• BP Fifty Fathoms

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice so far on my watch selection. I've looked around and refined my idea of what I'd like.

What they have in common:
-Classic and simple design with a clean face
-Date and time (not looking for complications)
-Versatile (can be dressed up or be worn down)
-In my price range (<15k)
-Comfortable bracelets
-Sporty look and right for my age
-Professional, not too flashy

The only one I haven't tried on yet is the AP Royal Oaks. I did not find the BP's size to be a problem, although it is certainly a large watch. The quality of Rolex's watchmanship is also not an issue for me.

I am not interested in using the watch for any particular purpose (ie diving), and is not something that I need as a sports watch. Just a daily use watch.

Basically something that's comfortable, versatile, and professional, and won't go out of style in 10 years.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Rolex GMT Master II
3.jpg

AP Royal Oak
pic2.jpg

BP Fifty Fathoms
1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I voted for the RO... Functionally GMT watches are useful to me because I travel. HOwever, in terms of a watch i would want to look at over and over again.. THe AP-RO is a winner. I am not a big fan of ROlex watches and while i like some of BP watches-- this particular one does not do anything for me.. My 2c

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I love the BP FF! It can be dressed up or down and it can be worn comfortably in the water and out! I also love that it glows like a torch!

Sent from Kevin's Tapatalk!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I refer APRO 15400 ! Elegant + simplicity.
Well the royal oak that you are showing on the picture posted above is the 15300. The 15400 that you are referring is similar but there are some differences, that we have cover before in the forum. Personally I prefer the 15300, but is out of production and very, very hard to find from an AD. I think the 15400 will do, Good luck:-!

If interested here is the link of how I came to the conlusion to buy my 15300
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/your-thoughts-sonata-cathedral-dual-time-un-827903-3.html
This was a crazy thread, that started with my interest in the sonata cathedral dual time UN, then mentions the sale of a Rolex of mine and ends up buying my AP:roll: go figure. Anyhow the link goes to page 3, and that's where the thread turns to the purchase of the AP.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Three great watches. I can't be of much help here as I'd have an equally tough time deciding. I have the GMTc and would recommend it as a fantastic watch. I really like the Blancpain, and could handle the size, but more as a casual wearer (it doesn't fit nicely under all my cuffs). The styling of the AP RO is not for me, but the quality is amazing - if you like the style then I'd recommend you go with this.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That's a toughie. Nothing "wrong" with any of them unless you don't like the particular styling. Really, it has to be your personal preference. Now if none of them really tug at your heart maybe you should wait until something does.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That's a toughie. Nothing "wrong" with any of them unless you don't like the particular styling. Really, it has to be your personal preference. Now if none of them really tug at your heart maybe you should wait until something does.
I am very intrigued by the APRO 15300, but unfortunately ADs (at least in the US) do not have any left in stock. I actually might appreciate the 41mm dial of the APRO 15400 better, so I will just have to try it on once I make it to the AD.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You can't go wrong with the AP Royal Oak. It's a beauty. The GMT is also a great all around watch.

Ideally, you need to get both. ;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updated the picture options. 15400 is now shown since the 15300 is no longer available.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't really like the Fifty Fathom, so I won't comment on it.

But otherwise, it's not really much of a comparison. The AP RO costs twice as much as the Rolex....

Though personally, between the two I would get the Rolex (i'm assuming you're comfortable with the Rolex baggage). The AP RO never seemed to speak to me from a purely aesthetic perspective.

As a side note, you should realize 2 things: this forum is stupidly in love with AP and JLC. Not to say it's not deserved but its perhaps more love than reason. So take any adoration for AP with a slight grain of rationism.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't really like the Fifty Fathom, so I won't comment on it.

But otherwise, it's not really much of a comparison. The AP RO costs twice as much as the Rolex....

Though personally, between the two I would get the Rolex (i'm assuming you're comfortable with the Rolex baggage). The AP RO never seemed to speak to me from a purely aesthetic perspective.

As a side note, you should realize 2 things: this forum is stupidly in love with AP and JLC. Not to say it's not deserved but its perhaps more love than reason. So take any adoration for AP with a slight grain of rationism.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Picking a watch is always a combination of love and reason but if you are gonna error, error on the side of love.;-) You will be much happier :)
I don't think buying a high-end watch it's the best example of a rational decision anyway. But is true whenever you reach your decision it should be your purchase and not the forum purchase. But the best part is that you can use the forum to get information or point of views that you never thought about and discard the ones that are no help.:-!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts