WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right now I only have the big player by nixon which is all black, but I want to start having a wider range of watches I can wear. The nixon is a lot more for casual wearing, but I would like to find one for fancier occasions. Since I already have a watch that is black I would like to find one with either a silver metal band or a nice black leather band. What are some good watches I should be looking at? Any ideas? Im trying not to spend more than $400

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sarb033 / 035
Sarx015 / 013 / 017

Sea gull 816.362

Orient star , black mako, blue ray

Browse micro brands. Lew and Huey, helgray, obris morigan, g gerlach etc

Reactions: WatchNut22

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,172 Posts
juanito14, WELCOME to the Affordable watches forum at WUS, and Mike's right...we have lots of ideas for you from affordable but still well-built and worthwhile classic brands like Seiko, Citizen, Orient through new emerging brands with spectacular design teams like G. Gerlach and Lew and Huey.

Help us help you: what kind of price range are you comfortable with? The good news is that there are excellent choices at almost every price range, so don't be thinking you need to spend more than you can safely afford. And what size do you like most?

Meanwhile, check the daily what-are-we-wearing threads :)

Just for starters, and with no idea what you like, allow me to suggest a favourite of mine on black leather: the black version Bernhardt "Officer's Watch", just one of a selection of fine choices from Fred at Bernhardt. $459 new and somewhat less second-hand, with Swiss ETA 6497 movement and sapphire crystal.

bernhardt_face.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for the help already. I'm trying not to spend more than $400 on this one. I'm still fresh out of college and don't have a crazy amount to spend. Also I'm still new to getting into watches so I'm a little inexperienced with sizes also. I would like it to be a round faced model and on the bigger size though as my wrists are decently big.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Don't know how to hotlink threads with my iPad, but there's a really great thread here about affordable favourites. Tons of ideas in there.

Welcome to the madness!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Deledda

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Here's just a stream of ideas:

Hamilton Khaki
Hamilton Jazzmaster
Victorinox Inox
Victorinox Alliance
Seiko Alpinist
Seiko Sumo
Seiko Prospex Monster
Helgray Silverstone
Orient Curator
Orient Vintage
Orient Conductor
Laco Pilot
Aristo Pilot
Junkers Bauhaus
Mondaine Railway
Bertucci Ti-Matic
Obris Morgan Explorer

I threw some tried and true ideas out there - and some less conventional ideas. And some may be out of your budget new - but pre-owned can open up options.

You can also browse sites like Amazon, Island Watch, Jomashop, Creation Watches, eBay, etc… and filter by price just to get ideas. Then you can shop around for a good price and good seller.

You can also browse the WRUW (What Are You Wearing) threads for ideas.

Just have fun looking and shopping and getting ideas. The hunt is sometimes the funnest part. And the wait once you pull the trigger is agonizing. (And here's a pro tip: take notes for your next watch while looking for this one. It's not "if," it's "when". :p)

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
I would suggest any of the nice watches in the Scurfa Diver One series. All three are diver watches (designed & produced by a professional diver) and well built. I have all three and now for under $200 shipped from England they are an even better value. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Premium Member
13,238 Posts
I think this would fit the bill nicely...it's a tiny bit out of your budget at around usd430 but maybe you'll find it cheaper if you did a little shopping around.

Tissot T-Classic Automatic III T065.430.11.031.00.

photo borrowed from the Internet

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thank you guys for the help already. I'm trying not to spend more than $400 on this one. I'm still fresh out of college and don't have a crazy amount to spend. Also I'm still new to getting into watches so I'm a little inexperienced with sizes also. I would like it to be a round faced model and on the bigger size though as my wrists are decently big.
I think my Hamilton Khaki King is the perfect casual watch for a recent grad/young professional.

But maybe with larger wrists, you may want to look at the 42 mm field.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-H70555533-Khaki-Field-Black/dp/B000EQ0BM2/

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I say start at the least expensive end and decide what you really like. Go to Amazon and search "Casio MTP" and you will see a huge variety of inexpensive- sub $40- options. Once you've found what you like and a good size, then you can upgrade to the SARB / Orient options when you have more cash.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420994016.598432.jpg

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
You should also check Melbourne Watch Co. Suj makes some really nice watches.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts