WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
I think you'd get a better response on the Public Forum. You may even want to search there for threads that already have dozens of responses to this same question.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Depends what you define as a "Swiss" watch. A lot of watches labeled "Swiss Made" are nothing more than swiss movements in foreign-sourced cases, and lot of watches that are not "Swiss Made" achieve or exceed Swiss levels of quality.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Look up the Timefactors Precista line.

Look at MkII.

Some will say Seiko has good bang for buck in parts of their gigantic lineup.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree - at the moment, The Swatch Group (who own Hamilton), are spending a truck load of money to grow the brand, and are therefore offering a very well made piece and a good ETA mechanism for a good price. (I must admit I own one from about 4 years ago, and they were even better value then).
On a persoanl note, I would not buy any watch moving forward from the Swatch Group, as they use their dominance to strangle the watch world of mechanisms, in particular, the ETA movement (which they also own) - but that is a political reason, not a quality reason.
Bang for your buck, you cannot go past a Hamilton at the moment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you say "quality", you have to say Rado - they're keepers plus they're unusual and there's no doubt about how innovative and material-wise advanced they are...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Mido are worth a look. Along with Hamilton these are part of the Swatch group.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I second the Hamilton and Mido choices (both a part of Swatch), Revue Thommen's "manufacture" line (some vintage looking watches with inhouse movements from their time as part of MSR holdings, especially the "Cricket" - originally a Vulcain model, but they were also part of MSR then), now they're a part of Grovana ... Ebel from the Movado Group (slightly pricier, look for their older models many are available NOS), and perhaps a few others. As a couple of others in this thread, I'm trying to move away from Swatch Group offerings too, but I'm afraid, the lure of Omega is a bit too strong for now ...

Forgot to add Oris ... don't own one, but have heard plenty of good things about it. You could also look at plenty of up-and-coming brands like JeanRichard, Fredrique Constant and Maurice Lacroix, but I'm afraid I don't know much about them. I feel that Zenith offers great value for a true "manufacture" at a slightly higher price range ...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Oris offer incredible value for money in my opinion. I believe they're going to try and price themselves upward in the coming years, but right now are a steal.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
The bargains of the watch world aren't necessarily Swiss, most say "Made in Japan" on them.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Chinese watches are even better value for the money but the OP did state Swiss, so...

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Zodiac. As much as I lament the passing of the original company, they're starting to make some pretty nice watches.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts