WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
What caliber that can last forever ?
With proper servicing they will all last indefinitely. What will ultimately kill a movement is parts availability, so I recommend the most boring, ubiquitous "workhorse" you can find... most likely the 2824.

Lots of parts, lots of donor watches, every watchmaker has worked on thousands of them, all adds up to a very long service life. Most likely well beyond the lifespan of your kids.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Rolex 3135 which has been in use since 1988 till quite recently (replaced by 3235 in 2016) and they have been making half a million a year since mid 80's or so up to like 800k recently. So, there are millions of Rolex using this movement out there and since they are considered "quite valuable", they generally have not been tossed out when it is inherited.

Reactions: vmgotit

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Most can last a really long time. But like adk225 said, nothing lasts forever. Not even the universe.

Reactions: vmgotit

·
Registered
403 Posts
few threads on here about Rolex refusing to service early models (1950's and earlier) as they no longer carry the parts and will not fabricate them - so i wouldn't count on Rolex helping your kids / grandkids out when it comes time to service the "old mans" heirloom

in that same thread i think it also mentions Patek Philip will service any watch they have ever produced, presumably only for as long as the company exists.

what makes pocket watches easy to keep running? I've never owned one, is it easily fabricated replacement parts or are the original parts still available?

re: other brands / automatics - don't forget this is already old tech and eventually these watch manufacturers will eventually move onto more profitable ways to make income as taste and style change, i doubt many manufacturers of automatics will be doing that trade in a 100 years.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
what makes pocket watches easy to keep running? I've never owned one, is it easily fabricated replacement parts or are the original parts still available?
Tend to be simple mechanism (not even shock protection) and parts tend to be quite large so even if parts need to be custom made, they can probably be made quite cheaply? (That would be my guess)

Reactions: BHP940 and aks12r

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Most can last a really long time. But like adk225 said, nothing lasts forever. Not even the universe.
In sixty or seventy quadrillion years when the universe finally dies, will it really matter?

Reactions: LosAngelesTimer

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,341 Posts
What caliber that can last forever ?
If you really mean remaining reasonably accurate for your lifetime and a bit longer, then any movement from a reputable manufacturer can do that as long as you are willing to pay for regular service.
Obviously nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You just rained on my investment parade 😩
Why should I spend good money on a watch that won't last at least 10 quadrillion years? Even if our Sun does explode in 10 billion years, taking the Earth with it, I expect my watches to last damn it!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Forever is a long time.

Maybe choose a perpetual calendar so you don't have to be constantly resetting the date... it could get tedious after a few hundred centuries
If you recall, because of the way leap years work, in the year 2100 many perpetual watches will need to go to a watchmaker for adjustment. Talk about inconvenience! Geez!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
If you recall, because of the way leap years work, in the year 2100 many perpetual watches will need to go to a watchmaker for adjustment. Talk about inconvenience! Geez!
Just book it as part of the regular scheduled service... unless you're off planet... which would be a drag considering how bad even many current wait times are.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts