WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my Father's watch. I think he got either have he graduated college or as a wedding present. It has not ran in a long time. I would like to get it going.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
782 Posts
A very nice watch, obviously with memories and significance for you.

It's an Accutron with a 214 movement, the first generation of their tuning fork movements. It's quickly identifiable by the time setting key being on the back, rather than on the side near three or four o'clock. "214" will be stamped on the back side of the movement.

There will be a date code stamped on the outside of the back. Two characters, a letter (M or N) followed by a single number digit. M = 1960's, and M = 1970's. Most or all of the 214 watches will have an M code. The number following the letter indicates the year, so M6 would be 1966.

It takes a 387S battery. The original size (and chemistry) is no longer made, but the 387S works. It goes in with the + side away from you, towards the dial. That's opposite from nearly all modern electronic watches.

Service: Some say that for a tuning fork watch that's sat unused for many years, you shouldn't even put in a battery without having it serviced first. My Accutron repair guy says it doesn't matter much, if you only let it run briefly. The old lubricants have dried up. They no longer provide lubrication, but instead provide gummy or hardened residue that causes mechanical resistance within the mechanism. Not a good thing.

Service. My Accutron service person is Rob B. (Berkavicius), in Thailand. There are now only a handful of qualified tuning fork service people worldwide, so sending it overseas is not a crazy idea. [email protected]

Rob is included in this thread that discusses a number of Accutron service people.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f705/def...ce-repair-thread-4647945.html#/topics/4647945

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the information. 1966 is the year my parents is the year my parents were married.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thank you so much for the information. 1966 is the year my parents is the year my parents were married.

To be clear, I wasn't able to read the date code in your photo. I gave M6 = 1966 as an example.

It looks like the code might be just below the serial number. Maybe M5? I can't make out the detail.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To be clear, I wasn't able to read the date code in your photo. I gave M6 = 1966 as an example.

It looks like the code might be just below the serial number. Maybe M5? I can't make out the detail.
Hard to see for sure but I'm going M3...1963.

Like mystic nerd Rob B. services my Accutrons as well. It will at minimum cost you $13.75 to get it to Thailand, $100 for service (plus any parts), $12 for a gasket set, and $10 return shipping. You've got a fairly scratched up crystal there, a new one would be about $10 or so I think. So best case you're looking at ~$150. Worse case for parts would be a coil set which I believe is about $100, other parts are fairly reasonable. Then there's the case. I've not had a gold filled case refinished by Rob (and his case finish genius) but the cost for that is by quote. But I'd suspect a ball park would be $100-200. Of course Rob would need to quote that personally after seeing it. So really you'd be maybe somewhere in the $350-400ish range at the top end to make it completely mechanically sound and looking as good as it's capable of looking, which would be essentially like new (assuming the dial is as nice as it looks under the scratched crystal). It sounds like a lot but check out the prices of a quality watch nowadays. Add in the value of a watch with such sentimental value for you...it really becomes priceless, and inexpensive.

None of mine have sentimental value. Well, some have been very good deals and they've been fun and memorable for that reason but I can guarantee you 100% were I to find out that my Dad had an Accutron in a drawer I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

One favor to all of us though :) Get that flex band removed (keep it for the sentimental value) and put a nice period leather strap on it (heck, I'll send you one!). Those flex bands with expandable end links dig the lugs out over time.

Best of luck whatever you do but do think about it. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the result at all. If sending a watch to Thailand isn't appealing there are state-side resources that can certainly get it all done for you as well.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hard to see for sure but I'm going M3...1963.

Like mystic nerd Rob B. services my Accutrons as well. It will at minimum cost you $13.75 to get it to Thailand, $100 for service (plus any parts), $12 for a gasket set, and $10 return shipping. You've got a fairly scratched up crystal there, a new one would be about $10 or so I think. So best case you're looking at ~$150. Worse case for parts would be a coil set which I believe is about $100, other parts are fairly reasonable. Then there's the case. I've not had a gold filled case refinished by Rob (and his case finish genius) but the cost for that is by quote. But I'd suspect a ball park would be $100-200. Of course Rob would need to quote that personally after seeing it. So really you'd be maybe somewhere in the $350-400ish range at the top end to make it completely mechanically sound and looking as good as it's capable of looking, which would be essentially like new (assuming the dial is as nice as it looks under the scratched crystal). It sounds like a lot but check out the prices of a quality watch nowadays. Add in the value of a watch with such sentimental value for you...it really becomes priceless, and inexpensive.

None of mine have sentimental value. Well, some have been very good deals and they've been fun and memorable for that reason but I can guarantee you 100% were I to find out that my Dad had an Accutron in a drawer I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

One favor to all of us though :) Get that flex band removed (keep it for the sentimental value) and put a nice period leather strap on it (heck, I'll send you one!). Those flex bands with expandable end links dig the lugs out over time.

Best of luck whatever you do but do think about it. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the result at all. If sending a watch to Thailand isn't appealing there are state-side resources that can certainly get it all done for you as well.
Thank you for that information. I'd like to keep it state side if possible. My understanding is that the 10k case was only produced for one year.

·
1,296 Posts
The case is 10KT gold filled, not 10KT which would be solid gold. The gold filled and solid gold cases were produced for more than one year, I believe. Also, please do not lay the movement dial down - it's easy to cause damage that way. :-(
Samantha

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The case is 10KT gold filled, not 10KT which would be solid gold. The gold filled and solid gold cases were produced for more than one year, I believe. Also, please do not lay the movement dial down - it's easy to cause damage that way. :-(
Samantha
Say good bye index wheel...
Say good bye index and pawl fingers and or jewels...
If your lucky, the watch is so gummy that nothing moved...

Regards, BG

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put it back together right after I took the pics. The hands still move freely. I was very careful handling it. I used tweezers to handle the movement.
Say good bye index wheel...
Say good bye index and pawl fingers and or jewels...
If your lucky, the watch is so gummy that nothing moved...

Regards, BG

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
...The hands still move freely. I was very careful handling it. I used tweezers to handle the movement.
Now you are scaring me...
Until it is competently examined, I would refrain from trying to move the hands via setting mechanism or otherwise. Kill the index wheel and/or jeweled fingers and the effort involved and resultant price to repair go up...

These beasts are VERY intolerant of mishandling...

Good luck...
BG

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hope you get this family heirloom piece repaired and running The Thomas J. FYI, that dial is one not that often seen, and a particularly nice one. I've always liked the look of it.

Eric

Reactions: The Thomas J
1 - 11 of 11 Posts