WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you willing to go into credit card financing?
How much should be left at the bank?
Borrow from you parents/relatives?
Percentage of your annual salary?
A certain limit on how much you can spend?
Never spend this much on this "brand" or "movement"?
Buy only on Christmas and on your birthday.
What else?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Needs to be the absolute definition of disposable income.

Wife, daughter, son come first, no exceptions. And while it may sound overly dramatic, I know how these things go. It is VERY, very easy for some of us compulsive types to dig a hole when it comes to "collecting." I personally can so easily fall into the trap of "NEED to have" or the ever popular "but honey, it was SUCH a good deal that I simply couldn't pass it up..."

Anyway, if you regret the expenditure, you most likely spent too much, no matter the watch/car/house/shoes/etc...

Dan

Reactions: scooby

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
-Must fit inside the watch box(one in, one out)

-Must fit the bill(disposable income after saving)

Not much rules after that, If I wanted it bad enough I'll save up for it. There's many watch that I like but I can't bring myself to buy something that I will rarely wear.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
1. Tithes and donations
2. Max out retirement savings
3. Expenses
4. Regular savings and emergency fund
5. Toys (including watches) only as needed

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
From experience, there are watches that I never connect with an always sell, so:

* No watches > 45mm diameter and >15mm height
* No watches with a plastic bezel

·
Registered
25 Posts
You buying a house or a watch?
:)
<<<<<<Are you willing to go into credit card financing?>>>>>>
<<<<<<How much should be left at the bank?>>>>>>
<<<<<<Borrow from you parents/relatives?>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<Percentage of your annual salary?>>>>>>>
A certain limit on how much you can spend?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Remember that a watch doesn't have to be expensive to be interesting or collectible. If in doubt spend time on the Russian forum, where collecting is more about attitude than activity.

·
Registered
15,199 Posts
If you don't have the cash, don't buy the watch.
Bingo!
Bruce Lee woulda said the same. "The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity."

Excellent Faulkner quote btw. Verrry trrrue.
Nothing ever is past, or in the future: it's all right here, right now, everything.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Two rules apart from "pay cash":

Buy from reputable sources.

A new purchase must add something different to the collection.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Only two primary rules I abide by for my own new watch purchases:

1. Always pay in cash (I never buy a watch that is more than I can afford as I also have other, more important responsibilities to my wife and kids; watches are not worth going into debt for which is why I personally don't understand using financing/credit to purchase them but to each their own)

2. Always buy from an AD

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I'm always amazed by how completely financially responsible watch collectors (those that post on forums) are.
These little nuggets simply DO NOT APPLY to watch collectors by golly! :
Average credit card debt per household with credit card debt: $15,799
*he total amount of consumer debt in the US is nearly $2.4 trillion
in 2010. That’s $7,800 debt per person.

Read more: 9 Alarming U.S. Consumer Debt Statistics - Business Insider
I've used credit LOTS of times to buy watches, it's the american way.
I hope to die broke as a joke.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cash only. It may take awhile, but it will be more treasured in the end. Plus as an added bonus, I may find a really good deal during the wait.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Needs to be the absolute definition of disposable income.

Wife, daughter, son come first, no exceptions. And while it may sound overly dramatic, I know how these things go. It is VERY, very easy for some of us compulsive types to dig a hole when it comes to "collecting." I personally can so easily fall into the trap of "NEED to have" or the ever popular "but honey, it was SUCH a good deal that I simply couldn't pass it up..."

Anyway, if you regret the expenditure, you most likely spent too much, no matter the watch/car/house/shoes/etc...

Dan
Wiser words were never said.
I thought I was the only compulsive one in the room...Now I don't feel so alone.

I almost fell in the trap again tonight, but something pulled me back. I just need to remember those words above.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I only buy watches to commemorate occasions. I do not remember when or how it started, but pretty much every watch in my collection today has been to mark a milestone. Those that were not have since departed my collection.

Just because I can does not mean I should, and I save buying my more favorite watches for very special occasions. This way, my watches have personal meaning, and they are more than mere pieces of jewelry.

It's been great -- I moderate my purchases, and I appreciate them a whole lot more.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts