WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just love JLC. But they can do so much better than what they are doing now.

There are 2 watches or I should say product lines I wish JLC brings back -

1. Master Powermatic - Powermatic was one of the earliest power reserve indicator watches. It had all 4 qualities for being the perfect formal watch ~ Small, thin, simple and useful ~ Perfection. The best part is that they have calibers within the current lineup which they can use for bringing back this model. Another option is to move the power indicator at the back. And keep the front even simpler.
View attachment 15644715
2. (AMVOX) Haraion Chronograph Reveil :
Heraion Revil is a vintage JLC model which went something like this : 37mm x 7mm, MegaQuartz Movement, Chrono with Alarm, 50m Water Resistance. I loved the sizing, functionality and just the badass movement which this watch had. AMVOX as a lineup was kind of a big challenge to Richard Mille watches ~ over-engineered, breathtaking, and athletic-robust. If they can combine the AMVOX engineering with this MegaQuartz movement and keep the vintage sizing, it can be the best travel, or athletic sporty watch etc.
View attachment 15644721
Like like like the idea of an update to the powermatic if it’s done right- purchased a vintage LeCoultre powermatic a few years back that is still one of my favorite watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I would love to see a Master Control Diver, a variant of the new 40mm Master Control but with a 200m+ WR, external dive-time bezel, and a kick-ass bracelet. That, or a 40/41mm Master Compressor Diving Chronograph. Your pick, JLC. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Master Compressor was the model line that got me into JLC in the first place. I think JLC made Polaris better with the Mariner, but I would still much prefer another iteration of Master Compressor. That line was just right - the font, the dial proportions, the complications and those crowns. I would want to see it back in the lineup.

Failing that, I think they should revive those awesome crowns in the Polaris line, somehow.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd like to see a 'standard' reverso with a display back option, perhaps more around the price of the duoface so they can put a bit extra work into finishing

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I would love to see a Master Control Diver, a variant of the new 40mm Master Control but with a 200m+ WR, external dive-time bezel, and a kick-ass bracelet. That, or a 40/41mm Master Compressor Diving Chronograph. Your pick, JLC. ;)
View attachment 15645617
I agree... they might be able to scoop up customers who aren’t willing to wait for the new Submariner either. I’d love to see them bring back a diver with similar aesthetics to the Navy Seals MC.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I really wish they would bring back more masculine tool watches with some ingenuity. The current line is just boring IMO.

I know they’re trying with the Polaris line but it misses the mark, imo. They are still nice watches, but nothing compares to the Master Compressor.

Who knows, maybe with Covid and more people working from home, dress watches will become less relevant. I’ve seen numerous threads on forums debating this exact topic. Perhaps it will encourage JLC to give us more casual, tool-minded watches.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I like how they are dressed watch focus. Outside of JLC And IWC, it seems the whole watch market is trying to cash in on the sports market and really we don't need more options in that space if you ask me.

Having dress options above Longines and below A. Lange, VC, PP is a great place to be.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I like how they are dressed watch focus. Outside of JLC And IWC, it seems the whole watch market is trying to cash in on the sports market and really we don't need more options in that space if you ask me.

Having dress options above Longines and below A. Lange, VC, PP is a great place to be.
I don’t think anyone is arguing that they deviate from dress watches - the fact remains JLC will always be oriented towards dress watches. It would be nice though if they expanded their line up a bit more.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I know they’re trying with the Polaris line but it misses the mark, imo. They are still nice watches, but nothing compares to the Master Compressor.

Who knows, maybe with Covid and more people working from home, dress watches will become less relevant. I’ve seen numerous threads on forums debating this exact topic. Perhaps it will encourage JLC to give us more casual, tool-minded watches.

The Polaris line is nice, but IMO it’s lacking in character. JLC had so many interesting sports models in it’s line just a few years ago, like the Aston Martin, the compressor line, or the deep-sea chronographs in steel, or ceramic etc.

I miss my DSC. Talk about the perfect chronograph that was fun, and compatible with anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The Polaris line is nice, but IMO it’s lacking in character. JLC had so many interesting sports models in it’s line just a few years ago, like the Aston Martin, the compressor line, or the deep-sea chronographs in steel, or ceramic etc.

I miss my DSC. Talk about the perfect chronograph that was fun, and compatible with anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beautiful watch.. that’s exactly what we need from JLC right now, IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would really like to see them bring back the Deep Sea line. I would like a JLC to be my next time piece but nothing of theirs in the current catalog really does anything for me. Revive the Deep Sea Chrono pictured above so I can buy one new and you can take my money!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Add:
1) Master Ultra Thin series with a hand finished movement in the 20k range. I think JLC has the dial aesthetic advantage on the 5227 and Saxonia, but the movement isn't in the same league. Add a nice hand finished movement and you'd have a real Patek killer in my opinion.
2) Master compressor diver in 40-42mm. Leverage the old quirky design with teal dial accents... Just right sized with modern materials and a solid bracelet

Fix:
1) The Polaris line. A movement that fits the case. More interesting dials. A bracelet that makes you want to order the watch on a bracelet. Shrink or kill the 44mm world time chrono.
2) Duometre. Clean up the dial aesthetics. No more partial skeleton models. Thin down the case. These are amazing watches with amazing movements. Its a shame to see them selling for 50% retail on the secondary market.
3) Replace the triple calendars with legitimate annual calendars. If IWC can do it, no excuses for JLC. For perpetuals, ditch the Kurt Klaus design. Develop a real in-house JLC perpetual with proper finishing and make these watches the heavy hitters they deserve to be.

Maintain:
1) Reverso and standard MC lines are the sweet spot right now. Keep designs going in the current direction. Put more marketing behind the Reverso. This is one of the top design icons in the industry. Could/Should be as recognizable as the Royal Oak.
2) High complications that show off what the brand can do. This is what makes JLC unique. What other brand offers an entry point of $6k and does $800k super complications at the high end?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
2) High complications that show off what the brand can do. This is what makes JLC unique. What other brand offers an entry point of $6k and does $800k super complications at the high end?
Not even close. A cool $2.5million buys the Jaeger LeCoultre Hybris Mechanica Grande Sonnerie

·
Registered
179 Posts
I really like the direction that JLC has taken this year. The new Master collection and Polaris Mariner provided very welcome updates to some watches that I was on the fence about before. The jumping date on the Master Calendar adds some fun to the watch (together with minute markings which improve the utility of the watch). The Master Chronograph has a well laid out dial. I don't have much to say about the Master Control Date as there wasn't much to improve on the old one.

One of the things that surprised me about the new Master Control range was how the watches can be worn casually with the Novo Nappa strap. I have the Master Calendar and enjoy wearing it with jeans, which I didn't do with the previous version on the alligator strap.

I also like that most Reversos have become simpler over recent years. The complicated Reversos are amazing but I am more drawn to Reversos with an interesting dial.

I'd like to see JLC continuing heading in this direction: producing high quality watches that are on the slightly more casual end of the formal spectrum. Slimmer and slightly smaller watches would be welcome (the Polaris Mariner Date is too large for me at 42mm x 13.92mm, but it's still lovely). I'd also like to see JLC experiment with colour on round watches (similar to the Reverso Tributes).

Also, it's not surprising that from a consumer's perspective I'd like to slow down the steady increase in pricing that we've seen. In my world, JLCs are expensive but there's always been a feeling that you're getting decent value with them when compared with watches in their price bracket or even slightly above.
I think your last point is very accurate. They are heading up the price ladder way to fast and there are simply more interesting pieces out there. Their dial design and case structure lack the wow factor. Their movements are of course solid, but 17k for their new Polaris marine... it’s just not there.

If they wanted to spiff it up a bit they could always go the integrated bracelet sports watch. One more can’t hurt.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I was a bit cool on the Polaris when it came out, but now I love it. I see it in the same vein as the Rolex Explorer I (not comparing brands here, just style of these particular models). I think the Polaris Automatic is a fantastic watch. Simple, no date layout, with interesting variations in the dial, crisp, easy to read hour markers, and a large dial. Both black and blue have their own particular charm.

Where the Polaris loses me is once it adds complications. If I want a serious JLC tool watch, the MC series is where I would go.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
They should be all in on sports models. I love the Reverso and several of the Master Control models, however, they are not practical for me. I need a beater or else watch spends more time in shop than on my wrist. I considered the Polaris but I just can’t warm up to that dial.
They should come up with some more appealing (mainstream) designs like GS, Omega, Rolex, or especially Zenith with the new Chronomaster

·
Registered
16 Posts
JLC needs to find some balls and try to be the best at something, anything, again. In its history JLC has sought excellence: thinnest watch/movement, toughest watch (Navy seals), best diver (many), best alarm watch, most extreme sports watch (extreme lab 2), most accurate watch (master tourbillion), best manual chronograph (Duometre), best motorsport chrono (amvox), oiless serviceless watch (extreme lab), and others. Best is relative and ever changing so they didn't always win but you could see intent to compete and for all their watches to be known for something.

What does JLC do today? Where is the brand's innovation and drive for excellence? There are some nice reversos, the master refresh is beautiful, and the mariners look promising, but these are just aesthetic refreshes and repackaging of old movements. Unobtanium gyrotourbs and westminsters aside, there is nothing in the catalog that has a net new movement designed in the last decade.

Oh, and while they're at it, they need to get their service dept unfubared. My Duometre is on service #4, I'm not buying anything from JLC beyond straps until they prove they can fix a watch. My other JLC is on service #2, I haven't worn a JLC in almost a year while they jerk me around sending watches back and forth that keep failing after service.

JLC was a great brand. They have been around nearing on 2 centuries, they can be a great brand again. If they can find some fire and passion to do great things, to be the best, good watches (and service) will follow. JLC didn't have a CEO for a while, hopefully the new CEO now will right the ship but it's been a couple years now, the clock is ticking.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
JLC needs to find some balls and try to be the best at something, anything, again. In its history JLC has sought excellence: thinnest watch/movement, toughest watch (Navy seals), best diver (many), best alarm watch, most extreme sports watch (extreme lab 2), most accurate watch (master tourbillion), best manual chronograph (Duometre), best motorsport chrono (amvox), oiless serviceless watch (extreme lab), and others. Best is relative and ever changing so they didn't always win but you could see intent to compete and for all their watches to be known for something.

What does JLC do today? Where is the brand's innovation and drive for excellence? There are some nice reversos, the master refresh is beautiful, and the mariners look promising, but these are just aesthetic refreshes and repackaging of old movements. Unobtanium gyrotourbs and westminsters aside, there is nothing in the catalog that has a net new movement designed in the last decade.

Oh, and while they're at it, they need to get their service dept unfubared. My Duometre is on service #4, I'm not buying anything from JLC beyond straps until they prove they can fix a watch. My other JLC is on service #2, I haven't worn a JLC in almost a year while they jerk me around sending watches back and forth that keep failing after service.

JLC was a great brand. They have been around nearing on 2 centuries, they can be a great brand again. If they can find some fire and passion to do great things, to be the best, good watches (and service) will follow. JLC didn't have a CEO for a while, hopefully the new CEO now will right the ship but it's been a couple years now, the clock is ticking.....
fully agree with you.
+they need to create,
+they need to be more affordable as well.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts