WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Love the way the look and the design. Materials are good, and the size of the 420 case is perfect.

Unfortunatley, reliability and Quality Control are pretty hit and miss. I've owned I think 5, and 1 was good when it came to time keeping and actually held up.
My fav, is the Zissou.

I wish it were a better watch, for me at least, but others have had better experience.

What exactly are you looking for in your watch? Perhaps we could also suggest some others for you.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Like anything Russian from those times, the quality is crudimentary. Considering what most of the non-defense industry companies were given to work with by the government, it's a wonder anything worked that was built there. That said, like many other items manufactured at the time---motorcycles, cars, guns, tractors, clothing--they are designed in a way to be repairable by the same person who breaks them.

Russian steels, outside of the defense industry, were subpar at best, and dangerous at worst. I worked on a Russian built POST COLD WAR power plant that used 26mm studs, roughly 1" to the imperials, to hold down the cover on a turbine..... The torque spec for those bolts was 140 NM, roughly 100 ft lbs. To put that into perspective, the lug nut torque on a Ford F-250 with 14mm lug studs is 165 ft lbs.

Side by side with a Seiko, Orient, even a Timex, will show their faults quickly. However, the rather intricate designs on the dials and casebacks, lets you in to the mind of the people who tried very hard to make something special out of very little. When given unlimited everything, they can make high quality products. Faberge, et al. Quality suffers from raw material issues, among other things.

They're fun watches, but don't spend too much on them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mostly I really like their unique vintage military look. I like their kind of quirky nature. And the heritage and history behind their creation is very interesting. I'm probably going to order a couple of them to give them a try. Maybe one of them will be a good one. Maybe both!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Those are awesome. Especially the cosmonaut. I don't remember seeing any of those on Meranom.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Pretty much everything has been said already, I just wanted to post a video of a tour of their factory. A large part of their appeal for me is that they still make every part in their classic Komandirskie/Amphibia lines in house (some of the new stuff is outsourced). They have a few fairly modern CNC machines, but most is still done on old manual Soviet era mills and lathes, the same way it was done for the last 50 years. A lot of hand regulation of parts, lume pips applies by hand, etc. It has an air of old world craftsmanship and imperfection completely at odds with the current Swiss factories (heavily automated clean rooms).

·
Registered
522 Posts
They are quirky and have a cool background.

Other than that, I'm not a fan. I don't think the quality is good, and most of the unmodded ones look like toys to me. But they have lots of personality and considering you can get many for ~£50 they're not bad value.

I quite like this dressy watch for the price

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was talking to a former Russian submarine captain with one arm. He said that there is no truth that Vostok watches had exceptional lumen when close to a reactor.

"Comrade, we Russian are very practical. We put watch IN reactor and get nice glow. Keep hand warm too."

"Which hand" I asked. :oops:

😜

(It's a JOKE! Last time I joked about Vostoks, a few people started tossing Molotov cocktails.)

I'm considering buying one just for the curiosity factor. It certainly a conversation starter. And it would be my first mechanical since my twenties.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Great thread. I ordered my first Vostok a few weeks ago and am anxiously waiting for it to arrive. Sounds like they can be a bit of a gamble but not a big risk given their price.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Only had one some years ago. I was disappointed after other owners hype. For no apparent reason it stopped after about 18 months. I didn't really gel with it and so binned it. I understand the novelty value and I must admit I liked some of the designs, but being political, I would not give my money to support putin's regime. Nearly as bad as trump's ;-)

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you like their quirky nature and can appreciate it for that, you'll enjoy the watch. My first automatic was a 420 case Scuba Dude, bought used 6 years ago. It's been in the hot springs of Iceland, took a ride with me to the emergency room after a hike gone wrong and is still going strong. Maybe I got lucky. Just buy some Polywatch for the inevitable scratches on the crystal. I find the semi-quickset date setting to be meditative, but to each their own.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Regulation is fairly easy, it just takes some play and see, you will need something to help you take off the case back though.
Some great comments.

Are there other dive watches you are looking at? Do you have a price range?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Are there other dive watches you are looking at? Do you have a price range?
I bought a Seiko SSC about 7-8 years ago. Long before I had any interest in a watch collection. So that was my first real watch, other than a G-Shock. In my newly found interest, I watched a ton of videos and many of them were Marc's from Island watch. He just released a few new Islanders and the white face one makes me think of a Star Wars stormtrooper. I really like it. Other divers I was considering are all more modern. Glycine Combat Sub. Orient Kamasu.

As far as budget goes, if I REALLY like something, I may go up to $500. But I would like to keep things at $300 or less. Most of what I have collected so far is under $200.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts