WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What do I say when the wife said "why does it cost that much?".

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  AzWatchBroker 
#1 · (Edited)
I am in the market for a new watch and my wife knows it. I sold off my Prodiver to raise funds to get the U1 or maybe a Ball. She knows how much I sold the Prodiver for. Then she asks the question, "why do you have to spend so much, a $50.00 watch will work just the same". I knew the question would be coming so I counter with " why do you need those expensive diamond earrings, Cubic Zirconia's look just the same". Well she said that's not the same thing, there fake diamonds. I say they look the same to me. She said it makes me feel better to have the real thing. BINGO.............She said what I was hoping she would say. I counter with the same argument, it makes me feel better wearing a nice crafted watch. I change watch straps like she changes shoes. I got my point across and now it's a moot point. By the way my new watch will still cost less then the bling on her hand and ears cost by a long shot.

#2 ·
Congrats,,I think you did a fine job there..With the hobbies i have i am glad i am single.It does sound like she kinda understand the reasons behind the extra cost if you want some quality.I don't even tell my friends how much i've spent on my watches..They still wear the 10 dollar one you get at wal-mart.

#4 ·
True, I have my bang around watches but I still want that one nice watch.

G
#5 ·
IMHO, the comparison to jewelry while it seems to work does not really answer the question.

My budget is about $1250 or so. Then she asks the question, "why do you have to spend so much, a $50.00 watch will work just the same"
This is a true statement. A cellphone has a clock built in. You could ride a bike instead of driving a car.

The point is, finely crafted high quality wristwatches are just that. They require lots of quality materials, in some cases hand assembled and finished. A fine wristwatch is more than just a time keeping device. It is jewelry, it is a fashion accessory, it is a statement by the wearer that they value fine things and enjoy owning them.

Finally depending on your station in life, would you rather be wearing an inexpensive plastic watch or something of finer quality that befits your job or your age? I know that I do and I make no apologies for that.

#21 ·
IMHO, the comparison to jewelry while it seems to work does not really answer the question.

This is a true statement. A cellphone has a clock built in. You could ride a bike instead of driving a car.

The point is, finely crafted high quality wristwatches are just that. They require lots of quality materials, in some cases hand assembled and finished. A fine wristwatch is more than just a time keeping device. It is jewelry, it is a fashion accessory, it is a statement by the wearer that they value fine things and enjoy owning them.

Finally depending on your station in life, would you rather be wearing an inexpensive plastic watch or something of finer quality that befits your job or your age? I know that I do and I make no apologies for that.
-Talk about $3000 watches.............then by one for $1250.

-Buy a watch for $1250, then spend a lousy $40 on a dozen roses, works everytime.

-and the last but not least...........WTH are you telling her what you're paying for the watch. Honey look at the cool watch I bought for $50!!

#6 ·
I made the mistake of bringing up the price of a watch with a friend of mine. He thought it was ridiculous that I was contemplating spending $3000 on a watch (sadly I didn't pick up that Speedy Pro). Persuasive, rational argument doesn't work in that situation. It doesn't matter that my $3000 will buy me a watch that'll last longer than a life time, while his $3000 will buy him a new TV every 2 or 3 years. It's somehow understandable to spend thousands of dollars on goods that are consumed and thrown out after a couple of years of use, but incomprehensible to spend thousands of dollars on a prized possession you'll hand down for generations.

I don't understand it, but it's an engrained perspective in most of the people I know.

#7 ·
I agree with beshannon. I think you missed an excellent opportunity to share your passion and the reasons for it with your wife. I find most people can understand (although not necessarily share :-d) an appreciation for fine watches if you explain it to them.

BTW - CZ is NOT the same as diamonds. CZ scratches and dulls over time.

Jeannie

#8 ·
Then she asks the question, "why do you have to spend so much, a $50.00 watch will work just the same". I knew the question would be coming so I counter with " why do you need those expensive diamond earrings, Cubic Zirconia's look just the same". Well she said that's not the same thing, there fake diamonds. I say they look the same to me. She said it makes me feel better to have the real thing. BINGO.............She said what I was hoping she would say. I counter with the same argument, it makes me feel better wearing a nice crafted watch. I change watch straps like she changes shoes. I got my point across and now it's a moot point. By the way my new watch will still cost less then the bling on her hand and ears cost by a long shot.
great work! :-!

#11 ·
I've found that I have more luck with making the positive case for expensive watches than I do with pointing out alleged hypocrisy in the s/o's spending predilections. And I think I've been successful. She's gone from questioning why I'd want an expensive automatic watch to asking me which one I'd like as an engagement present (when that inevitable time arrives).

That said, the s/o is undoubtably smarter than most of my friends who won't respond to reason, and still question the wisdom of a $500 watch whilst spending thousands on new TVs, DVDs and various forms of (sub-par) alcohol procurement.

#12 ·
I am in the market for a new watch and my wife knows it. I sold off my Prodiver to raise funds to get the U1 or maybe a Ball. She knows how much I sold the Prodiver for. My budget is about $1250 or so. Then she asks the question, "why do you have to spend so much, a $50.00 watch will work just the same". I knew the question would be coming so I counter with " why do you need those expensive diamond earrings, Cubic Zirconia's look just the same". Well she said that's not the same thing, there fake diamonds. I say they look the same to me. She said it makes me feel better to have the real thing. BINGO.............She said what I was hoping she would say. I counter with the same argument, it makes me feel better wearing a nice crafted watch. I change watch straps like she changes shoes. I got my point across and now it's a moot point. By the way my new watch will still cost less then the bling on her hand and ears cost by a long shot.
Here's a few things that have worked for me.

With my wife I've found that becoming interested in her hobbies allows us to participate in and talk about both our interests. We've gone on long weekend trips that involve knitting & spinning(hers), horological stuff(mine), antiques(ours), american cut glass(ours), etc. I've also given her some nice watches that fit her style and interests.

#20 ·
As I am not married I have no watch/spouse justification stories to share.... My friends just believe Ive gone mad!

One story that does come to mind though is of a client of mine.

Having bought a beginner mountain bike "entry race level" bike at the start of the season, halfway through he began to feel like he needed something better to fulfill his needs. So after arranging a bike, we worked it out so that he could pay $2000 in cash from a job he had done (he is self employed) and he would pay the remaining $500 on his card.

That left one problem, his wife isnt stupid and would realize that the bike was worth much more than the $500 he had told her he was spending on "upgrades". Two days later he rode in, his bike had been repainted in white to resemble the previous bike he owned. To someone in the know it was obvious, to his wife, not so much.

To this day his wife has no clue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.