WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
121 - 140 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I imposed a moratorium on watch purchases in May 2019, which was supposed to be over by Xmas 2019. I’m extending it to May 2020, maybe past that. I can’t think of a single watch* that I want beyond my core rotation of 4-5, and I still have 5-6 that I want to sell before adding anything more. It’s been amazing and gratifying to me to see how a buying freeze and sell-off has allowed me to enjoy and appreciate what I already have. I realize that sounds logical and blindly obvious to many members of the forum, but for the last few years I have conflated watch collecting w/watch buying, and I’m very glad to have a new perspective now.

[*] Anything under $25k, that is. I’d love to have a UN Freak, or a VC Overseas, or a Lange 1812 Up Down, or maybe an RGM Baseball in Enamel. I have absolutely no interest in Rolex at current deranged pricing; someday when the bubble bursts I might pick up a Polar Explorer ... I’ve considered a UN GMT, a GP Traveler, an IWC Mark XVII, maybe a 42mm Panerai ... but nothing that I feel like spending money on.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Such an interesting question. I hadn't really taken the time to consider what 2020 will be like in any regard, but this hobby is as good a place as any to start.

This year, I essentially started my collection over from scratch. My ever-faithful Rolex Explorer left the stable for some personal reasons, effectively replaced by my longtime grail: the Milgauss. As my life changed, my feelings toward watches changed as well. I nearly pulled away from this world altogether, but in the end some friends and new acquaintances convinced me not to walk away from my passions. This has driven my acquisition of the two other pieces in my current rotation, the Montblanc and Nomos.

For 2020, I'd like to continue to distill my tastes and collection. I don't foresee myself ever being entirely satisfied; after all, what fun is this hobby if you don't get to try out new things? That being said, I think I've reached a point at which I find myself primarily interested in pieces beyond my current budget (paying for grad school is getting in the way!). I'd like to sample some pieces from A. Lange & Sohne, Vacheron Constantin, Laurent Ferrier, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, and others. Known and lesser-known models among them, these are the pieces I find drawing my interest. Not for the hype, but for the mechanical and horological ingenuity that took place in their creation.

It's possible that at some point this year I'm able to acquire one of these dream watches; I definitely feel my career is on the verge of a major shift. However, it's also entirely possible I purchase nothing but a few straps. Regardless, for the first time in a long time I'm excited to see what this year brings. If there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that you all will be around to share it with me.

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
160 Posts
2019 started off pretty slow. I ventured into my first Kickstarter project and ordered the Hamtun H2. It is being delayed but looking forward to receiving it soon...hopefully to kick off 2020.
Fast forward to the end of the year and I see an Oris Aquis that I had been lusting..... for a long time and purchased it few days ago. I didn't stop at that and in an adrenaline rush also purchased a diver 65 as I could just not resist the offer. Unfortunately certain family issues cropped up and I'm forced to sell them both off as I need the cash urgently. But I'm new to all this and finding it difficult to sell as I believe it is trust issues .
Hopefully I can pass these on to some Oris lovers soon and purchase them back in 2020 when the ship is steady.
Who knows....what's in store in the future.
Wishing all a Happy 2020.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am actually looking to consolidate my collection in 2020. I have the following pieces. Looking to trim the collection down to 3 pieces. Might be a combination of sell and buy to get there.

Current collection:
- Rolex Milgauss Z-Blue
- Omega PO 8900 Black
- Tudor Pelagos Blue In-House Calibre
- Grand Seiko SD GMT White Dial
- Grand Seiko SBGR357 Black Dial
- Oris Aquis Regulator Red

The Milgauss, Grand Seiko GMT and the Oris will likely be parted with. And potentially the Pelagos as well. Will probably consolidate all these into a Lange 1 if financials work out.

Final collection will look like:
Omega PO 8900 black
Grand Seiko SBGR357
Lange 1

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
For me, it’s a wait and see what the major brands will be releasing in 2020. That gives me a chance to allocate my budget. There are some watches that came out this year and last year that are on my short long):think: But all depends on next year’s new releases.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd like to just enjoy what i've already got in the collection. No plans for 2020, but that's what I said for 2019 too and Grand Seiko go and release their beautiful dials... I'm hoping they don't do that again.

I would still like to find a 2016 L.U.C Qualite Fleurier in RG with slate dial.

·
Registered
35,895 Posts
As I retire on the 31st December STOP buying watches is the New Years resolution!!

Same as last year, and the year before............

But then comes SIHH 2020 and Panerai will release more temptation!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've got a couple that need service and repairs, so ideally I'll not buy any watches in 2020, and focus on getting my own collection taken care of. I don't have a dressy watch now, but I don't really need one, either. If I really need a dressy watch, I'll find a thin quartz two hander and rock that to the party... Or just toss on the G-Shock, cuz who here wouldn't rock a G with a tux?
That, and I need to save up for a longer period to get something nicer next time. I keep spending smallish amounts here and there but if I just sit tight for a year or two and build a savings...
Yeah, we'll see!

·
Registered
134 Posts
2016 to October 2019: no watch purchases.

October-November 2019: went crazy and dropped cash on two Spring Drive Grand Seikos, a Seiko Sumo, and a Seiko Marinemaster.

2020: never look at another watch site again for fear of killing my finances!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I’m with you in wanting to keep some dial color diversity in my core collection, and have my eye on a sibling of the FOIS:

Granted, it comes at steep premium over the FOIS on the preowned market (60%), but the lumed ceramic tachymetre bezel and that wonderful dial have really drawn me in.
Really like this one too but the premium over the normal one is too much for me. At that price I think about the Zenith El Primero 38mm with white dial.

Reactions: 94574

·
Read Only
7,342 Posts
Really like this one too but the premium over the normal one is too much for me. At that price I think about the Zenith El Primero 38mm with white dial.
It’s been awhile since I’ve owned an El Primero, but that one is also in the running. As is a very left field option, the Grand Seiko SBGB001.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Great thread to start! I'm trying to keep 2020 simple, limiting to 1 or 2 watches max and maybe even offloading 1 or 2 that I dont use.

Looking at adding either a Stowa Flieger automatic, something from Sinn, or a Nomos if I have the money.

I'm slowly starting to realize that having more than 5 watches is not very practical for me anymore, especially when I keep going back to the same 3.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My only watch goal for 2020 is picking up a Sinn 556i. This will end my current collection at: Sinn 556i, Brew Retrograph (Technicolor), Hamilton Khaki Mechanical (white dial), Seiko SKX007 (on strapcode jubilee), and G-Shock DW5600. Once I have the Sinn, my final goal will be to upgrade my straps.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
It’s been awhile since I’ve owned an El Primero, but that one is also in the running. As is a very left field option, the Grand Seiko SBGB001.
Although I'm starting to really like GS (especially having visited Japan twice in the last 2 years) and keep trying to see how I can add one to my collection, GS Chronographs are just a huge no to me design wise.

Actually the chronograph is my favourite complication but it surprises me how few I like. I prefer versatile chronographs that can be dressed up or down. That JLC Master Chronograph with sector dial is also a looker but then it doesn't have a running seconds hand which I would need so I know it's working. I'm also not the type to leave the chronograph running even though it's got a vertical clutch. The hunt continues.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I keep wanting a Tudor Ranger...but every time I put it on, I feel unimpressed. I might have to try it again.
So... I went in again to the AD gave the watch another look over. It's chunky for sure and even though I don't like chunky non diver watches, this wasn't an issue. Something kept bugging me about it as I handled the watch.. tried it on.. spun it around.. Tossed it across the store a few times... The lugs are short and against the wrist make it look "stubby" to me as I have flat wrists. This is probably now crossed off my list. The store was packed so I may have to check it out again once the holidays subside.

·
Registered
125 Posts
To join in, I was thinking about this I realized I only bought 2 in 2019 but received 4 as gifts or inherited.

For 2020, I also intend to get rid of a few older microbrand purchases made long ago and no longer wear. Then hopefully mature the collection up a bit with something off my short list I have been monitoring on watch patrol for what seems like years:

- Omega MK 40 colorful dial, just the right spaceview, carrera calibre 6 chronometer blue subdial
- and dream about a yellow EMG nemo for a preowned price, and Halios fairwind should I be so lucky

121 - 140 of 239 Posts