WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

341 - 356 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Welcome to the wacky world of Russian and Soviet watches, you will not be disappointed hehe oh and a sense of humour helps... these watches can be extremely quirky, one day work beautifully and next having a day off at you :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Today i bough a small Raketa Marine 24h. Very funny watch for low price. Perfect to start a russian collection :)

View attachment 15372050
Very nice watch, congrats - I'm not sure if I can welcome you here, as I'm also pretty new here myself. I've always liked the 24h Raketas - I'm a fan of Raketa in general - and I've been also planning to get one eventually, just have to decide which variant whit what kind of bezel to get, as buying ALL OF THEM is not exactly an option.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hehe wait til you get into some tanks and TV's... small is def not an option going there, I was caught out last week with a Slava whose case is massive and lug to lug covers my quite sturdy wrist.

The chrono's are big too and some of the later modernist Slava's etc are pretty large, Raketa perpetual calendar isn't a lightweight either.

I was saying to me mate today whilst out about my quartz tank and we agreed not many watches you can use as a knuckleduster.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hehe I like that name, its all a bit of an upper and a downer at Stonehenge up the road what with tunnels and bypass roads and still trying to stop the druids from using it solsticewise and all that stuff about the stones were mysteriously transported from darkest Wales and it turns out they came from a quarry 15 miles away...

I've had a bit of a result today, firstly my Sekonda automatic arrived and apart from it being on its original paper thin leather strap is a beautiful piece...

Only time testing it at mo, haven't set the date up as yet but the strap is going, will keep it as it is the original but is so old and tired it is no better than for show and I want to wear this :)

Also the 5 quartz pieces turned up, the Luch hybrid mechanical there seems to be bits of movement loose inside the cavity area so that will be for a project, the 3056A square is missing its coil but what about this, the 3050 square...? Running beautifully with a fresh battery, jewel is needing a touch of the slippery stuff but its held good time for 3 hours not losing a second and I am putting it on that boilerplate bracelet that turned up yesterday :)

The crystal is very dirty and marked on the exterior so will do a vid on me fixing the bracelet and polishing case and crystal, one of the Chaika pocket watches has a simple 2035 Miyota in, it does actually work and is all complete but the battery connection is a bit dickywampus so stops and starts but I will just dive into my box of 2035 and 2115's I have harvested from crapo pieces and have my first pocket watch. The other is a Luch branded quartz not unlike the Hong Kong Remex quartz, that is missing bits but nothing gets thrown away here...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I paid £13 delivered for the Sekonda and £12 delivered for the 5 quartz pieces, I also fixed last nite my couple quid Krug-Bauman Tidemaster with the exceptionally hard to source Miyota T250, all it was missing was a bracelet pin, fresh Renata battery in there and looking sweet, the other will now be a spares donor.

In the recent £2 bundle of "junk" bits I discovered a very complete guts of an old Waltham full size pocket watch missing its hands and the balance wheel is smashed up a bit but the escapement and mainspring working fine, its been a bloody good week for watches :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picked up this well used and abused Komandirskie on Ebay and after a long wait from Ukraine it finally arrived today, it's been keeping good time but the whole movement was rattling around inside the case! Close inspection inside found that the two screws that secure the movement to the spacer weren't screwed in properly, all is good now!
IMG_20200731_162156.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Grabbed a black dial Latin script Poljot to compliment my Cyrillic dialed one. Bought it a few days ago and it arrived last night. Chrono hands weren’t aligning and the seller said the chronograph wasn’t operational. After finally getting the lock ring to free the case back (felt welded shut) it was obvious the fly back lever was knocked out of its seat. A tiny nudge later and the hands fell right into their reset positions and it operates beautifully.
Here’s the eBay pic:
Here it is after cleaning the bracelet, dial, hands, indices, chrono ring, and polishing the crystal. Only about an hours time invested and it came out looking pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Grabbed a black dial Latin script Poljot to compliment my Cyrillic dialed one. Bought it a few days ago and it arrived last night. Chrono hands weren’t aligning and the seller said the chronograph wasn’t operational. After finally getting the lock ring to free the case back (felt welded shut) it was obvious the fly back lever was knocked out of its seat. A tiny nudge later and the hands fell right into their reset positions and it operates beautifully.
Here’s the eBay pic:
Here it is after cleaning the bracelet, dial, hands, indices, chrono ring, and polishing the crystal. Only about an hours time invested and it came out looking pretty good.

What do you use to clean the dial and hands with? I'm planning something similar, but never done it before.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What do you use to clean the dial and hands with? I'm planning something similar, but never done it before.
As far as the dial goes I used Rodico. For the hands and indices I used an approximately 2mm x 3mm piece of leather that I first rubbed on a silver polishing cloth then VERY carefully wiped the hands then the indices. I’m almost certain the experienced guys out there will tell you to remove the hands first which makes it less likely you’ll bend them while cleaning them. I didn’t because I’ve heard the large chrono hand can be a pain to deal with.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Don't make the noobish mistake I did on my Amphibia 090 dial where I used isopropyl alcohol to clean the quite thick sludgy patina of grease that had built up over decades... it cleaned it look like a champ... cleaned off all the lume and paint markings as well.

For my other 090 in the project box I have a very tatty blue gloss dial and I am thinking of substituting it with a silver sunburst Wostok dial which is grubby but in very good condition and seem to find that most ppl use is warm water and very gentle lathing action with something non abrasive.

Hands, if they are corroded or very dirty it is expedient to pull them off, give them a thorough stripdown to remove corrosion then repaint, relume as required, not sure how to replicate that definitive mint green for the lume on those Poljots, maybe mix lume powder to a matching enamel paint and am sure someone with more expertise than I will have a method for cleaning hands and reluming of. I polish my hands using a gentle action with a fibreglass pen but I imagine you could put hands onto a blob of rodico and polish with a felt mop on a dremel at a slow speed and gentle action.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't make the noobish mistake I did on my Amphibia 090 dial where I used isopropyl alcohol to clean the quite thick sludgy patina of grease that had built up over decades... it cleaned it look like a champ... cleaned off all the lume and paint markings as well.
The was my plan and my worry :LOL:
Seems complicated, the cleaning, but auppose that's how it is when working with tiny things... Fortunately I have some broken down watches to practice on

·
Registered
219 Posts
This -I suppose- 'franken' Komandirskie finally arrived today after a long journey - I'd guess the dial has been polished off it's colors and applied indices? That blue on the hands is probably not original? Anyway, other than that, what makes this one special is it's hacking movement which I hadn't seen on a Vostok... I might try to change the dial as I want to see the minutes actually, and the hands cause I'd Iike some lume on them, but we'll see.

edit: looks okay on this cheap Nato I found lying around:

341 - 356 of 356 Posts