Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Composite (Metal/Plastic)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. There are tons of options available to attach a watch to your hand. One choice might be too restrictive so I ask your top two.

There are also all kinds of reasons to consider like looks, price, durability, comfort, fashion, ethical (no leather), function (diving). So please share why you chose what?

I'm a classical guy but I still have a slight preference for linked metal bracelets. They are the most durable and I just like their looks and that I don't have to change them every few years. I can also get them wet without a problem.

The second choice would be leather. Particularly exotic leather (croco, gator, sting ray, lizard, shark, ostrich) because it just looks very elegant on the right watch. It is also very light and thus a bit more comfortable unless it gets sticky from sweat. I usually wear leather more in the winter.

Thanks for your input! :-!

Till

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
I like the oyster style bracelet for metals & the woven nylon zulu/nato/raf type for non metal.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
i prefer the exotics, but breitling pilot bracelets are very nice but iwc aquatimer/inge bracelets are the best!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I actually enjoy all types of straps/bracelets, but for looks I like straps. I really like good quality rubber straps and exotic leather the most. I like bracelets too but to me there are very little visual variety in bracelets. They all end up looking the same even when they are quite different.

BTW, I think this thread needs a picture or two.;-)

Some of my favorite rubber straps:

Exotics:

Shark

Gator

Ammo (that's kind of sort of exotic isn't it?)

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Leather (alligator/croc etc) for my vintages:

Rubber/resin or Velcro for my sports watches:

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GX, that's a very nice collection and the bracelets show how much you care. The only thorn in my eye is the blue thread on the Breitling gator strap. It looks like really cheap nylon packaging string and the color doesn't match, either. Plus it's too thick for the strap in proportion. What a pity because the leather is beautiful and the idea with the matching thread is nice. I would find a different solution for that. Given that the leather is already stitched it might be possible to take this thread out and put a new one in yourself by hand. I know that is probably an expensive custom job but that one is seriously gone wrong. The Ammo strap is much nicer!

Oh, and the photos are really good, too. Of course, the Airwolf still gets to me also. :)

Till

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
deleted double

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
GX, that's a very nice collection and the bracelets show how much you care. The only thorn in my eye is the blue thread on the Breitling gator strap. It looks like really cheap nylon packaging string and the color doesn't match, either. Plus it's too thick for the strap in proportion. What a pity because the leather is beautiful and the idea with the matching thread is nice. I would find a different solution for that. Given that the leather is already stitched it might be possible to take this thread out and put a new one in yourself by hand. I know that is probably an expensive custom job but that one is seriously gone wrong. The Ammo strap is much nicer!

Oh, and the photos are really good, too. Of course, the Airwolf still gets to me also. :)

Till
Thanks for the advice about that gator strap.:) Yes it was a custom job and actually it turned out more or less as I wanted. I do see your point about the stitching being too thick, but in person it hasn't been something I've noticed. The color indeed doesn't match the dial but then again I didn't expect it to match. I mean, Breitling's own blue rubber strap also doesn't match the shade of blue on the dial. But yeah, I understand that many people probably won't like that strap. My cousin made fun of it when he saw it for the first time.o|

I actually was meaning to post the croc strap on my Seiko:-d

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice about that gator strap.:) Yes it was a custom job and actually it turned out more or less as I wanted. I do see your point about the stitching being too thick, but in person it hasn't been something I've noticed. The color indeed doesn't match the dial but then again I didn't expect it to match. I mean, Breitling's own blue rubber strap also doesn't match the shade of blue on the dial. But yeah, I understand that many people probably won't like that strap. My cousin made fun of it when he saw it for the first time.o|

I actually was meaning to post the croc strap on my Seiko:-d
You really are out to make me jealous tonight, huh? That Seiko and strap is gorgeous. Is that the OEM strap or a custom job also?

Let me see what I can strike back with. :-d

Till

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright. So here is my darling JLC on what I find is one of the most exquisite bracelets on the market only equaled by the AP Royal Oak and perhaps an IWC bracelet.

In the close-up you can see how each link is faceted. It could need a little polish work but I'll wait another year or so. I've had it serviced twice at JLC under warranty. In Germany they give you a brand new JLC gator strap when they service the watch whether it needs it or not and you get the old one back. So now I have two nice black gators for it but they are in Germany, unfortunately.

Talking about gators. Below is a Louisiana Baby Belly gator from Jean-Claude Perrin in Paris. I admit not wearing this watch very often but that strap is about 14 years old. Still holding up well.

Cheers,

Till

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I like the Watchadoo and Anvil style bracelets a lot.
I have a Davidsen that came on a shell cordovan strap that's nice, and love the Heroic straps.

But the nicest strap I have ever seen is from a custom maker in Paris, the specially tanned croc by abp. It's unbelievable.

·
Banned
637 Posts
There's one option missing. Textile. One of my favourite straps are the canvas straps from timefactors. I generally avoid leather, as it is not apropriate for my use and gets stinky rather quickly. I wear a watch day and night, get sweatty regularly, shower with my watches... I own leather straps as well, but find they're somewhat limiting.

Metal bracelets are ok in this respect, but most are a bit too shiny.

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's one option missing. Textile. One of my favourite straps are the canvas straps from timefactors. I generally avoid leather, as it is not apropriate for my use and gets stinky rather quickly. I wear a watch day and night, get sweatty regularly, shower with my watches... I own leather straps as well, but find they're somewhat limiting.

Metal bracelets are ok in this respect, but most are a bit too shiny.
Ooh, darn it, canvas is missing. I really hadn't thought of that. Too be honest it's quite niche thing probably. How do the canvas straps hold up to humidity? Are they cotton? What about sweat stains or smell. Cotton canvas isn't ideal for that from a textile technology standpoint.

Till

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But the nicest strap I have ever seen is from a custom maker in Paris, the specially tanned croc by abp. It's unbelievable.
The strap on the Cartier above is by Perrin who is the man behind abp. I will be in Paris in a about a week and guess where I'll be going. ;)

Till

·
Banned
637 Posts
Ooh, darn it, canvas is missing. I really hadn't thought of that. Too be honest it's quite niche thing probably. How do the canvas straps hold up to humidity? Are they cotton? What about sweat stains or smell. Cotton canvas isn't ideal for that from a textile technology standpoint.

Till
They're surprisingly sturdy and comfortable. I bought a couple because they were so cheap, but they perform excellently. Ageing is noticeable only on the colour, they fade pretty quickly, but I find it adds a nice touch to it. I have no sweat stains (but then again they get washed regularly as I shower).

Yes, they are cotton canvas. I know it is not ideal, but it works far better than it is to be expected. I expected them to wear out quickly, but somehow, they don't. I haven't managed to stink one up yet - a friend of mine has, but he's high-activity and regularly manages to stink up even natos. I would wear them more often, but my Seiko diver, which currently gets most of wrist-time, looks simply ridiculous on them - like an elefant on a bicycle. For some uses, they're simply to dainty and low-profile. I prefer the olive ones. The khaki are somewhat too light, black looks even thinner and other colours are not to my taste.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Leather's my favorite (both normal and exotic - calf/croc/lizard/ostrich), 3 or 4 bracelets I really like, not a fan of rubber. I'd like to start using some on mesh and some on nylon, seems like a good idea.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts