WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm hoping to exclude some stuff that harken back to a movement like the bauhaus styled watches etc..

·
Registered
7,751 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,620 Posts
Question: What signifies a modern watch?

Answer: A battery or solar cell powered quartz movement.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
image008.jpg

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
...not vintage.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Rado et. al.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the atomic synching makes sense! i forget what diver i always see in magazines but it was a new brand..

what about the ones that still nod to the tradition of a mechanical watch?

linde werdelin(sp)? fp journe? a lange 1 or the one with 31 day PR?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,620 Posts
the atomic synching makes sense! i forget what diver i always see in magazines but it was a new brand..

what about the ones that still nod to the tradition of a mechanical watch?

linde werdelin(sp)? fp journe? a lange 1 or the one with 31 day PR?
It's difficult to describe a watch as being modern if it uses technology that forces it to deliver below average performance. Accuracy of 150 seconds per month (5 seconds per day) and a power reserve of around 40 hours is way behind that provided by modern watches.

·
Registered
198 Posts
"Modern" implies, to me, what is a current fashion or trend, unfortunately. A "modern" watch means the designer was trying to make the display of time appear in a new way using leading edge technology. That usually results in some difficult to read, ornate, even obscure method which has to be interpreted much more slowly than the simple use of hands on the dial.

Like, LED's lighting a grid pattern, or having sections of numbers displayed, but you aren't given much indication of which is the actual one for that moment. I consider the '70's no pip luminous Dive dial the epitome of time telling, one glance and you get it. "Modern" watches seem to inhabit the opposite spectrum - take time to figure it out, because we're going to distract you with visual bling and unnecessary emphasis of all the wrong elements. Do I really need to be able to see the balance wheel moving from the dial side?

"Modern" implies a celebration of the watch as a art medium for the designer, not as a simple tool to tell time.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Modern....oversized and overpriced.

Reactions: lvt and Otto Phan

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Anything since 1950 - shock resistance, self-winding, electronic, quartz....mostly round cases and center seconds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts