WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I use a 24 hour C.D.T. and am looking for one I can set to the second too!

My Nike Lance 4 is the only watch I've found that has this great feature. I love the Nike, but want another!

Great to me anyway since i use it frequently.

What others have this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: What ABC's Have A C.D.T. That Can Be Set To The Second?

C.D.T. ????:think:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Re: What ABC's Have A C.D.T. That Can Be Set To The Second?

CDT - Countdown Timer

Timex WS4 99hrs, 59min, 59sec, can be set to the second and can auto repeat up to 99 times.

Q-6

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Q-6!

The Timex keeps resurfacing! Very interesting......

You seem to be one of the few I have noticed that have the watch. Are the aesthetics holding it down? I am starting to warm-up to its unique looks. Especially if it performs that well!:-!

Would you give it a positive review so far then?

Is it comfortable too?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Thanks Q-6!

The Timex keeps resurfacing! Very interesting......

You seem to be one of the few I have noticed that have the watch. Are the aesthetics holding it down? I am starting to warm-up to its unique looks. Especially if it performs that well!:-!

Would you give it a positive review so far then?

Is it comfortable too?

Thanks
I have no real complaints with the WS4, it works as advertised in all respects. I view the WS4 more as tool than a watch, it`s very focused and gets on with business without issue. Certainly not a watch for all occasions, then nor is it attempting to pull this one off which results in an ABC that makes few compromises.

Comfort wise the WS4 is a large watch, yet it`s very light weight, once worn I generally don't notice it. I tend to wear it casually or at work depending on what am doing for the day.

Aesthetically it`s still a strange beast, the combination of 30mm strap and monolithic design tend to accentuate the watches size. The WS4 is the same size as a Casio PRG-80 for a real world comparison, and yes I believe that the look of the watch is primary reason for the cold response. What Casio produces will satisfy 80% of people who want an ABC, as in their most recent iterations they are very wearable in a day to day basis, although at the cost of being seriously compromised as an ABC. My concern is that Timex will drop the WS4 and not continue to develop the watch, or a serious ABC, rather follow Casio`s lead into the mid ground which results in a fairly good watch and a poor ABC.

What could be better; water resistance, then if 50m is 50m it`s adequate for the majority. the crystal is Acrylic and will scratch, which is very easily polished out. I can see the logic as a mineral glass crystal of this size and shape would be vulnerable to cracking, and retrospectively Acrylic is probably the better solution, more an observation. Solar is always desirable, although judging from the size of the WS4`s battery it wont need changing too often. Casio have made a lot of progress with "Tough Solar" yet it`s still not 100% with very short illumination periods and the inability to use the EL and compass at the same time.

All in all the WS4 is a great ABC and if you are really looking for a field watch one not to be dismissed too early...

Q-6

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Q-6,

As always, great information and well delivered. Thank you.

I see my local REI has one so I'm going to check it out today. The green one, which I prefer.

Good thing I have the day off!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Q-6,

As always, great information and well delivered. Thank you.

I see my local REI has one so I'm going to check it out today. The green one, which I prefer.

Good thing I have the day off!
Definitely worth a look, and it`s always good to play with new toy`s :-d

You never know the big green beast might just grow on you, unless you want something a little more shocking ;-)

Q-6

·
Registered
862 Posts

[snip]
Casio have made a lot of progress with "Tough Solar" yet it`s still not 100% with very short illumination periods and the inability to use the EL and compass at the same time.
[snip]

Q-6
IMO, Casio designers and engineers have done their homework on the EL.

My 1100 is set for 1.5 seconds AutoEL illumination, more than enough for me to read the dial, longer times will fall into the category of degrading night vision. Or, put another way: "While dark adaptation of the rods develops rather slowly over a period of 20 to 30 minutes, it can be lost in a few seconds of exposure to bright light." This quote is from a credible source, and Casio has factored night use into its illumination time lengths:

http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml

A compass watch should be held level during searching; the 1100 manual says "orient the watch so it is LEVEL" [my caps], and also says "full auto light switch is disabled during the 20 seconds required to take a direction reading with the digital compass". There is nothing to stop me from raising my wrist after the 20 seconds to see the settled compass reading.

I can also press the light button manually at any point during the 20 seconds read period and the display will freeze motion and I can then read the heading for the 2.5 seconds I've set the light to remain on. In other words I can use the EL light during compass readings. This photo shows the EL and the compass, in other words the 1100 has the ability to use light and compass at the same time.

Konrad.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
IMO, Casio designers and engineers have done their homework on the EL.

My 1100 is set for 1.5 seconds AutoEL illumination, more than enough for me to read the dial, longer times will fall into the category of degrading night vision. Or, put another way: "While dark adaptation of the rods develops rather slowly over a period of 20 to 30 minutes, it can be lost in a few seconds of exposure to bright light." This quote is from a credible source, and Casio has factored night use into its illumination time lengths:

http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml

A compass watch should be held level during searching; the 1100 manual says "orient the watch so it is LEVEL" [my caps], and also says "full auto light switch is disabled during the 20 seconds required to take a direction reading with the digital compass". There is nothing to stop me from raising my wrist after the 20 seconds to see the settled compass reading.

I can also press the light button manually at any point during the 20 seconds read period and the display will freeze motion and I can then read the heading for the 2.5 seconds I've set the light to remain on. In other words I can use the EL light during compass readings. This photo shows the EL and the compass, in other words the 1100 has the ability to use light and compass at the same time.

Konrad.
And when was the PRG-80 & PRW-1100 released ? coming up for five years ago you wont find the extended EL feature (1.5sec - 2.5sec switchable) on the 1300/110 or 1500/130, nor do they retain the last compass bearing for the same period of time as the PRW-1100/PRW-1000 & PRG-80 does (seconds versus minutes), so just maybe Casio`s engineers homework is not so sound, with the newer iterations of Protrek`s you are lucky if you get 1.5 seconds with the EL, no real progress, if anything once again a retrograde step.

Really it`s not a big deal to that the compass & EL do not work in unison, however it would be more logical. Personally all my 80`s are set to 2.5, Timex WS4 defaults to 3 seconds

As for any impact on night vision, the negative style EL is a better solution, the WS4 uses this technique as did the older PRG-40B`s, far better for those with a tactical need, limiting light pollution etc.

You a need brighter EL look at a PRG-40, all the same the PRG-80 is not too shabby...

The 40, about twice as bright in real life

I dont have picture of the WS4`s EL, so I snagged these

Timex`s implementation of the EL (Indiglo) is a lot smarter, given the data these watches output, and gives the user far more flexibility - EL 3 sec, will remain on as you cycle or use the various feature, has a night mode, that allows any button to activate the backlight, and is negative preserving night vision/light pollution etc & it still has a better CDT ;-)

Q-6

·
Registered
862 Posts
I should have included this quote from the same web site in my prior post

"If light must be used, it should be as dim as possible and should only be used for the shortest possible period."

so it seems to me Casio implementation is sound as the EL time are kept to a minimum for fast non-degrading night viewing of the display info.

Konrad.

And when was the PRG-80 & PRW-1100 released ? coming up for five years ago you wont find the extended EL feature (1.5sec - 2.5sec switchable) on the 1300/110 or 1500/130, nor do they retain the last compass bearing for the same period of time as the PRW-1100/PRW-1000 & PRG-80 does (seconds versus minutes), so just maybe Casio`s engineers homework is not so sound, with the newer iterations of Protrek`s you are lucky if you get 1.5 seconds with the EL, no real progress, if anything once again a retrograde step.

Really it`s not a big deal to that the compass & EL do not work in unison, however it would be more logical. Personally all my 80`s are set to 2.5, Timex WS4 defaults to 3 seconds

As for any impact on night vision, the negative style EL is a better solution, the WS4 uses this technique as did the older PRG-40B`s, far better for those with a tactical need, limiting light pollution etc.

You a need brighter EL look at a PRG-40, all the same the PRG-80 is not too shabby...

The 40, about twice as bright in real life

I dont have picture of the WS4`s EL, so I snagged these

Timex`s implementation of the EL (Indiglo) is a lot smarter, given the data these watches output, and gives the user far more flexibility - EL 3 sec, will remain on as you cycle or use the various feature, has a night mode, that allows any button to activate the backlight, and is negative preserving night vision/light pollution etc & it still has a better CDT ;-)

Q-6

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I should have included this quote from the same web site in my prior post

"If light must be used, it should be as dim as possible and should only be used for the shortest possible period."

so it seems to me Casio implementation is sound as the EL time are kept to a minimum for fast non-degrading night viewing of the display info.

Konrad.

:think:

Not entirely representative, varying exposures etc, however the WS4`s application of backlight is simply far better, offering greater functionality, owning both watches makes this immediately apparent.

Q-6

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Q-6 and Konrad,

I continually learn from both of your posts. Thank you. Although I have used N.V.G's and I agree with the "less is more" philosophy I still cannot see my self buying a stealth model for field use.

Q-6,

That Timex is getting closer to becoming my property! The photos of the EL are great! Well done for sure. So user friendly and readable. :-!

I also like the fact it is not such a "trendy" watch that every wanabe outdoorsman buys. As you said, "Its a real tool watch".

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Q-6 and Konrad,

I continually learn from both of your posts. Thank you. Although I have used N.V.G's and I agree with the "less is more" philosophy I still cannot see my self buying a stealth model for field use.

Q-6,

That Timex is getting closer to becoming my property! The photos of the EL are great! Well done for sure. So user friendly and readable. :-!

I also like the fact it is not such a "trendy" watch that every wanabe outdoorsman buys. As you said, "Its a real tool watch".
Careful the secret will get out :-d

Q-6

·
Registered
862 Posts
When the WS4 was announced I was intrigued, now I'm less interested because I find the WS4 dial not as easy to quick-read as my ProTreks that have a simpler dial layout. From what you say the WS4 it is at least as accurate as my ProTreks which is good, just not enough real-life features for me to spend my dollars at this point.

K.
PRG100 and PRW1300Y

PRW1100YTJ

======

:think:

Not entirely representative, varying exposures etc, however the WS4`s application of backlight is simply far better, offering greater functionality, owning both watches makes this immediately apparent.

Q-6

·
Registered
862 Posts
Q-6 and Konrad,

Q-6,

I have to agree I don't see much, if any, advantage to a stealth watch lit up. First photo is my 1300Y negative display, second is my 1100YTJ positive display.

and thanks for the kind words.
K.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I have to agree I don't see much, if any, advantage to a stealth watch lit up. First photo is my 1300Y negative display, second is my 1100YTJ positive display.

K.
The Timex WS4 has a positive display with a negative EL, which result`s in the best of both worlds. Not only does the WS4 equal the accuracy of Casio`s Protrek`s, it significantly surpasses them offering the same precision as the Suunto Core, with a superior feature set :think:

For readability & simplification of operation the PRG-80/PRW-1100 sets the benchmark, the newer models less so (PRG-40 has the best display of all, however the feature set is long outdated) . I was also dismissive of the WS4`s display layout, when in reality it`s just different to what we are used to. Subjectively I prefer the Proteks being a long time protagonist, objectively the WS4 is on a different level, and if you can live with the monolithic design, the WS4 is one of the best field watches on the market, even then you will need to dig deep for a high end Suunto...

Real life features are exactly what make the WS4 stand out, with timing functionality of a high end sports watch, combined with an accurate ABC package, that makes sense in the field and not the office.

Q-6

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's always good to be happy with our choices in life. I can't envision needing any ABC other than my ProTreks.
Konrad.

The Timex WS4 has a positive display with a negative EL, which result`s in the best of both worlds. Not only does the WS4 equal the accuracy of Casio`s Protrek`s, it significantly surpasses them offering the same precision as the Suunto Core, with a superior feature set :think:

For readability & simplification of operation the PRG-80/PRW-1100 sets the benchmark, the newer models less so (PRG-40 has the best display of all, however the feature set is long outdated) . I was also dismissive of the WS4`s display layout, when in reality it`s just different to what we are used to. Subjectively I prefer the Proteks being a long time protagonist, objectively the WS4 is on a different level, and if you can live with the monolithic design, the WS4 is one of the best field watches on the market, even then you will need to dig deep for a high end Suunto...

Real life features are exactly what make the WS4 stand out, with timing functionality of a high end sports watch, combined with an accurate ABC package, that makes sense in the field and not the office.

Q-6

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
The Timex WS4 has a positive display with a negative EL, which result`s in the best of both worlds. Not only does the WS4 equal the accuracy of Casio`s Protrek`s, it significantly surpasses them offering the same precision as the Suunto Core, with a superior feature set
I couldn't agree more with you

Q-6
again 100% agreed. there is always a huge difference between theory and praxis, and only practical field use shows the advantages of a superior product, or vice versa.

cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts