WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these markings on a GIRARD PERREGAUX diving watch "with quadrant compression calculation areas" on the dial. 52/2 37/6 27/7 and 18/2. Any one know what they mean and how a diver is supposed to use them? They are also on the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf.

· Registered
17,156 Posts
theres a diive table that came with the zodiac. I don't have the original one though. I know steve had one. my our resident diver knows those tables?

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
theres a diive table that came with the zodiac. I don't have the original one though. I know steve had one. my our resident diver knows those tables?
I've been trying to figure it out for the past day, and I don't have a clue. I'll try to find out though.

· Banned
3,218 Posts

· Registered
2,205 Posts
I just asked my father, he works in dive saftey, very short list of Canadians with more experience than him. He has writen many manuals.

I sent him a pic of the watch, he said the numbers dont look familiar at all. I told him they call it a 'quadrant compression calculation area".
He said "I noticed that the numbers were in four quadrants of the dial, but how they relate to compression is a mystery to me".
I would think in order for the numbers to be usefull to a diver, they should know what it is off the bat.

maybe this is a question for someone at Zodiac.

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
I just asked my father, he works in dive saftey, very short list of Canadians with more experience than him. He has writen many manuals.

I sent him a pic of the watch, he said the numbers dont look familiar at all. I told him they call it a 'quadrant compression calculation area".
He said "I noticed that the numbers were in four quadrants of the dial, but how they relate to compression is a mystery to me".
I would think in order for the numbers to be usefull to a diver, they should know what it is off the bat.

maybe this is a question for someone at Zodiac.
I thought about asking Zodiac, but since they've been bought by Fossil, I doubt the question would get very far. Maybe someone should ask GP. I would, but I'm travelling and on the forum via my iPhone, so I can't attach pics.

· Registered
835 Posts
Heres a stab at it. Since these watches were designed for commercial use..I.E. saturation diving. maybe these calculation zones were not to be used under water but after you were topside , to calculate time needed to be spent in a decompression chamber to equalize??? like by time spent your compression would equal a certain amount of time in the chamber , which could be divided into 4 quadrants like a graph and give a rough estimate, or like dive tables work , round up your time spent up to the nearest 10 to be safe? lol ill have to ask my girlfriends dad he might know

· Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sent an email to Roger Rugger, but have not heard from him. Maybe I try GP. Now I want to know. I don't even have one of these watches, but I like to solve a good mistery all the time. :think:

· Registered
1,037 Posts
I sent an email to Roger Rugger, but have not heard from him. Maybe I try GP. Now I want to know. I don't even have one of these watches, but I like to solve a good mistery all the time. :think:
Butch from Vintage Zodiacs just emailed me the time table for the Zodiac SSW that is used in conjuction with the numbers on the dial. He said it is used for timing dives.

Attachments

· Registered
61 Posts
Butch from Vintage Zodiacs just emailed me the time table for the Zodiac SSW that is used in conjuction with the numbers on the dial. He said it is used for timing dives.
Hmmm. I am a diver & it doesn't make much sense to me.
Mind you I haven't looked at a set of tables for years. I am wondering if GP & Zodiac figures are in metres not feet & taken from non-recreational tables at that. :-s
I will try and find my metric dive tables & see if there is any corelation.

Pip pip

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Hmmm. I am a diver & it doesn't make much sense to me.
Mind you I haven't looked at a set of tables for years. I am wondering if GP & Zodiac figures are in metres not feet & taken from non-recreational tables at that. :-s
I will try and find my metric dive tables & see if there is any corelation.

Pip pip
I get the tables. They're in Imperial, not metric and are fairly conservative, so they're recreational mostly.

I'm fairly close to figuring it out, but I'm tired and brain fried, so it may be until tomorow before I get it completely.

Poul, I like Butch's answer..."used for timing dives". No ****:-d:-d Can you ask him to go into more detail?

Also, where is "deepcdvr" when we need him? That's all those Navy guys do is run tables.;-)

· Registered
61 Posts
I get the tables. They're in Imperial, not metric and are fairly conservative, so they're recreational mostly.

I'm fairly close to figuring it out, but I'm tired and brain fried, so it may be until tomorow before I get it completely.

Poul, I like Butch's answer..."used for timing dives". No ****:-d:-d Can you ask him to go into more detail?

Also, where is "deepcdvr" when we need him? That's all those Navy guys do is run tables.;-)
I meant the quadrant numbers on the watches might be metric not the printed table :-! I have tried putting the bezel on the hour hand & minute hand but it is no help. There must be a particular table associated with these watches:think:

They don't seem to tie in with my (recreational) metric tables either. Do
let us know if you figure it out

Pip pip

· Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I heard back from GIRARD-PERREGAUX :

Many thanks for your message and your interest in our Brand.

Your question is very interesting. We try to find a decent reply but for the moment nobody in the house has an idea how to use these indications. We found they could be "decompression ratios" but nothing more. We are trying to find more details and we won't miss to come back to you later.

Sorry not being able to help you immediately. This watch is rather old and our records don't give us much information. By the way is there any reference number engraved at the back of the watch ? This information might help.

Waiting on your reply, we remain,

Yours sincerely,

GIRARD-PERREGAUX SA
Dpt. Communication
Jacqueline PERRINJAQUET
Let's not give up on this. I need to know ;-) I send her some more info on the watch. The GP is called a: 1970's Girard-Perregaux 200 Meter Professional Deep sea Divers Gyromatic by the way.

· Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And this is what I got back from Zodiac :roll:

Dear Andreas,
After talking to a couple of different departments here, we have found that the numbers are ratios for times. Unfortunately, I do not have a specific table for this watch. However, I do know that the ratios are based on the amount of time you have to return to the surface, based on your oxygen level. Also, the ratios are based on recreational diving, so they may not be as accurate as professional diving watches. I'm sorry that I can't be of more help.

Thanks for writing,

Zodiac Customer Service
[email protected]
http://www.zodiacwatches.com/

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.