WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
What do you think of the quality behind Perrelet, and do they keep their watches limited?
I think their quality is fine. I'd no reservation in that regard.

-- Perrelet Watch Reviews & Information | aBlogtoWatch
-- Perrelet, looking forward although the rug has been pulled from under your feet | independent watch projects

Off Topic:
I think if Perrelet come out with yet another turbine watch, well, they'll have built yet another quality watch I have absolutely no need or desire to own.

All the best.

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Honestly I can't imagine a Perrelet watch without the turbine...

I'm a professional [desk] diver.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Very underated brand. Right now I'm wearing a Seacraft chronograph 777 (discontinued) with no turbine. I love it. Quite a sturdy watch, lots of presence on the wrist. Looks like a PO chronograph. Has an ETA 2892 with Dubois-Depraz chronograph module, same movement as AP RO chronograph. Rated 800m WR with helium valve, not that I need one. It wasn't cheap (4.100 EUR / 5,000 USD), but massive discounts could be obtained. There are still some great bargains out there which make it a fantastic value proposition IMHO.

ABTW did a review a while back.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/perrelet-seacraft-watches-hands-on/

Edit: picture

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I ask is because this is the first time I spent in the thousands on a watch. Im definitely excited about it. I wanted a quality watch with a skeleton dial. I found a Perrelet skeleton chronograph new for only $2100. The guy was desperate to sell so I got it for a steal IMO. Pretty good considering it retails for about$8000. With the quality behind the watches, having in-house movements. Does Perrelet have the potential of moving up the tier ladder?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The reason I ask is because this is the first time I spent in the thousands on a watch. Im definitely excited about it. I wanted a quality watch with a skeleton dial. I found a Perrelet skeleton chronograph new for only $2100. The guy was desperate to sell so I got it for a steal IMO. Pretty good considering it retails for about$8000. With the quality behind the watches, having in-house movements. Does Perrelet have the potential of moving up the tier ladder?
Be careful about "list prices," they are very different by brand. For some, it's difficult to buy a new watch from an authorized dealer (or even a reputable grey market dealer) for more than 5-10% off list. Rolex is an example (Although there is variation by model, of course, depending on popularity). For others, discounts of 50% or more off list are common. Perrelet is one of those brands--there are others.

That being said, they are what I would consider mid-range watches, nothing wrong with that. They have a jump hour watch that I quite like, although I've never pulled the trigger on one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Perrelet finishing is fair to good (akin of comparable to TAG or Maurice Lacroix). Most of their watches are limited (especially on the turbine models) mainly because it doesnt sells quite well for an obvious reason

Perrelet turbine (I assume you want to obtain the turbine one) are fun to have and play with, while showing it to your friends. Not a good investment, since Perrelet marketing effort have led to generally failed marketing on their behalf.

Having said all that, I would buy their Turbine Erotica just for fun

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

I suppose Perrelet, like any watch company, can upscale themselves, so yes, they have the potential in that regard. Do they have the financial wherewithal to do so? I don't know; I haven't looked over their financials. Do they have the will to upscale even if the have (can raise) the money for it? I doubt it.

The very top of the market is crowded as it is; moreover, in these times when the future of mechanical watchmaking of that caliber is questionable with regard to the next decade and beyond, I doubt there's much strategic value in securing/using the major millions such a move would take given that they aren't already positioned and widely as a upper level brand. Uncertain times of the nature we see in the watch industry aren't the ones that militate for that sort of expansion or repositioning.

Top makers like PP and Rolex, along with a small few others, can persist on the sales made to diehard collectors and devotees if it pans out that technology innovations re: "smart watches" make devices of that ilk indispensable in the daily lives of the typical watch wearer. Companies seeking to break into that tier, however, are very unlikely to do so. Better for them to shift with the trend than to invest major resources to break into the top ranks of watch production.

All the best.

Business is a game, played for fantastic stakes, and you're in competition with experts. If you want to win, you have to learn to be a master of the game.
― Sidney Sheldon, Master of the Game

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.