Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own.....

Tag Heuer 2000 professional series
Tag Carrera
Several Seiko divers
Tudor Pelagos LHD
Among several other basic G shocks for work and the odd “designer” watch!

Obviously all of these use different materials and would really love to know what you guys use to clean and polish the straps and casing!?
Especially as my Tudor is Titanium and can mark easily!
I often use a soft nail brush and household soap but I’m sure there are much much better options... quick searches on eBay and the web only seem to bring up professional cleaning solutions for use with the cleaning machines.....

Any help appreciated......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
636 Posts
very di.uted liquid hand soap and a soft bristle tootbrush.... you can use toothpaste for heavily encrusted dirt on the caseback and bracelet/ clasp. but be sure not to get toothpaste in between the case and the rotating bezel.. toothpaste has abrasive agents that if it gets into the bezel(click) mechanism will gradually wear out and loosen the bezel over time

Reactions: Humblebud

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Always use a toothbrush and toothpaste.
Almost all toothpastes are abrasive. It will wreak havoc on any polished areas.

To the OP: The simplest solution usually is the best. Liquid hand soap (e.g.-Dial liquid, or Softsoap), together with a baby's soft-bristle toothbrush (you'll find them in a drug store) are all you need to make your watches look like new. If you're picky, I suggest Johnson & Johnson's Clean-n-Clear foaming facial cleanser. It has a very low surfactant formula, so there is no soapy film upon rinsing.

Dry with a soft, cotton cloth … terry is fine, as are linen dish towels.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Easy, but effective - hand soap without lotions (ie Ivory) and warm water. Just rub with your fingers. This is plenty thorough.

Harder, but VERY effective - blue Dawn, warm water, and a soft tooth brush. Use compressed air from a can to blast out the water in the crevasses.

·
Registered
11,494 Posts

Deep Cleaning:

Place your Rolex in a shallow bowl and spray liberally with Windex, make a puddle around the watch. Let is soak for 20 minutes and shake every 5 minutes. You'll see the black gunk in the bracelet come out, you won't believe how much is in there. When done, rinse with warm water. Best thing about this approach is it's nonabrasive- I don't like the idea of scrubbing with a toothbrush. I've been using Windex on my Rolexes 2x a year for 20+ years, the stuff is great.

Bracelet Scratch & Scuff Removal:

Use very fine 000 synthetic steel wool to get all the scratches out of your Oyster bracelet. Just a few strokes lengthwise on the top surface, not the flanks. Make sure to take the bracelet off the watch so you don't accidentally hit the lugs. It transformed my Submariner which hadn't been touched for 15 years, took about 5 minutes to order it on Amazon and 5 minutes to do the few strokes and get a decade's worth of scuffs and scratches out and restored to perfection. Looks fantastic.

Plastic Crystal Scratch & Scuff Removal:

Buy some masking tape and Brasso brass cleaner from the local grocery store, use small tape pieces to mask the lugs and case, using a soft cotton cloth rub on a dab of Brasso with medium pressure in a circular motion for 3 minutes, let dry for 3 minutes, buff with a clean cloth. The crystal on my 1016 looked like it was dragged by a bus when I got it, looked brand new 15 minutes after I started the Brasso process.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts

To the OP: The simplest solution usually is the best. Liquid hand soap (e.g.-Dial liquid, or Softsoap), together with a baby's soft-bristle toothbrush (you'll find them in a drug store) are all you need to make your watches look like new. If you're picky, I suggest Johnson & Johnson's Clean-n-Clear foaming facial cleanser. It has a very low surfactant formula, so there is no soapy film upon rinsing.

No havoc, all cleaned.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Great help!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Deep Cleaning:

Place your Rolex in a shallow bowl and spray liberally with Windex, make a puddle around the watch. Let is soak for 20 minutes and shake every 5 minutes. You'll see the black gunk in the bracelet come out, you won't believe how much is in there. When done, rinse with warm water. Best thing about this approach is it's nonabrasive- I don't like the idea of scrubbing with a toothbrush. I've been using Windex on my Rolexes 2x a year for 20+ years, the stuff is great.

Bracelet Scratch & Scuff Removal:

Use very fine 000 synthetic steel wool to get all the scratches out of your Oyster bracelet. Just a few strokes lengthwise on the top surface, not the flanks. Make sure to take the bracelet off the watch so you don't accidentally hit the lugs. It transformed my Submariner which hadn't been touched for 15 years, took about 5 minutes to order it on Amazon and 5 minutes to do the few strokes and get a decade's worth of scuffs and scratches out and restored to perfection. Looks fantastic.

Plastic Crystal Scratch & Scuff Removal:

Buy some masking tape and Brasso brass cleaner from the local grocery store, use small tape pieces to mask the lugs and case, using a soft cotton cloth rub on a dab of Brasso with medium pressure in a circular motion for 3 minutes, let dry for 3 minutes, buff with a clean cloth. The crystal on my 1016 looked like it was dragged by a bus when I got it, looked brand new 15 minutes after I started the Brasso process.
That’s a great reply and he results look fantastic! Thanks for the help there!!

·
Registered
230 Posts

Deep Cleaning:

Sportura, do you also basically submerge the watch head in Windex also, or just the bracelet? If so, do you rotate the bezel while in the Windex to help get rid of any accumulated gunk?

Daniel

·
Registered
11,494 Posts
Sportura, do you also basically submerge the watch head in Windex also, or just the bracelet? If so, do you rotate the bezel while in the Windex to help get rid of any accumulated gunk?

Daniel
Yes to all of the above.

I didn't show it in the photo, but I put the whole thing in. And yes, I rotate the bezel to get the gunk out of there too. Just make sure your screw down crown is screwed down, you'll have no issues. Oscillate the watch back/forth in the Windex puddle every few minutes. You're letting the Windex do the loosening and cleaning, just swishing it back/forth is what got all those black blobs out you see in the photo, no scrubbing necessary. A nice power wash under running water is the finisher. Anything left comes out next time you go for a swim or a shower.

I do this 2x a year with my Submariner, once in September to get all the summer sweat out and once again in April after to get the winter vacation (in hot weather) sweat out. There are lots of threads about Windex cleaning in the various Rolex forums, it's where I learned about it. I just won't take a toothbrush to my watches. Can't do it.

Reactions: iinsic
1 - 20 of 31 Posts