WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A post in another thread got me thinking about my self-imposed rules for my collection. Some are there to keep the collection from spiraling out of control all "Hoarders: Watches Special Edition" style, and some are there to remind me not to get caught up in hype/irrational lust and forget what looks good on me and suits my needs (i.e., don't waste money on baubles). So here are my rules - what are yours?

1. The "Zeppelin" Rule: no more than one piece per maker (exceptions for: Pre-WIS brands, vintage pieces, PAM homages)
2. The "Blatant Type" Rule: No more than 5 QUARTZ chronos (already have 4...)
3. The "Be Realistic" Rule: No more than 2 divers ('cause you aren't a diver, son)
4. The "Wrist-Clock" Rule: No watches over 44mm, no matter how pretty. (Exception: Radiomir homages)
5. The "Arm Barnacle" Rule: Don't believe the hype, you'll look ridiculous wearing an Orange Monster (or comparable).
6. The "Invicta" Rule: No Invicta.
7. The "Mushroom" Rule: Avoid mushrooms - keep your eyes on the prize.
8. The "Know Thyself" Rule: In my better moments I know that quality beats quantity - try to focus on fewer quality pieces.
9. The "3 and out" Rule: If you haven't worn it in 3 months, you aren't going to. Flip it. (Hasn't actually happened yet!)

Anything I should add? :)

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I used to have a one per brand rule. Now I have two Seikos and I'm contemplating a second Orient Star when I get some watches sold.

I guess my only real rule is: Don't buy things I know I won't be happy with.

This means no more $200 watches with folded end links and mineral crystals because I know I won't be happy without solid end links, machined clasps, and sapphire. I find myself much more attracted to Japanese makers for their added design details in the case shape itself, opposed to the rather simple cases put out by the Swiss.

It also means $40-$60 Russian and Chinese watches are attractive again. I expect almost nothing for the price but they deliver a huge amount of character.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
1. Size restrictions - nothing smaller than ~38mm, nothing larger than ~46mm
2. Automatic/mechanical from now on, wherever possible. Exception for 1 quartz chronograph.
3. No completely flat dials. At a minimum, must either have applied indexes, or some sort of texture (possible exception for one future fleigler).
4. No Invicta for sure. 99% sure no Parnis.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a "must have a sapphire crystal" rule. Mostly because I tend to be rough on watches.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I've only had one rule but another rule kind of grew organically.

My first and only rule for the longest time; a watch must be worn in order to remain in the collection.

My most recent rule that came to me as I was gathering pics for my 1000 post; don't buy anything if I'm not 100% satisfied with every single element of the watch. There have been a lot of watches that I loved except for one seemingly trivial thing. It could be a slanted date at the 4:30 position, or poor lume, or too much lettering on the dial, etc.. If there is *anything* that I just kinda/sorta bugs me, I take a pass. I now know myself well enough that even the tiniest little thing will grow and fester and I'll end up flipping it.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rule #1: Don't trust anyone's rules who thinks they'll look ridiculous wearing an Orange Monster.
Lol, well, I'm not trying to proselytize. Anyway, maybe I'll have to try on something comparable, but I'm pretty sure I would at least think I look ridiculous. :) But my I am wrong. ;-)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
...but I'm pretty sure I would at least think I look ridiculous.
UN-POSSIBLE

There is only one way to look while wearing an Orange Monster. AWESOME. It's like having Chuck Norris strapped to your wrist. b-)

You have to own one at some point. Only then will be able to appreciate the amount of industrial strength awesome every OM is made of. The simple act of wearing one makes you walk like this EVERYWHERE

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
NightOwl, I really appreciate your most recent rule. I would like to adopt it. However, being so new in this watch game, and especially in the affordable arena, I find it difficult not to compromise. Well, difficult only because I want instant gratification as opposed to saving for something that checks off every box.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
NightOwl, I really appreciate your most recent rule. I would like to adopt it. However, being so new in this watch game, and especially in the affordable arena, I find it difficult not to compromise. Well, difficult only because I want instant gratification as opposed to saving for something that checks off every box.
Not always the easiest rule to keep. Instant gratification is a powerful drug, like high grade, uncut bam bam (or so I've heard). It only got easier for me because I've been through so many watches and the allure of a new incoming isn't the what it use to be. I've discovered a certain Zen about hunting the perfect specimen. No compromises and no settling. Doesn't happen often but when it does, it's that much more satisfying.

If you're dabbling in the sub $200 price range, I'd say have your fun. Easy to flip and if you bought something that only looks good, then it's not too hard of a hit if nobody wants it and you end up gifting it away.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The WUS rule: there is no rules

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Man, I really hope I'm not the only one around here who is so much of a "J" that I have to have a written set of rules in order to feel satisfied about my rules.

How much of a J, you ask? I have a separate Google calendar for my watches, to log what I've worn on a given day, so that I can keep track of how long it's been since I wore a piece. :rodekaart

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Ah, Myers-Briggs! I thought you were being exceptionally polite and avoiding the word 'jerk' :)
Sounds like an appropriate use of calendar technology to me

Although I do have my spice rack in alphabetical order..

1 - 20 of 122 Posts