WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

681 - 700 of 768 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Here's the keeping perfect time Soviet Ruhla from the good ol' days when even I was a twinkle in the milkmans eye...

View attachment 15473394
I know this is going to sound pedantic, but just a point of clarification, a Ruhla is not Soviet it is East German. There was a period when the Factory was under Soviet control (Soviet Action Assembly for Precision Machines – Avtowelo) but this was from July 1946 until 30th April 1952 during the Soviet Military Administration of Eastern Germany.

Dodgydruid 's newly acquired watch dates from the 1970s.

Sekondtime

Ostalgie-Ruhla Watches of the GDR

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
I know this is going to sound pedantic, but just a point of clarification, a Ruhla is not Soviet it is East German. There was a period when the Factory was under Soviet control (Soviet Action Assembly for Precision Machines – Avtowelo) but this was from July 1946 until 30th April 1952 during the Soviet Military Administration of Eastern Germany.
Dodgydruid 's newly acquired watch dates from the 1970s.
Ostalgie-Ruhla Watches of the GDR
I mentioned this before and was told that no one in the German forum knows anything about Ruhla so the Russian forum sort of adopted them.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Umm, the GDR was fully part of the Warsaw Pact and very much a part of the Soviet, to say the GDR wasn't Soviet is a bit like saying India was never British. E Germany was like Poland, Hungary, the Ukraine, semi autonomous within the CCCP and Warsaw Pact and you can bet a dollar safe that management at Ruhla was passed through the GDR politburo with more than a nod towards Moscow.

So whilst Ruhla didn't fall under the main Russian control of the factories, it is utterly inconceivable that Ruhla operated in anything other than under full Soviet control. The lines were a bit blurred in Berlin mainly because of the cross contamination between east and west saw some freedoms not seen anywhere else in the Soviet empire.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
With only my Sekonda curvy TV to arrive tomorrow I am all out buying wise, my daughter kindly bought me a Megalith tuna can homage off of Aliexpress today in the silver and hulk colours which was nice as I lack a hulk as yet and I am quite liking these Megalith branded stuff as it seems like this chinese company is giving a damn over quality.

I've got my Reliant up on jacks and got some work to do there before its MoT, been doing some advisory help to a fellow youtuber in the US and has kinda lit the fire under my mechanicking hands and it seems I have attracted the ire from someone in the "old guard" in here so will be spending my evenings finishing my projects up and putting the results up on my youtube channel with my Raketa bakelite quartz diver thingy looking like its up first for a permanent fix once I work out the actual arrangement of how the little insulators work.

I missed out on a TW Steels piece earlier, it sold for £22 argh so consoled myself with an Alba VX42 with a canteen crown, I mean Alba? Woulda preferred the TW but can't win 'em all. My first service attempts is going to be my Chaika Stadium and Sekonda gold tv as both I liked wearing and both have gone slow on me, the Sekonda was a NOS so just needs a bit of lube, the Stadium was a daily wearer til it too went slow and stoppy on me.

Back to me Raketa quartz and toodle pip... for nowski

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I mentioned this before and was told that no one in the German forum knows anything about Ruhla so the Russian forum sort of adopted them.
Yes, you are correct. The Russian forum is the best place although sometimes the German forum does indulge in the odd Ruhla now and again.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Umm, the GDR was fully part of the Warsaw Pact and very much a part of the Soviet, to say the GDR wasn't Soviet is a bit like saying India was never British. E Germany was like Poland, Hungary, the Ukraine, semi autonomous within the CCCP and Warsaw Pact and you can bet a dollar safe that management at Ruhla was passed through the GDR politburo with more than a nod towards Moscow.

So whilst Ruhla didn't fall under the main Russian control of the factories, it is utterly inconceivable that Ruhla operated in anything other than under full Soviet control. The lines were a bit blurred in Berlin mainly because of the cross contamination between east and west saw some freedoms not seen anywhere else in the Soviet empire.
That would be news to the comrades at Ruhla. Whilst it is true to say that the Warsaw pact nations were under the Soviet sphere of influence, they were all sovereign states (and not part of the USSR) and sometimes did not follow the political line set by Moscow. Indeed there were occasions when the SED Government in Berlin pressured Moscow! Only the various Soviet Republics and Autonomous Soviet Republics were under direct control from Moscow.

A good read if you have the time is Red Prometheus, Engineering and Dictatorship in East Germany 1945 - 1990.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Following your logic, let's say, are Estonia or Turkey very much a part of the USA or UK, as they are fully part of the NATO?

Countries of the Eastern Block were quite independent in many matters related to business, even produced many types of own weapon instead of buying it from USSR.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi all, I'm happy to have joined this forum and to have just purchased my first Russian watch. I'm really grateful for the information stickied in this forum, as it clearly explained the differences between the different Vostok Amphibia models and made my purchasing decisions a lot easier!

I've enjoyed assembling and modding ETA 6497/6498 and Seiko watches. I realized last night that I wanted to buy a true "beater" watch -- something that I'd like wearing, but that I'd trust to be waterproof and rugged enough to wear everywhere. My wife commented yesterday that I frequently don't wear a watch despite having a nice collection, and I realized that it was because I'm really worried about damaging my expensive watches. Even my most rugged watch, a Seiko SKX779 black monster, has a lot of sentimental value and I don't want to beat it up any more than I already have in the ten years I've owned it.

As I've never owned or worn one of the Vostok watches, I decided to buy one. The specific model I was most interested in wearing, a Vostok Amphibia SE with a fully lumed dial, was sold out. No worries there, as I realized I could build myself something equivalent or better by taking advantage of all the cool variations of case sizes and shapes that are available.

Here's what I have coming in the mail:
My plan is to swap out the dial and hands first. I think that the all-black hands will probably look best, but I'm super curious about the quality of the "heat blued" steel hands. I've been learning how to heat blue steel myself, and I'm dying to know what a $6 set of heat blued hands from Vostok are like. I'm a tiny bit suspicious of them; given the premium charged by other manufacturers for real heat blued steel, $6 is a huge bargain. For the all black hands, I'm very tempted to pull out the lume and see how they look as "skeleton" hands.

I haven't settled on whether I'll keep the stock chromed-brass bezel, or whether I'll like the SS bezel with a Seiko insert instead. I'm not looking at a super fancy sapphire or ceramic bezel insert, but want something that matches the overall aesthetic of the watch (with its industrial-finish steel and thick acrylic crystal).

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have bought the US-made upgraded stainless steel bezel until I become 100% convinced that the chrome-plated brass Vostok bezels aren't what I want. Since they're readily available used for just a few bucks each, it would have been smarter for me to have just tried a couple of those options first. Adding the SS bezel (and buying a Seiko bezel insert) will push this watch out of cool-but-cheap-enough-to-beat-up sweet spot I'm looking for. Also, if I had just purchased the watch, dial, heat-blued hands, and mesh bracelet, I would have come right in at a total cost of $100. As purchased last night, I spent $150. With one of the fancier Seiko bezel inserts, this climbs to $200 ... which is expensive enough to discourage me from wearing my watches.

Anyway, I'm now playing the waiting game. I know that the watch and parts I ordered from Meranom will get here quickly enough, but the fully-lumed dial is coming from Vostok-Watches 24 on a slow boat. I gather that this extended waiting period is one of the key parts of the Russian watch experience. ;-)

The base watch: Vostok Amphibia 090662:
Vostok_Amphibian_090662.jpg

The fully-lumed dial in normal light and glowing:
Vostok-1.jpg Vostok-2.jpg

The heat-blued hands and the black hands I might skeletonize:
Vostok_Amphibia_Blued_Hands.jpg Vostok-Hands.jpg

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I made an offer and the seller accepted and this beast is scheduled to be delivered to my house today ! I am excited about this one, it will be mounted on the wall in my office

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
I made an offer and the seller accepted and this beast is scheduled to be delivered to my house today ! I am excited about this one, it will be mounted on the wall in my office

View attachment 15479625
Nice! I'm actually supposed to receive my Ships clock today as well, I got the 24 hour version. Can't wait to hear the ticking while I work in my office.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Those submarine clocks are super cool. Is there a known good seller of them (similar to the wristwatch situation), or is this more of a crapshoot? A quick Google search shows a lot of price variation.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Arrived today from a Ukrainian seller, after about 5 weeks shipping time, a rectangular (almost square) Au 20 2209-based Luch.

The caseback (blurry photo, unfortunately) has the pentagonal Luch (or Minsk watch factory) symbol...

...as does the movement itself (this a seller's photo, haven't popped it open yet).

So I'm hoping I'm looking at a consistent pre-1975 Luch. I currently have it running on my desk while I go to a meeting online.

·
Registered
104 Posts

View attachment 15479625
It was this post that pushed me into doing something I said I would never do. Yes, purchase a ship clock!
Clock was listed at a reasonable price and I offered significantly less and it was accepted. U.S. seller of estate sale items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

681 - 700 of 768 Posts