WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

321 - 340 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
So I have not been idle, sneaked a couple in under the radar and ppl will rejoice I have acquired a very nice Samsung digital camera which has 10.2 mp and actually isn't a bad camera at all producing some very clean snaps and came with everything except the data cable, a nice big MMC card, rechargable batteries, fits my tripod beautifully and has a lovely self focusing doubry on that gently whirrs in and out without losing itself like the Huawei does.

Picked up two bits of curisoity...

First a Roamer in a very funky colour scheme... a £9 "Bombay bad boy" I just had to have for that lurid scheme, it is just soooooooo over the top which I nicknamed the "crast test dummy" watch as they do a yellow and burgundy one too :p

The second little gem of fun is this bundle of old ladies movements, some other general stuff and this unusual Elysian mechanical chrono which looks interesting, I am assuming it is a mechanical, may be a quartz but I could not find anything on this piece online but I thought that is quite a nice watch head going on there, have high hopes :)

For my 710 home build I am edging closer and closer to the all lume dial scuba dude, with Seiko turtle hands, trident or jagged lightning second hand and a pepsi bezel, I think the Zakas plain black and little star would not look right in a 710, will be an auto so now to work out do I go date or dateless as the dial chap has both options on the lume dial, then it will be the wait, the building of courage to give it a go.

Caught a tip last nite to do with second hands, bloke converted his red plinth of misery pusher with a blob of rodico into a custom second hand applier, he stuffed the rodico into the plastic pusher bit and uses it to pick up the second hand then apply it into position, I am wow what a bloody good idea so will be doing that one myself :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The gods of eBay strike again, so on looking for a data cable for my new camera, a chap in Germany for 1 Euro was selling box, papers, CD's, AV, power AND data cable and 8 euro's posting... for my exact model which has a strange micro usb port to which I had nothing save one which fits but doesn't work so obv not wired in correct for my camera.

Thank you gods of eBay hehe

Forgot to mention the Roamer (should that be Reamer) has the venerable ST-96 movement in from what I gather which is basically Switzerland's version of the Vostok simplicity movements and apparently a doddle to service etc.

Sadly I haven't taken off the Bliger since putting it on its Ingersoll bracelet, have ordered two more for down the road, one a gold, one a polished steel cos you never know hehe I am hoping my 119 Amphibia arrives this week and my Slava tank quartz with the faceted glass, I put my homebrew Amphibia back on the naval camo NATO but going to dig out my 060 cased KVPO for a bit of a wear this week.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Ordered this last week and it arrived today. Since the first Amphibia I ordered (a used KGB 420 case) was a dud and can't be worn until I get the movement repaired (which I probably won't do) I will consider this my first Amphibia! Got this for $60 new from a USA seller. I like this 120 case more than I thought I would, I really wanted a 420 or 710 but didn't want to pass on the watch. Also, this silicone strap is softer than I was expecting which is another nice surprise. Next I need a 710 Amphibia...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I haven't got a roundy or a rounded octa (dunno what the numbers are for those) I am a massive fan of the 060's and the 090's and really do want a 710 for my next Amphibia. I very nearly bit on the one that's like the 710 but more square and squat but I dithered and it sold /sad face

Has anyone got any pictures of the actual ministry issued Amphibia's? I would love to see the 090 dial/hands and the 710 dial hands on issued Vostok's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I picked up some Slava and Luch quartz movements to tinker with in the last few days, just to get my feet wet in the repair/service side of things. Stripped the CCCP dialed Slava down and cleaned it up, and yes, the gasket was melted into a gooey mess. Waiting to get my grease and oils before reassembly.
A big thank you to Schnurrp and Ratfacedgit for their pics and videos that cover these various movements.

Here’s the Soviet after polishing the crystal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I picked up some Slava and Luch quartz movements to tinker with in the last few days, just to get my feet wet in the repair/service side of things. Stripped the CCCP dialed Slava down and cleaned it up, and yes, the gasket was melted into a gooey mess. Waiting to get my grease and oils before reassembly.
A big thank you to Schnurrp and Ratfacedgit for their pics and videos that cover these various movements.

Here’s the Soviet after polishing the crystal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First I knew of the black goo in my big red star Slava was it oozing out the lug channel onto my wrist and it had turned into something very nasty and I had only just replaced the battery what the week before and the O ring was fine, now the thing doesn't work and I suspect the little coil lead was somehow caught up in the muck and got swept away by a q tip.

I didn't know the history of the previous battery so taking no chances I changed it and it still went pear shaped on me and losing one of my favourite pieces. Luckily I have been amassing Slava and Poljot quartz's these last few months so a new coil won't be an issue.

Wearing right now the daddy of the red star/USN, my recent arrival of the Slava tank 3050 quartz, absolutely brutal Soviet beastie on the huge solid lumps of steel bracelet... I am a great fan of Slava and Soviet quartz's. If I had for some reason to be offered the choice of keeping only two of my collection it would be Slava tank automatic and this tank quartz...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Of all the postal services will say Ukraine has been the worst taking the longest to arrive, Russia and Belarus seem a couple weeks quicker, the lesser former Soviet satellites like Moldova seemed a bit quicker, Poland not too bad or Czech etc but I had to really shake the tree with writing to the Ukrainian postmaster asking what the hell was going on sort of thing.

It transpired there was a big issue that carriers were not being allowed from the Ukraine to the UK and vice versa which went on for three weeks I think which of course put the Ukraine service into meltdown, it wasn't their end but the UK's end so of course I raised bally hell with my MP and the postal and customs ministers, needless to say all three were the types with their noses firmly ensconced up the tukus of the PM and fairly dismissive responses which is why I never, ever will vote for the vile Tory grr.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,197 Posts
"Craba" lol, got the 'a'-s right at least
Craba is better than Slava because it always costs less for the same watch.

Same with Novet vs Poljot, Patema vs Raketa, Yanka vs Chaika and Zapr vs Zarja.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I did.

Not sure it was a wise choice. :rolleyes:
Wew, a few months ago I would've gladly offered to buy it off if you didn't like it, but I've spent way too much money on watches in the meantime... maybe if you could hold onto it for, say, 5-6 months... ;)

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Wew, a few months ago I would've gladly offered to buy it off if you didn't like it, but I've spent way too much money on watches in the meantime... maybe if you could hold onto it for, say, 5-6 months... ;)
I´ve been thinking about this watch for about ten years, at the beginning everybody was horrified by the price, some people said you were mad at spending that money for a Vostok. Then I wondered if it was too big for my wrist (6.5"), as a matter of fact I find the 090 too big for me. On the other side I have very large divers like the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf and the Seiko 1978 Tuna, in the end it was an inpulse buy and I assume if I can´t wear it I might sell it here after all.

Still undecided...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Craba is better than Slava because it always costs less for the same watch.

Same with Novet vs Poljot, Patema vs Raketa, Yanka vs Chaika and Zapr vs Zarja.
On the other side, expect to pay more for Cornavin and whatever that American brand name is for them gawjus burgundy dialled Poljot fish eyes.

One of my sellers actually sells "Cornavin" conversion kits in the form of a dial, turning your cheapo Slava into dollaroo earning Cornavin's hehe Actually he also sells a range of Sekonda Mockba 80 dials which I am unsure if they are the real deal or some sort of mickey mouse counterfeiting from back then, the red tigers eye ones look super nice.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I´ve been thinking about this watch for about ten years, at the beginning everybody was horrified by the price, some people said you were mad at spending that money for a Vostok. Then I wondered if it was too big for my wrist (6.5"), as a matter of fact I find the 090 too big for me. On the other side I have very large divers like the Zodiac Super Sea Wolf and the Seiko 1978 Tuna, in the end it was an inpulse buy and I assume if I can´t wear it I might sell it here after all.

Still undecided...:rolleyes:
Wow 10 years is a long time to think about a watch, I usually impulse-buy after about a week or so :) Only Tudors, Rolexes, Omegas and such have I thought about longer - and still haven't bought one of those... Anyway, a 1967 would be pretty easy to sell, I'd imagine - even though it's "just" a Vostok ;)

321 - 340 of 356 Posts