's no longer the optimal position for receiving the signal.
Interesting. I have never situated mine every and has synced fine, I am like 700 miles away, so not close at all. I am amazed at the whole thing in general.......anyway, nice info.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am one of those who have to put them on the face and have been doing so for years with excellent results. I also started a similar thread a couple of weeks ago:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Stupid question but what about watches on bracelets? Would the bracelet covering the backplate affect signal reception?

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
This dated back to the first solar atomic G, the GW500 (Japan and US bands only) released in the early 2000s.
My mistake, the first solar atomic G was the GW300, not GW500. Although the GW500 as well as the MTG900 were using the same module as GW300. Correction made to the first post.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not "we." ;)

I've been doing this for years and have posted about it in the forum. Each person thinks they have their own 'trick' that works and do what they want to do.

A recent thread also discussed the technique you mention. Clearly others are discovering that it works.
I am one of those who have to put them on the face and have been doing so for years with excellent results. I also started a similar thread a couple of weeks ago:

I haven't posted for long while, sorry if I missed recent posts of the same topic. I figure I wasn't alone for this "new discovery". ;)

Reactions: gartner

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Timely advice for someone who picked this up a few hours ago. Thanks!
View attachment 16175561
Wow, where did you find that?! I had seen the GWM500 sold for $60 new online before, but never this cheap. Not to mention it's the blue bezel version!

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Stupid question but what about watches on bracelets? Would the bracelet covering the backplate affect signal reception?
It shouldn't matter. I have a MTGM900, receives just fine with bracelet on top of backplate.

·
Registered
Rolex Sub 116610LN || Rolex Datejust 126234 36mm Slate dial and Roman markers || G-Shock GW-5000-1JF
2,376 Posts
I think it mainly depends on your location; how far you are from an atomic tower.

The farther you are and the more obstacles the signal gets interfered, the harder to receive a signal from the atomic tower.

I've tried this method many times here in Manila, Philippines (with the timezone set at Taipei). It doesn't work. But if I go to the province in Bulacan where there are much more meadows and fields than there are buildings, it sometimes randomly catches an L3 signal.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Reactions: entropy96

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Update: so I spent all day trying to manually force a radio signal but couldn't get a good enough signal. Set it on its side on my nightstand last night (not particularly close to any window) and lo and behold it received a signal and updated itself.

Running within a second of my phone and Samsung watch now whereas it was off by about 90 seconds yesterday. Something tells me it didn't update very often sitting in that case at Walmart for the last few months (years?).

Timely advice for someone who picked this up a few hours ago. Thanks!
View attachment 16175561

·
Premium Member
8,516 Posts
I put no effort into orienting mine and they seem to sink, even from within watch boxes and nowhere near windows. If they didn't, I really wouldn't care either, but still pretty cool.

Reactions: FROG and Xerxes300

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Update: so I spent all day trying to manually force a radio signal but couldn't get a good enough signal. Set it on its side on my nightstand last night (not particularly close to any window) and lo and behold it received a signal and updated itself.

Running within a second of my phone and Samsung watch now whereas it was off by about 90 seconds yesterday. Something tells me it didn't update very often sitting in that case at Walmart for the last few months (years?).
It is very difficult to get the signal during the day, which is why the watch automatically attempts to sync after midnight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm going to try this tonight, i was also wondering if the metal/resin bracelet across the back case of my 5600 would hinder it.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts