WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1421 - 1440 of 1486 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Found some pretty good deals over the last week. These 3 arrived so far this week.

The Antarctic was a special find, perfect watch with papers but no box $52. The others were significantly cheaper, all in beautiful condition. The perpetual years run from 1992 to 2012 if memory serves me right. Movement is stamped SU.

Here’s another look and some info on the Antarctic:

The seller, who was here stateside, has a fascination with the Antarctic. He has been on 5 Soviet icebreakers as a passenger during his lifetime and it was during one of those voyages that he purchased this watch from the ship store. Now in his 80’s, he has decided it’s time to part with his possessions and that is how I became the lucky owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Kinda gave up on the Luch 2209 for now (found 2 good examples) and found this little guy for a surprisingly good price.

There is a few specks of dirt on the dial that i'll clean up later (that aren't well seen in this picture). Any particular substance that is recommended to clean it with? I was thinking of just a cotton swap dipped in a very small amount of alcohol to not remove the dial finish.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I tried isopropyl alcohol and watched in horror as it sterilised the paints and markings on a 090 Amphibia so tried a mild soap and found it left a kinda residue that gave silver dials a shadow, now I use rodico and gentle applications of water wicking away the moisture with the cotton buds which gradually and gently lifts the dirt out.

Rodico though is king at dial cleaning but you do have to be gentle not to drag it over paint markers as it will grip the paint so I use a rolling action rather than a smudging action, takes longer but does little damage.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I see, thanks everybody. So rodico and a slightly moist cotton swap for best results, and as i don't have too much to do with said alcohol i'll check the underside of the hands in case there's hard residue there.

I tried cleaning with 98% alcohol a few years ago on really hard dirt and it did fine on an old Raketa dial without damage with careful application/usage. (The dial wasn't in the best of shape anyhow)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I see, thanks everybody. So rodico and a slightly moist cotton swap for best results, and as i don't have too much to do with said alcohol i'll check the underside of the hands in case there's hard residue there.

I tried cleaning with 98% alcohol a few years ago on really hard dirt and it did fine on an old Raketa dial without damage with careful application/usage. (The dial wasn't in the best of shape anyhow)
I remember a conversation I once had with the Great @mroatman about dial restoring techniques and he said that he regularly used the saliva and cotton bud technique. Soak the bud in your mouth and then gently dab at the part you want to clean, apparently the enzymes in the saliva help break down any organic matter sticking to the dial. I've since used this technique to help clean up a few dial with success.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Some paints may be resistant, a 1985 Vostok sadly wasn't but it did produce a very very glossy sterile dial as it got rid of the matte shellac coating some dials seem to have.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well wasn't planning to, but when an SE you've been waiting for suddenly shows up 'in stock' on meranom, you've gotta get it!

NICE- Congrats!!!!! Now if only they'd release a few yellow 020's we'd be all set!

It's way better looking in person so you're going to be stoked when you get it

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I remember a conversation I once had with the Great @mroatman about dial restoring techniques and he said that he regularly used the saliva and cotton bud technique. Soak the bud in your mouth and then gently dab at the part you want to clean, apparently the enzymes in the saliva help break down any organic matter sticking to the dial. I've since used this technique to help clean up a few dial with success.
Wasn't there a poster from Bulgaria (was it @miroman ? or someone else?) who used a rust-removing solution for dial restoration? I think I saved that post, but it's hard to look for it on the phone right now.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Picked up a couple of interesting watches over the last few weeks, which I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of! I've been after a Prim for ages, and after a brief flirtation with one in January that unfortunately had to be sent back as it was losing time I'm hoping this one passes muster! The second watch was something I stumbled across and found interesting. A Neva radar style design, gold seemingly printed onto metal. A bit unusual, not sure if anyone has any insight to share, but looking forward to seeing how it looks in person. Finally a classic Raketa design (thanks again to the forum members who helped me conclude that the hands are authentic!)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
A couple more Vostok’s showed up today. I cleaned up the Amphibian with the movement out and upon re-casing it I had the same problem I always seem to have with those dang 2409’s, a struggle seating the crown. I’ve read to put pressure on the movement toward the crown while pressing the crown in and also pressing the stem release button. Something also about using tweezers to grip the stem and work it that way back into the movement? Still didn’t get it in there correctly. I’ll have another go at it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Well wasn't planning to, but when an SE you've been waiting for suddenly shows up 'in stock' on meranom, you've gotta get it!
Indeed! Mine was delivered this morning:

This 420867 GRU kept it company (I guess it couldn't be trusted to travel alone...)

I was going to change the bezel to a plain one until I realised the one I have is the wrong size for this case. Oh well; gives me an excuse to put another order in ;)

Since I didn't ask for a bracelet change I guess this is the new stock bracelet (*) and it's a heck of an improvement over the old hollow link models:

Except that being a butterfly clasp there are NO micro-adjusters :(

This one arrived last week but I only got around to sizing its bracelet today to:

It too has a decent bracelet:

I've now removed the protective strip off the display back

Again a butterfly clasp so no micro-adjusters and no push buttons to help unlock the clasp. You don't want to size this too small as you need to get a finger under the clasp to push it to release...

...I'm a little behind @mariomart with the vostokosis but I now have 31 :eek:

(*) Actually I had a couple of other models arrive last month on which I requested Meranom exchange the stock bracelet for a solid link one and I was surprised that these had butterfly clasp bracelets in the box which I now realise must have been the stock ones so I've been able to upgrade a couple of my other Vostoks to better bracelets too.

1421 - 1440 of 1486 Posts