WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also posted in German, but kind of a rare watch so I thought I'd throw a big net.

I love the PML and PanoReserve models but I'm seeing a lot of different colors. I want one of the ostensibly white models, but in some photos I'm looking at, it's very creamish. It's definitely not as white as the date wheels inside. I know technically German dials are almost never white, they're actually silver (in the elemental sense) under close examination, like a Nomos, but that said, any owners care to illuminate me?

Click this bar to view the original image of 1024x768px.

Here's what I'm used to seeing--the very whiteish look. This is also the look on GO's page.

A lot of other photos look like that though. I've checked and it's the exact same model number.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do it!!!!!!!!!!

We need a Grand Seiko v Omega Aqua Terra v Glashutte Original Review
Can you imagine the heads that would explode if I did though? I give it 20 minutes until someone talks about how they're not in the same "tier" and then someone else starts an anti-German, anti-Japanese or anti-Swiss debate.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Can you imagine the heads that would explode if I did though? I give it 20 minutes until someone talks about how they're not in the same "tier" and then someone else starts an anti-German, anti-Japanese or anti-Swiss debate.
Yes...:think:...you may be right and - IMHO - it (probably) would take less than 20 minutes...:)

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
I have one of the first delivered in the US and its dial is what I'd consider champagne color. Most recent pictures posted look more silver-white. Tourbillon at NorthPark has it and would be best place for you to confirm it first hand.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have one of the first delivered in the US and its dial is what I'd consider champagne color. Most recent pictures posted look more silver-white. Tourbillon at NorthPark has it and would be best place for you to confirm it first hand.
Hmmm I might stop in and check it out after work today...I live in Plano now though and I dare not get on the road in Dallas between 8 AM and 9 PM unless it's absolutely crucial. It'd probably be faster to fly to Germany and see it in person.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The actual color is somewhere between your 2 pictures, probably closer to the first one. It varies depending on the lighting of course. It is definitely NOT stark white like it appears in the stock images. I think these two images best represent the true color:

glashutte_image.3061888.jpg

glashutte_image.2741138.jpg

Edit: And now I realize that the second one is the same as your OP. Oh well.

Reactions: njegos

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
Hmmm I might stop in and check it out after work today...I live in Plano now though and I dare not get on the road in Dallas between 8 AM and 9 PM unless it's absolutely crucial. It'd probably be faster to fly to Germany and see it in person.
Bachendorf's is an AD. I don't think they have GO at The Shops at Legacy. They may have the model at Galleria.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Thanks guys! Now to see whether I can part with that sort of money.
Stop being so conservative. This is the kind of purchase you make before you become a responsible parent with the concerns of 529's and such; this is your moment mate!
Then write one of those genius reviews you are so well known for penning:)

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stop being so conservative. This is the kind of purchase you make before you become a responsible parent with the concerns of 529's and such; this is your moment mate!
Then write one of those genius reviews you are so well known for penning:)
Ok, I've solved the mystery of the colors at least. The PML is silver, the classic German sort of whitish silver, and the PR is more of a very subtle creamy silver.

You can see how dynamic the PR's dial is between just these two different angles. More directly into the lighting, the PR is clearly silver. Facing me and not perpendicular to the light, it's clearly cream.

I have to say that, in person, the PML is prettier both front and back. It's one of the most attractive implementations of a moon phase I've ever seen, and GO, while being very traditionally German (which some will love) doesn't remove enough of the top plate for my tastes to see the gears underneath, making the beautiful pseudo-micro rotor the one to get, at least visually.

Yet I prefer power reserves to moon phases, and at least for my next watch, hand wounds to automatics....almost every watch I've had my eye on in the last few months has been hand wound, the DK13, the Armin Manual, the Nomos Tangente. Tough decision.

I wasn't at all disappointed with the execution on either--world class, no doubt. But I will say, and this might anger some, that I think Nomos' execution is right up there as well, sans hand-engraving of course. Naturally, it's not as complex, in dial or movement, but then, it's not attempting to be. It's intentionally more simple, and it achieves that with basically the same quality, at least at first blush.

Another matter complicating this is that I think I prefer the older version of the PML (haven't seen it in person though) and the newer version of the PR, although I do miss the non-lumed hands, I can get over that easily.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ok, I've solved the mystery of the colors at least. The PML is silver, the classic German sort of whitish silver, and the PR is more of a very subtle creamy silver.
Wow, I didn't realize they were two different colors. I never saw them both at the same time when I was shopping, I just assumed they were the same. Odd. Sorry for the misleading information.

·
Premium Member
8,631 Posts
You can see how dynamic the PR's dial is between just these two different angles. More directly into the lighting, the PR is clearly silver. Facing me and not perpendicular to the light, it's clearly cream.
If you saw these in person, you can ignore this, but I'm curious.

Do you know if both of those photos were taken in the same light source? If not, you might not be seeing an accurate representation of the colors, and might be seeing the effect of the color of the lights. Also, even if in the same lights, if the cameras white balance wasn't fixed, the camera could possibly have been adjusting itself to compensate for the lighting and could cause that amount of color shift just in its own settings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts