WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure while on the hunt for many vintages watches you have come across a gorgeous watch with the original case, crown, movement, etc, but then you notice it has a repainted dial. Whats your first thought? And im not just talkin' about your average Mumbai special on eBay (lol) but just in particular. Do you guys see a major decrease in value, even if it is stylishly done? Would you wear the watch knowing the dial is a repaint/ refinish? I'd like to hear everyone's opinion. b-)

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
My first thought is always a big thumb down. Occasionally -i'll see a vintage watch that is either difficult to find or particularly rare that has a dial so well re-done that I might overlook this but in general-I would rather a dial have a bit of wear and tear (patina as they say) then a redone dial.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I don't collect watches of much value - mainly Bulovas and Elgins - but I still avoid obvious redials as much as I can. This is mostly because the quality of the redial is often poor - alignment and line crispness and thickness issues really turn me off. That said, I enjoy a dial with a lot of "character" - and will wear dials that are pretty far from pristine.

However, I do have some redials in my collection. Mostly these dials are well-done and on watches that may be hard to come by...

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
I go with DaBaeker
My first thought is always a big thumb down. Occasionally -i'll see a vintage watch that is either difficult to find or particularly rare that has a dial so well re-done that I might overlook this but in general-I would rather a dial have a bit of wear and tear (patina as they say) then a redone dial.
Is thah Titony a redial?
Why?
I can not even guess with one sideways picture.

Reactions: bobbee

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
No I can not tell, and surely not with a movement photo

I need straight on dial photos (12 at 12)

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
It is very simple :)
Redial is redial. Good or bad it is just a redial, the watch will never be the way it was intended to be again.
And You will know it while wearing it. That will eat You alive from inside :D

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
I would rather wear a watch with the ugliest abused dial then to sport a redialed one, its like takin' out the soul of the watch....altough when it comes to vintage dresswatches,I'm perfectly fine with restoring a case and cleaning the dial/hands if it makes sense.I think the main problem with the redial topic is that 99% of these products are made for deception and tricking the unaware buyer, on the other hand I fully understand if there are watches with sentimental value for their owners and their dial gets "unusable" for one subjective reason or another and they go for a redial but from that moment it pretty much loses its collectors value in which I'm personally interested

S

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd always prefer an original dial - even if it's a little worn and faded here and there. The only time where I'm really in favour of 'restored' dials (where the dial has been repainted back to it's original factory design) is on old chronographs where the clarity of the dial markings are essential to the watch being able to perform it's intended function.As for repainted dials that are not a 'restored' dial, that are nothing like anything that ever came out of the factory - in whacky colours and designs that were never intended for the watch - I'm not at all keen, and wouldn't ever buy a watch like that unless it was for spare/donor parts.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
For me the heart of a watch is it's movement and a well made redial is just fine and is often the difference between a watch just laying unused and unloved or used and loved. Redials have always been part of the watch history and many so called NOS originals have most likely been redialed or had the dials replaced in the past.

Sure collectors might frown at a redial but I'll tell you a secret. Most watches were actually made for people to wear!!! This is what gives an old watch a nice patina in the first place and when a watch just looked to bad it was rediale or had the dial replaced.

The problem today is that people try to make money by faking or being dishonest so redial has almost become a dirty word.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
INTERESTING bunch of opinions expressed here about dial aesthetics. I simply do not acquire any poor dial condition w. w. One exception is a 1965 basic OMEGA model 600 from junk sale $40. Gold fill watch and band show some use but nice running condition with a moldy dial. Gold markers and hands fine. Carefully used acetone to remove dial markings and left a fairly uniformly mottled appearance surface with the good Omega gold markings. Looks good to me with its now unusual uniformly textured original dial. Not well shown here because of photo glare. artb

IMG_8324ax.jpg omegax.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts