WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GS wise.

I won the auction late last month for a Grand Seiko SBGX295.

This is a current production model that is JDM only. I always thought this was simply a SBGX259 with a leather strap (Similar to a SBGT017 simply being a SBGT015 with a leather strap) but it is not, the white dial is a dark white (the SBGX259 has a bright white enamel looking dial) with darkened markers (the SBGX259 markers are shinier). Despite the many pics that show these markers as being black they are just darker silver that in some light looks black. (though i think all black markers would look cool on this dial)

With all the fees and shipping costs, the watch came out to be about $900

The watch came with all boxes, books and guarantee paper (with the last owner's info scratched out with a marker). There was no warranty book (the Japanese are very particular on info they give out) and there was no white sleeve because most GS AD's in Japan keep those.

The watch looks pretty good and almost new. It was listed as not running (and untested) and arrived not running. As this was made in 2018 and the original owner bought it in 2019, i suspect it just needs a new battery as it is 4 years old and it will be fine and if not then a trip to GS and a bit of money will fix it and I will still come out on top.

I will have to replace the strap as it is too short for me. Even in the last hole the strap is tight on my 7.5in wrist. I will put it on a 19mm mesh strap or a expansion band until I figure out what i want. Having had experienced this with other JDM GS, I was fully aware of the strap size so i was not too concerned. Thanks to the fact i now have a GS deployment buckle, i can get a longer 19mm/16mm strap.

Here is some pics

Rectangle Pattern Packing materials Linens Plastic wrap
Brown Rectangle Sleeve Textile Wood
Textile Wood Sleeve Rectangle Dress shirt

Watch Analog watch Finger Clock Material property

Joint Hand Watch Arm Sleeve

Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Gesture

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Silver Clock

Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Finger

My wrist after wearing the watch. This is on the last strap hole

Leg Sleeve Input device Peripheral Computer keyboard

Registered
Let us know if you can get it running with a new battery... if that is all, you likely have a keeper for the next 45 years before it needs a more thorough service.

Premium Member
Hopefully replacement of of the battery does the trick! Nice score on a Grand Seiko. Vance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would be quite surprised if the watch does not revive with a new battery. The watch is like new and was made less then 5 years ago.

The watch came from one of those Japanese sellers that buy a crap ton of watches and then put each of them up on Yahoo Japan with a starting bid of 1 Yen or 1000 Yen each. They don't bother to check the watches over well. If they work then they are listed as working and if they are not running they are listed as not running. They don't bother testing them or replacing the batteries.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The battery change should do the trick! Fantastic find. The deployant buckle is really cool too, I want to buy one but they seem to be very expensive online. Do those pop up on any auction sites?
The watch or the deployment buckle?

The watch comes up from time to time on Yahoo japan. The buckle can be bought from GS but it is not cheap

Premium Member
I think the correct title for the thread "This is what $900 got me."

Now please tell us whether a new battery did the trick or whether you got nothing for $900.

Hoping for the best!

Registered
The watch or the deployment buckle?

The watch comes up from time to time on Yahoo japan. The buckle can be bought from GS but it is not cheap
yeah the buckle, ah how much did you pay from GS? I saw it on their site but there's no price. I don't want to email them to get a reply like "拢400 sir for a piece of stainless steel" 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah the buckle, ah how much did you pay from GS? I saw it on their site but there's no price. I don't want to email them to get a reply like "拢400 sir for a piece of stainless steel" 馃槀
The buckle came on the watch. The SBGX295 comes from Grand Seiko on this strap with the buckle. I think the buckle was about $135 (or at least it was when i inquired about it from my AD back in 2019(they had one in stock))

Personally I feel it is not worth more the $50 at most. It really is not of high quality (at least to me)

Registered
GS wise.

I won the auction late last month for a Grand Seiko SBGX295.

This is a current production model that is JDM only. I always thought this was simply a SBGX259 with a leather strap (Similar to a SBGT017 simply being a SBGT015 with a leather strap) but it is not, the white dial is a dark white (the SBGX259 has a bright white enamel looking dial) with darkened markers (the SBGX259 markers are shinier). Despite the many pics that show these markers as being black they are just darker silver that in some light looks black. (though i think all black markers would look cool on this dial)

With all the fees and shipping costs, the watch came out to be about $900

The watch came with all boxes, books and guarantee paper (with the last owner's info scratched out with a marker). There was no warranty book (the Japanese are very particular on info they give out) and there was no white sleeve because most GS AD's in Japan keep those.

The watch looks pretty good and almost new. It was listed as not running (and untested) and arrived not running. As this was made in 2018 and the original owner bought it in 2019, i suspect it just needs a new battery as it is 4 years old and it will be fine and if not then a trip to GS and a bit of money will fix it and I will still come out on top.

I will have to replace the strap as it is too short for me. Even in the last hole the strap is tight on my 7.5in wrist. I will put it on a 19mm mesh strap or a expansion band until I figure out what i want. Having had experienced this with other JDM GS, I was fully aware of the strap size so i was not too concerned. Thanks to the fact i now have a GS deployment buckle, i can get a longer 19mm/16mm strap.

Here is some pics

View attachment 16809278 View attachment 16809280 View attachment 16809282
View attachment 16809287
View attachment 16809288
View attachment 16809289
View attachment 16809286
View attachment 16809285

My wrist after wearing the watch. This is on the last strap hole

View attachment 16809292
Cartoon Gesture Art Finger Line

900 Dollarydoos! @journeyforce, did you order a quartz GS from Japan??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts