WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be it ebay, brick and mortar, or websites. In your experience from having purchased so many watches, what brands/types of watches have you been dissappointed with?
What watches have gained your utmost loyalty?
I amm looking for input to narrow down my next round of watch searching..
Thanks, guys and gals.
Snivern

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Wow, this is a good thread, but you will get ALOT of answers, personally the worst IMO, is Invicta. I've owned 2 and neither were worth the money spent on them, maybe just bad picks? But the brand that has my utmost loyalty is Seiko, have owned 6-7 Seikos and will continue to buy them. No matter if you buy their cheapest piece, or their top of the line, all of them are money well spent and worth more than their usual selling price. Type- well, that is too subjective, I like chronos and divers personally.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Hi Muxinick,

A huge congrats on both your marriage and your college graduation! :-!

Hi Snivern,

Good topic! To be honest, I don't actually have a worst, yet. I've been kinda picky(and lucky) with my few purchases.
Worthy of loyalty? Well, the Citizen Promaster series is pretty excellent. I've owned two, and both were outstanding watches. Eco-Drive, Citizen's solar powered quartz movement, is very accurate and reliable.
The Ball Watch Co. makes very high quality Swiss made watches, that can easily go toe-to-toe with Swiss makes 3 times more expensive. I've only been able to afford one, so far, but hope to add one or two more in the not too far future.
Ocean7 is a rising new company that makes high quality watches with great looking, clean, uncluttered dials. I own their first model, the limited edition LM-1, and am expecting delivery of my second Ocean7, the LM-3, tomorrow! :-!

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
The only flat out awful watch I've owned was a "Magico".
Supposedly these are better now though.

While I agree this is a fine topic, lets just let everyone have their respective say please without argument?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
- Fake Rolex putchased for 20 from guy off the street. Have never done this myself but do know a few who tried the "fake rolex" stunt and none has lasted more than a week.

- 5 buck watches that you can sometimes get at gas stations. If you get a week out of it you're lucky.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Good buys for the Money and earned loyalty? Seiko comes to mind immediately - currently own 5 and they are all well made and just keep running. Midos are underappreciated and I believe represent good bang-for-the-buck in the "mid-range" for Swatch. Own two and love both of them.

Terrible buys for the money? Hmmmm, anything on eBay with a bad picture. ShopNBC retreads (got one Orient that was not ok - everyone tells me that Orients are great - that had apparently been repackaged by ShopNBC). Cheap Russian watches - they're often like the Gas Station watches - base metal cases, sloppy manufacture, etc (there are solid Russian watches but they don't cost <$40). They are conversation pieces only.

·
5,118 Posts
My hands down worst experience is with Invicta. I've bought four of them and three failed in under a year. Returned one for a refund and had the other two repaired under warranty. Both broke again. My version of the 8926 is the only one that's been trouble free.

Prague (Plague) is also pretty bad. I went through three failed units on the model I bought from Overstock before they finally gave me a full refund.

Brands that have earned my respect are Orient and Tissot. Both produce excellent products that offer outstanding value for money. Also Casio for its G-Shocks.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Wow I missed the "utmost loyalty" part of the post.
I'm a Damasko raver, thru and thru.
Love em.
Can't scratch em, love the look and they keep near quartz time in an auto.
Hard to buy tho.

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
I think the worst would be any watch that turns your wrist green:-d

·
Registered
817 Posts
Personally, my worst experience with a watch was with Sector. About a year ago, I bought a brand-new one from nationally recognized, well-known dealer, and when I went to set the time, the crown came off in my hand. Sent it back, and the "new" one was missing the minute hand. Sector and obviously dealer QC was abysmal!! Sent it back, took the half the money and bought a Seiko from someone else...should have done that in the first place!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Best: Marathon TSAR, various Citizen Eco-Drive in DuraTec Ti, G-Shocks with lithium cells, Timex

Worst: G-Shocks with solar cells, Invicta

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Best: Marathon TSAR, various Citizen Eco-Drive in DuraTec Ti, G-Shocks with lithium cells, Timex

Worst: G-Shocks with solar cells, Invicta
Mike,

Not being a G-Shock guy I have no opinion but that is the very first time I have ever heard a negative comment about them. What is so bad about the solar cell G-Shocks?

Reactions: SeanoftheDead516

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Mike,

Not being a G-Shock guy I have no opinion but that is the very first time I have ever heard a negative comment about them. What is so bad about the solar cell G-Shocks?
So easy for me. :-!Invicta

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I forgot to mention my 2 Ocean Ghosts with the custom fingerprints under the crystal :-d

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I forgot to mention my 2 Ocean Ghosts with the custom fingerprints under the crystal :-d
A while back it was rumored that the following was found in every new Watchmakers Bench shipped at Christmas time.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Swear to God... My Dad wore a fake Rolex Presidential that he got for 20 bucks in NY for about 10 years!

It was friggin hillarious. When he passed, we sent the watch with him. It was still working... :)

- Fake Rolex putchased for 20 from guy off the street. Have never done this myself but do know a few who tried the "fake rolex" stunt and none has lasted more than a week.

- 5 buck watches that you can sometimes get at gas stations. If you get a week out of it you're lucky.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts