WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking about this when reading the thread about a guy asking for recommendations for his 13-year-old.

I’ve gone from “GADA” thinking to a range of affordable watches in different categories. I’m sure at some point I’ll go back to a two- or three-watch collection.

But there are lots of threads with great ideas about starting or rounding out an affordable collection. Some folks, myself included, suggest hitting points in each category, such as dress, field, pilot, diver, etc. Those new to watches might appreciate solar-powered quartz or affordable mechanical options, if they are trying out different watches to get a feel for what they’d like.

I thought I’d share a few quick photos showing some of mine I enjoy that hit some key categories.

If I wanted to have a five-watch collection at $600 or less total, this wouldn’t be a bad way to go.

Please forgive the lume. They were under a lamp before the photo.

Diver
Seiko SNE435. 43.5mm x 50mm solar diver, “PADI” special edition with plongeur minute hand and OEM bracelet. I got it for $220. Good lume, nice blue, timing bezel, etc. It definitely hits some diver points.

Alternative would be this Citizen, either in blue or black. I got these for a little over $100 each. They come on straps, and are a great value.

Field
Citizen BM8180-03E. 37mm x 43mm. Solar-powered quartz, day/date, 100m water resistance. Versatile with strap changes.

Alternative would be a Timex Mk1 Camper. Steel, fixed strap bars, no date, 36mm x 43mm. Great little watch.

Sport
Casio G-Shock GW-M5610. Square, solar-atomic, great ‘80s vibe. Tough, reliable, worry-free. I got this for like $90.

Alternative would be a GW-6900, or a ProTrek like this PRW-3000.

Daily driver / mechanical in the mix
Seiko SNK793. 37mm x 43mm. 7S26 movement, on a bracelet. Punches above its weight, looks good, great size for smaller wrists. Mine is accurate too, at just over 2 spd.

Dress
Citizen Corso, 40mm two-hander. Solar quartz, thin, on a Christopher Ward deployant leather or OEM “alligator” stamped leather. “Dress” is a little loose here, but the dial is nice and it’ll do.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to have another thread for folks to suggest budget-friendly watches in different categories for folks to start or round out a collection.

What would you suggest to a new watch aficionado? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
For £600

I've cheated and used pounds. You could easily get both these lightly used for that. Even get the Seiko new and Squale used.
I'd rather just have two watches I really like. I try not to pay too much attention to watch catagories. They're either smart looking, or tool functional. But I'll go away and start again if I've not answered the question properly... 😉

Tool/diver.
1545 20 Atmos (though a used CW C60 Trident is equally as good, and hasn't Mercedes hands).
IMG_20210519_124137.jpg

Dressy
Seiko Presage SRPB43J1. Though an original Cocktail Time SARB065 used would be a better deal (better movement, better looks, better build quality).
IMG_20210519_124151.jpg

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Using gray market pricing:

Diver

Casio MDV106 $48

Field

Timex MK1 Steel $25

Sport

Casio G-Shock DW5600 $42

Daily

Citizen Promaster Tough $321

Dress

Orient Bambino V1 $102

Total $538, enough left to get a strap for the Bambino, a mesh bracelet for the MDV106 and maybe a nato for the MK1.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
A collection? For $600? A collection of straps you mean?

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
I'd end up with something very much like this:

Vintage Gruen Precision, $65
Seiko 5 SNKL41 on Uncle Seiko bracelet, $200
"Beltany G10" AliX field watch, $180
Vostok Amphibia 420-based custom, $120

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@mconlonx, can you share any more on the bracelet on the SNK? I can’t find it on the Uncle Seiko website. I’ve been interested in an 18mm quality bracelet whose endlinks would fit the SNK cases.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
@mconlonx, can you share any more on the bracelet on the SNK? I can’t find it on the Uncle Seiko website. I’ve been interested in an 18mm quality bracelet whose endlinks would fit the SNK cases.
It's the Bellmatic bracelet, I got the 4006-700x version, on advice from someone else who did the same thing. The endlink as it arrived is a good fit, not perfect, but very good enough that I'm not futzing with it - hollow endlink, so you could bend it a tad, if necessary. Also note that the clasp is stamped, snap closure with a safely tab, but no pushbutton lock mechanism. I actually didn't really mind the stock folded link bracelet, but this one is definitely a step up.

·
Premium Member
14,750 Posts
Using my current watches, I got these for right at $600 (one was part of a trade, valuing best I can from trade)

INOX, sand dial on bracelet $110

Setup 7002, $80 on eBay a couple years ago

G-Shock, I think I got it for right around $115

SARB035, ~$300 in it

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient and now Addiesdive
594 Posts
Okay if I was doing a watch kit at 600 bux..

1st choice would be Orient Kamasu.
I'd go Red colorway...(I own a blue) can be had around $240.00

Field i'd probably go Timex Explorer Scout...Either this or dark dial with OD Nato
43 bux

Dress I'd go Orient Bambino --Yeah I like Orient. 150ish. I've seen it for mroe and less so shooting the middle.

The three of those would suit almost anything I'd think and do it well and fun.

Leave's me about 310..I could do 2 low end fun watches, Aliexpress stuff..
But i'd probably get redundant on divers and grab something like this for the balance of my budget.

Long Island Watch Samaurai Wave. 319. So I'm a little over, but shopping the Kamasu and Bambino right on amazon or grey market would keep me in the 600 dollar figuer.

Reactions: Sir-Guy

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient and now Addiesdive
594 Posts
Actually if you take out my 2 inherited/gifted watches i'm around there.
Orient Kamasu at 240 (blue
Seiko Quarts Tachymeter - 140
Orient Mako 2 - $135
Addiesdive Captain Willard - $86.00

$601.00
Not bad, and i'm pleased with the collection.
I don't do Suits..;or a need for a real dress up. If I did I'd wear my 2 tone Seiko quartz grad gift from 92.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts