WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
New member with many questions

I've been a watch collector for a while now and have always justified my watch purchases (especially as I buy all of them used). So I'm wondering why in the world would the new sub5000 cost 3k?

Does Doxa even have its own manufacturing facilities? I got the impression that like many small brands most if not all of the watch is outsourced.

Say I list the sub5000's major components and what it costs Doxa to make:

Movement (is this the cosc grade? any embellishment on the 2892?): 200USD
Case: 300USD
Bracelet: 250USD
Dial and hands:100USD

(these prices are taken from prices that third party swiss and german makers not entirely accurate but in the range)

The total cost is less than a third of what DOXA charges? I mean is there a service center for Doxa? (I'm not talking about sales rep...but craftsmen that stand behind Doxa?)

PLus, Doxa charges its full price to customers. (not like other watch brands who sell through dealers)

Lets compare to the Omega PO:
I would give it around the same cost, but considering that instead of a base movement Omega's 2500 has bidirectional winding, jewels for the mainspring and the free sprung coaxial escapement. That said, the approx 900 I quoted for omega includes costs for the advertising that Omega does as well as its manufacture (they employ 900 and have one of the largest watch facilities). Plust, they sell their watches to dealers to around 50% of the MSRP!!! So they charge 1500, for the PO. (dealers eat the other half, but that's what it takes for any luxury item) I realize there are Omega boutique, but the amount of dealers is far more.

So what am I missing?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not sure you came off the way you intended in your 1st post here. Realize this is a bunch of pretty hard core Doxa fans. Easy to sound like a troll even if that wasn't the intent.

A brief reply from a non-expert. Won't argue your ballpark costs, (..even think you're a little high on a couple). Don't see the relevance though. Using your Omega example, given the Swatch group's volume buying power and cost containment their costs are lower still, but Omegas are still viewed to be "good value" purchases.

Silly to even mention the markup imposed by the big "R" in this discussion. Omega and Doxa both look like tremendous values in comparrison.

Why am I happy to pay Doxa prices? Beyond excellent value, quality of construction and product support, A Doxa on your wrist guarantees exclusivity and a striking out of the mainstream look that bigger "name" brands can't match.

JM2CW, YMMV!

·
Registered
413 Posts
You can start here for some history..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxa_S.A.

Then do a search on this form.

I think buying any watch for a certain price depends on the individuals perceived value. That is what you are trying to figure out really, the perceived thought process that makes a DOXA a DOXA.

There is no mistaking a DOXA for any other watch. Rich history, and quality of workmanship is as good as any other watch of the price range.

If you are just buying watches from a collection standpoint and not an emotional one [watch that speaks to you], you can always check the bay and sale forums and find out what ones are getting the most money. However, current values are in no way indicators of future values.

:-!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've been a watch collector for a while now and have always justified my watch purchases (especially as I buy all of them used).
Then you should not need to ask the questions you did. If you had asked about how they wear, timekeeping, how they look on the wrist etc then fair enough.
For the questions you are asking, tell me how Omega answered your questions.:roll:

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
First of all, you sound like a troll. :rodekaart

Second, the 5000 retail is $2500 returning customer just under $1900.

Third, Doxa does have service centers, a couple depending on where you are and a great customer service department. Some of the friendlies and most helpful of any I've done business with.

Fourth, most other companies do not sell direct, at least those that have dealers. Why would a dealer want to carry a particular brand when he will be undersold by that very brand.

Fifth, the PO is a nice watch, sounds like you think so to, so buy one and quit complaining.

Sixth, common internet etiquette is that you search a forum and find out what other have said before you kick the door in and start a fight. Check your tone, attitude, and preconceived notions at the door and you will find that those in this forum are very helpful and friendly. Leave a burning sack of dung on the door step you will have the door slammed in your face. :roll:

I've been a watch collector for a while now and have always justified my watch purchases (especially as I buy all of them used). So I'm wondering why in the world would the new sub5000 cost 3k?

Does Doxa even have its own manufacturing facilities? I got the impression that like many small brands most if not all of the watch is outsourced.

(these prices are taken from prices that third party swiss and german makers not entirely accurate but in the range)

The total cost is less than a third of what DOXA charges? I mean is there a service center for Doxa? (I'm not talking about sales rep...but craftsmen that stand behind Doxa?)

PLus, Doxa charges its full price to customers. (not like other watch brands who sell through dealers)

I would give it around the same cost, but considering that instead of a base movement Omega's 2500 has bidirectional winding, jewels for the mainspring and the free sprung coaxial escapement. That said, the approx 900 I quoted for omega includes costs for the advertising that Omega does as well as its manufacture (they employ 900 and have one of the largest watch facilities). Plust, they sell their watches to dealers to around 50% of the MSRP!!! So they charge 1500, for the PO. (dealers eat the other half, but that's what it takes for any luxury item) I realize there are Omega boutique, but the amount of dealers is far more.

So what am I missing?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but - these are just watches... NONE of them (except some low-end G-Shocks and Timex) are "worth" even half what fanatics like us are willing to dish out for them.

When you get right down to it, only a nut (like us) would pay more than $50 to find out what time it is.

Still, though, I sure like my watches! :-d

·
Registered
750 Posts
...these are just watches... NONE of them (except some low-end G-Shocks and Timex) are "worth" even half what fanatics like us are willing to dish out for them.

When you get right down to it, only a nut (like us) would pay more than $50 to find out what time it is...
Heretic! Heretic!!

Seize him!

:rodekaart

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
There are too many intangibles to add up when determining price. The most significant is demand. If no one bought Doxa at it's current price then it wouldn't survive. Close to all 5000 750T Subs have been sold. That tells me they are priced right. The same with all current and future models.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not a nice way of introduction...
Having read the previous comments of the forumers, I will try to answer your question: "what am I missing?"
The answer is :" a lot"
Adrian.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts

So what am I missing?
Realistically you are paying for a 'name' something DOXA have very sucessfully built in the last few years, in no small part due to this forum and their watches being featured in novels and recently on the big screen.

You will end up with a very noticeable watch out there in the world of bland sameness.

Are they worth the money? To me, no. But plenty here think they are and pay the price. I keep looking in here in case one really catches my eye. The cost though prevents me from a purchase, as you say, Omega offer better build and quality for the money.

At the end of the day...does it float your boat?

·
Registered
225 Posts
remember these are luxory items. more like wants then needs. that said don't forget the design cost, the die cost to create the case and other intagibles to the cost. also, they are priced at what people are willing to pay. they are obviously in demand when you look at how well they hold there value.

when i was much younger i sold shoes at a sports store.

cost for the top of the line basketball shoes was $17, we sold them for $95. go figure.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
37,273 Posts

So what am I missing?
You're not missing a thing. You clearly have everything figured out and thank you for enlightening the rest of us. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! Now let's all head over to the other forums and set them all straight. After that, we'll head over to Time Zone, EOT, Watch Talk, MWR, BDWF, The Poor Man's Watch Forum...what, that's your regular forum? Okay, we'll spare them.

Well, who's with me?!!! Let's GOOOooooooooooo!

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Never found any pop-corn, but this Bloody Mary and Club sandwich are really hittin' the spot;-)

Hawaiianpanda, how 'bout you do this...get your hands on a DOXA Sub, read Pete's book and hang out here for a while. You'll find your answers.

If not, just chalk it up to a "DOXA thing" and well.....you know the rest.

·
Registered
920 Posts
This should be fun to watch. I think I'll go grab some pop-corn.:-d
Yup, my thoughts exactly. Looks like someone wasted a whole bunch of thinking and typing time. ;-)

Now, my thoughts to your question. If you have to "justify" it, don't buy it. You really didn't want it. How can you justify the sales price of ANY watch? Why does a Mercedes cost more than a Kia? They are both cars that get you where you want to go. I am sure the brake pads on each cost the same, as most every other part. Spend your money on Government insured Bonds and when you die, leave it all to your kids for them to blow (on unjustified stuff). Me, I am enjoying it now and taking it all with me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey Subkrawler,

Bloody Mary and a club sandwich, sounds pretty good.

I'm going with a hero sandwich and some Cayman tea:-!, maybe some cheetos later.

Think we can talk this guy into joining us next year at Searaider 2008?:-d

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.