WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love JLC, but tend to be more interested in some of their discontinued watches over their current offerings. I'd like to see them go back to some of the more explorative and sport oriented ideas. It seems that they are really hunkering down mostly in the thin dress space but they have so much more to offer.

what about you?

·
Registered
16610LV OG Kermit, 79220N BB Noir ETA, BB58 Blue, Nomos Tangente 38, Seamaster 2541.80 OG Bond
32 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more. I went to a couple JLC ADs and boutiques over the past month in different states to try a few pieces on. While the current selection is nice, I really wish they'd do a sector dial reissue. The MUT moons and the new master chronos are gorgeous, but I feel like I don't have the situations to wear them much. I want to like the Polaris, but I also wish they had other offerings on steel bracelets. Hell, I'd love a master date or memovox on a bracelet, especially since they bumped the master line up to 40mm again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: [BOBO]

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I love JLC, but tend to be more interested in some of their discontinued watches over their current offerings. I'd like to see them go back to some of the more explorative and sport oriented ideas. It seems that they are really hunkering down mostly in the thin dress space but they have so much more to offer.

what about you?
I really like the discontinued Master Compressor series, including the Navy Seals. They specifically hired an outside designer to design the dials of the Compressor watches. They are really interesting looking, while integrating some of the complications on the dial in an interesting way that you don't find in other brands. I have the Compressor GMT (currently on my wrist on OEM rubber!), and I read up quite a bit on that movement (calibre 975H). From what I read, it is such a great movement (extremely accurate and robust, very efficient in winding, interesting implementation of the GMT function, etc.) that I thought they were going to make that as a core movement for many watches to come. It was also used in their Master Hometime. I believe GMT is such a useful movement even to this day. Whey would they discontinue the Master Hometime while retaining other less useful movement (e.g., Power Reserve, etc.)?

Their Compressor Memovox, Geographic, Chrono are all great looking pieces as well. I was kinda disappointed when they discontinued that series and haven't seen any watch with that movement either. Their Polaris are nice, but just not as interesting.

I like JLC and appreciate their dress pieces but they just don't suit me well. Believe me, I have tried their different Reverso on my wrist at the boutique many times. Just don't think I will wear them often.

Threads are better with photo:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I hope to see some of the very limited atelier versions of the Reverso getting in the standard lineup. Don't get me wrong, I love the black and the white dials, but some of the limited ones are out of this world beautiful.

As previously stated above, some of the discontinued divers are more than welcome to do a comeback as far as I'm concerned.

I would also like to see more power reserve indicators on their manual winds. They can put it on the back if they don't want to mess with the dial, but a PR indicator is always a good thing in my book.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Other than the Polaris, which I think is ok, I don’t find their sport watches to be particularly appealing. Stylistically I think they lag far behind the rest of the collection, even if technically they have a lot to offer. Not a single one is anywhere on my wish list.

I would also prefer that they had more options amongst their more refined pieces without a date window. Particularly in the Master Control collection, I’d just rather have most of those styles with a symmetrical dial. I ended up buying the Mont Blanc ultra thin because the equivalent JLC was just significantly less aesthetically pleasing.

But hey, maybe it’s just me!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Amen to JLC sector dials. Likewise to more sporty models. I really wanted to love the blue Polaris, but was underwhelmed with it in the metal. In general, I’d like companies like JLC and GO to have more watches that can be used in the water.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I thought the Geophysic can be that tool watch, if they offer a nice bracelet and maybe a little higher WR.
Maybe, at least the 1958 reissue, but thats now 6-7 years old and limited edition. Only 100m water resistance and no screw down crown, so don't class as tool watches IMO. Thats why I mentioned a diver, and I like a functional dive bezel.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Maybe, at least the 1958 reissue, but thats now 6-7 years old and limited edition. Only 100m water resistance and no screw down crown, so don't class as tool watches IMO. Thats why I mentioned a diver, and I like a functional dive bezel.
I agree, the reissue is what I was referring to. That’s why I felt it was a missing opportunity. When I saw it being released, the size, the history, etc. made it such a good candidate to be the ultimate tool watch. But then I was let down for all the reasons you mentioned.

the navy seals are really nice, except they are all so big, for me anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I really like the direction that JLC has taken this year. The new Master collection and Polaris Mariner provided very welcome updates to some watches that I was on the fence about before. The jumping date on the Master Calendar adds some fun to the watch (together with minute markings which improve the utility of the watch). The Master Chronograph has a well laid out dial. I don't have much to say about the Master Control Date as there wasn't much to improve on the old one.

One of the things that surprised me about the new Master Control range was how the watches can be worn casually with the Novo Nappa strap. I have the Master Calendar and enjoy wearing it with jeans, which I didn't do with the previous version on the alligator strap.

I also like that most Reversos have become simpler over recent years. The complicated Reversos are amazing but I am more drawn to Reversos with an interesting dial.

I'd like to see JLC continuing heading in this direction: producing high quality watches that are on the slightly more casual end of the formal spectrum. Slimmer and slightly smaller watches would be welcome (the Polaris Mariner Date is too large for me at 42mm x 13.92mm, but it's still lovely). I'd also like to see JLC experiment with colour on round watches (similar to the Reverso Tributes).

Also, it's not surprising that from a consumer's perspective I'd like to slow down the steady increase in pricing that we've seen. In my world, JLCs are expensive but there's always been a feeling that you're getting decent value with them when compared with watches in their price bracket or even slightly above.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I’d love a 40mm or less sport watch with at least 100m WR. Would be nice to see JLC release something that competes with the GO SeaQ. I think GO is the German equivalent of JLC - excellent quality and good value for money, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8past10

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Not in the same league by a long shot IMO. How many movements has GO supplied to the Holy Trinity......?
Give me a break... it’s because JLC has been around for much longer. GO is a product of post-WW2 essentially. I’m as big of a JLC fanboy as the next, but to say they aren’t similar quality for the price point is absurd. GO is one of the most underrated and overlooked brands out there.

I’d go so far to say the level of finishing on a GO and overall QC is better than what JLC offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Give me a break... it’s because JLC has been around for much longer. GO is a product of post-WW2 essentially. I’m as big of a JLC fanboy as the next, but to say they aren’t similar quality for the price point is absurd. GO is one of the most underrated and overlooked brands out there.

I’d go so far to say the level of finishing on a GO and overall QC is better than what JLC offers.
We'll agree to disagree......

·
Registered
158 Posts
My wish from JLC is a modern stainless sport watch on an integrated bracelet combine the best of the future with that of the past - the vaccine to the Genta fever.

Movement would be built ground-up for efficiency, accuracy and durability and would feature the latest in horological advancement (silicone springs, non ferrous parts, etc.). This movement would be hand wound affording the watch a 5 day power reserve, The case would be 37-39mm ultra thin case (10mm or less in thickness) and exhibit at least 150mm water resistance and a screw down crown.

·
Registered
28 Posts
JLC is my favourite brand and in general I like where they are going. But I have to agree with you on the "sport" watches. I would like to see them add more sport-oriented pieces or variations of the existing ones. Also, being a metal bracelet fan myself I would like to see more choices on that department for both new watches and existing ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I really like the discontinued Master Compressor series, including the Navy Seals. They specifically hired an outside designer to design the dials of the Compressor watches. They are really interesting looking, while integrating some of the complications on the dial in an interesting way that you don't find in other brands. I have the Compressor GMT (currently on my wrist on OEM rubber!), and I read up quite a bit on that movement (calibre 975H). From what I read, it is such a great movement (extremely accurate and robust, very efficient in winding, interesting implementation of the GMT function, etc.) that I thought they were going to make that as a core movement for many watches to come. It was also used in their Master Hometime. I believe GMT is such a useful movement even to this day. Whey would they discontinue the Master Hometime while retaining other less useful movement (e.g., Power Reserve, etc.)?

Their Compressor Memovox, Geographic, Chrono are all great looking pieces as well. I was kinda disappointed when they discontinued that series and haven't seen any watch with that movement either. Their Polaris are nice, but just not as interesting.

I like JLC and appreciate their dress pieces but they just don't suit me well. Believe me, I have tried their different Reverso on my wrist at the boutique many times. Just don't think I will wear them often.

Threads are better with photo:
View attachment 15640241
Are you, me? Literally feel the same exact way and have the same exact watch but with the steel bracelet. That there are only a few on the market right now speaks to how well this model was received. Mine is also fantastically accurate at +2/-2 average daily rate.

I absolutely loved this period of JLC.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I just love JLC. But they can do so much better than what they are doing now.

There are 2 watches or I should say product lines I wish JLC brings back -

1. Master Powermatic - Powermatic was one of the earliest power reserve indicator watches. It had all 4 qualities for being the perfect formal watch ~ Small, thin, simple and useful ~ Perfection. The best part is that they have calibers within the current lineup which they can use for bringing back this model. Another option is to move the power indicator at the back. And keep the front even simpler.

2. (AMVOX) Haraion Chronograph Reveil :
Heraion Revil is a vintage JLC model which went something like this : 37mm x 7mm, MegaQuartz Movement, Chrono with Alarm, 50m Water Resistance. I loved the sizing, functionality and just the badass movement which this watch had. AMVOX as a lineup was kind of a big challenge to Richard Mille watches ~ over-engineered, breathtaking, and athletic-robust. If they can combine the AMVOX engineering with this MegaQuartz movement and keep the vintage sizing, it can be the best travel, or athletic sporty watch etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts