WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious what complications make the watch less valuable to you and why. For instance, you might actively avoid chronographs because you think they make the dial too busy.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I was curious what complications make the watch less valuable to you and why. For instance, you might actively avoid chronographs because you think they make the dial too busy.
^This was my first thought.

I also don't like moon phase watches or open hearts. I don't like PR indicators.

Thinking about it, anything beyond a day and date turns me off.

One complication I do like is a center seconds hand. (at least I've heard that was a complication beyond a small seconds)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Moon phase... clutters the dial but would never serve any purpose to me.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
Yeah, chronographs for sure . . . doesn't just decrease, guarantees I will not ever have one.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Tough question to answer in definitive terms. I mean, I’m not a huge fan of chronographs because I never use the function and I find them difficult to read....but there are chronos I’d buy in a heartbeat and would love to own. I don’t like “Big Date” complications, but I’ve seen some that were beautifully executed. Power reserves? It usually boils down to placement and dial integration.

I guess my point is that I don’t think there’s a single complication I’d rule out across the board. I think it just depends on how it’s integrated....and the overall appeal of the watch in general.

Hope that makes sense? Lol, I’m honestly not trying to be difficult here. Now....had the question been “What specific design elements immediately kill a watch for you?”....I suspect I’d need very little time to provide a comprehensive list.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would never use chronograph functions, unless I was a coach, timing laps. In that case a dedicated stopwatch would be better suited for the task.

I'll accept a date, power reserve (only if it's very well integrated, like Tudor North Flag), and 24 hour hand on a GMT.

Anything more, and I would lose interest

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Tough question to answer in definitive terms. I mean, I’m not a huge fan of chronographs because I never use the function and I find them difficult to read....but there are chronos I’d buy in a heartbeat and would love to own.
This ^ The same goes for second hand subdials and 4.30 date windows.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
When I saw the thread title I clicked to say chronograph, but on reading the posts it's open heart for sure. I see an open heart, I just skip to the next watch. The watch with the open heart becomes invisible to me. A chronograph, I'll at least look at to see if I like the execution even if I know I'd never buy it.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I was curious what complications make the watch less valuable to you and why.
- Pointer dates, I dislike the extra track of numbers around the dial and also the pointer end, usually.
- Big dates, to me they are not a benefit and they often don't really fit the dials in my opinion.
- Minute repeaters, they make the watch too expensive.. ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Agree with 4:30 displays of the date complication, but one of the complications that turns me right off is dead beat seconds, probably because I so closely associate it with cheap quartz watches. Were I to own an analog quartz, I'd want one without a seconds hand.

Regards,
Alysandir

Reactions: ffritz

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
nothing really depends on the watch and how it's done. Most complications can be done well.

I guess the only one I would be turned off by (even if I could afford it) is mechanical perpetual calendars, just because I don't want to be responsible for keeping that thing running "perpetually" or possibility of damaging the movement or overshooting the date if it has to be reset.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I would say these are my tiers

Almost certainly a deal breaker:
Chronograph with 3 sundials
Open heart/skeleton (the first mechanical I bought has this and I will never sell it, but I don’t see me buying any other)
Day of week or any calendar feature other than date.
Compass
Date anywhere other than 6 of 3 o’clock unless it is REALLY well integrated.
Big date
Small GMT hand (one that is shorter than the hour hand and points to an internal 24 hour scale)
Subdial date
World time

Depends on the execution:
3 o’clock date
Chronograph with 2 sundials
Pointer Date
Power reserve

Like the idea of but will likely never buy:
Moon phase
Tourbillon

Complications I really like:
6 o’clock date
Small seconds
GMT that reaches the edge of the dial

Basically I have simple tastes and mostly like a simple 3 hander, no date preferred, and if it is meant to be a dressier piece then a sub-seconds Dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
A date if it’s not accompanied with a week day.
And a small date dial with only ordinal date values (1,3,5..31) because cardinal wouldn’t fit.
Small makeshift dials that serve for two tiny hands e.g. date and chrono totalisator.
Same or close length of the minutes and hours hands so they become indistinguishable.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts