WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering why so many folks here don’t care for Heritage brand watches? I recently scored a couple of them here at incredible, almost giveaway prices!

Both of these Heritors are quality built and and keep amazing time.

Like a lot of private brand watches, they incorporate Seiko’s NH35 movement which is outstanding as it hacks and also has manual winding. Many Seiko owners upgrade their 7s26 movements to NH35 as Seiko itself did with the new model Turtle watches which says a lot.

I’m glad most folks don’t care for them as I received two incredible deals!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the NH35, and from what I've seen (limited experience) their stuff appears to be fine, but:

1.) Their street and list prices are sky high for what you get for most of their models. That's not to say that you can't find bargains or lower priced models with decent specs, but with a lot of models in the $500-1200 range, that's a VERY tall ask for what you're getting.
2.) They play similar pricing games as brands like Stuhrling Original and Invicta, just not to the same degree. "Wow that $900 Heritor is on sale from $1,800!!" (spoiler alert, it was never really worth $1,800.)
3.) Skeltonized dials and open hearts are kind of their thing and they're in a weird space. Most skeletonized watches *tend* to be either <$200 and are fun fashion-y pieces, usually with a Chinese or low-end Miyota movement *or* they're really nice and go for over $1k. Playing in the ~$500 range with a skeleton is a hard sell and...
4.) While they offer some models with quality Japanese movements, they also use Chinese movements frequently, and try to obfuscate the fact that they're Chinese. So that ~$500-600 watch? It might not have as quality Japanese or Swiss movement in it, but is in the same price range where you could get Japanese or Swiss. The obfuscation honestly bothers me more.
5.) They just don't market to enthusiasts, selling more through department stores and such. They have kind of a rep as a fashion brand. A lot of what they make is not sporty, but not really fully dressy either-- it's got a little 'too much going on' with the moonphases, tiriple calendars, skeletonized/open heart etc. models being common in their lineup.

That's not to say that if you found their stuff at a steep discount that it wouldn't be worth checking out.

Reactions: SudoHalt

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think the brand is another TV shopping channel special, where the range is talked up by 'experts' over many hours, the same thing is done with the likes of Thomas Earnshaw, Reign and Swan & Edgar to name a few. All these brands are hyped to the max lauding there faux history and backstory, when the truth is the name has been hijacked or made up in the case of Heritor and slapped on the dial of usually gaudy mass produced watches, there are exceptions of course and some models across these vast ranges do stack up against the competition; especially if the watch in question houses a renowned movement such as the NH35. Ive had a few of them including a recently sold CCCP Aurora but you have to compare to the likes of the Pagani Design PD1639 which offers loads of spec incl the NH35, a ceramic bezel, 43mm stainless steel case and bracelet all for around £60, if your purchases come near to this for value then you have done well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts