WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and welcome!

At the beginnig, I would like to apologise everyone who may be irritate while reading this long post. I realize that a lot of similiar topics and queries has been posted here and on other subforum sites. But the time is crucial and considering many available options I still haven't decided what timepiece should I purchase.
I do not know very much about watches industry and technology, especially in inside mechanisms and features like weather forecaster, compass, chronograph, altimeter etc. but I have to learn them. My first serious watch in my life was an old model form Tissot, a gift for my birthday and that's it.
Now, I'm preparing to go abroad. It will be harsh, mid-mountain, rocky and sandy enviroment and I have to have a solid, tough, waterprooof watch wich can withstand most of threats. Specific details are like below:
1. digital or analog (night use, low light, readibility)
2. tritium or other (constant light)
3. steel/aluminium/titanium/pvd/carbon/plastic - high attitude use, magnetic influence in surroundings (must be low)
4. must have compass, stoper, alarm and (not necessary in analog: altimeter, barometer, thermo, chronograph-what is it, etc.)
5. 220ft/100m waterproofness, underwater useable buttons
6. negative screen (what is it? - I only heard about it). Is it a feature that can be helpfull in use in order not to be spotted by reflection from watch?
7. could be mil-spec approved
8. scratch resistant screen
9. robust but practical design
10. quartz or automatic in analog ( what is the difference? which is better for my purposes, see above)
11. mechanism - pros and cons of existing models in that type of watches

Searching about all of this, friend of mine advise me that I probably must consider watches manufactured by these companies (is that true?)
digital : Suunto, G-Shock, Seiko, S&W...
analog : Marathon, Luminox, TraserH3, KHS, Snoon, MTM, Nite, Bell Ross, CWC, SMW, Sinn, Ball, Sandy...

I would be very greatfull for any kind of help, advise, explanations, corrections, remarks ...

I heard only about some companies but I don not know which model of watch would be suitable for me.
Money range from 300 to 1000$.

mbl
:think:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd vote Casio G-shock mudman or a Marathon T-Sar. Add a compass. I've been through some watches and these are Top Dogs! :-!

Add a compass

Reactions: Ricoyyz

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'd have to pretty much second that also. You can go round and round about this that and the other, but a G-Shock covers most of the bases at a very reasonable price.

If you were looking for something a little more high-tech, than I would say check out the entire line of Yes Watches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well at least I'm here again

I wish to send my many thanks to TimeOnTarget and DoubleTap. :thanks
Yours experience in watch world help so:-!so well.
I've had decided and bought a Marathon Navigator and as an additional a SERE Compass.
I hope that will be proper choice.

mbl

Now, I need to choose a digital one...:think:
Only week to go...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

You got good advices and hope you didn't pay too much for it. You should get an inexpensive casion like the G-shock 5600 (the mudman is good too but a little bit bigger) and add it the compass if you really want. Don't bring anything fancy or that you would be mad if you lose or break. If you really need a watch with couple of usefull gizmo get a suunto (like the vector) but its not that great with fine sand and you need to bring an extra battery just in case. Also its not that small. I know the kind of area you talk about and again, don't have anything fancy,nobody around will care about it. Also don't get a too big watch as it get caught in gear (if you have a lot of gear).

Hope it help,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts