WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kept reading comments from forum members saying they lack wrist size for a certain watch. I wonder what is considered a big wrist? What wrist size looks good with a mammoth watch like a Hogrider?

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
I consider it a big wrist when standard straps won't fit and you have to order extra links more than 1/2 the time. That means 7.75in+ in my experience.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Mine. 8.5" I've had to order extra links for a few of my watches with bracelets, and on some, change straps to wear the watch at all.

Most of the my watches though fit OK received as is.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I don't really know... it would have to be judged in person I guess.

But, I suppose I would say that anyone who says that a 45mm (without crown) watch is 'too small' for them would have a big wrist (damn giants!)
Unless of course the watch was translucent or something, or perhaps black (with it's 'slimming-properties' and all)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Mine is 8.25". This means that most entry-mid level Seiko autos on bracelet (with the exception of a few of their divers) are pretty much off my radar. Nothin' spoils the mood quicker for me than having to add 20-50% to the cost of the watch in extra links. Thankfullly, most of the orient divers and dress watches come with bracelets with plenty of length.

Now, this is based purely on estimates provided by product descriptions on sites like Blue Dial, Discount Watch Store, or Premierworld on the bay. I have no idea how accurate they are and frankly I've no stomach for gambling at the moment.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I would say anything above 7.75" is getting into the larger sizes, as most standard straps start to reach their ends as you approach that, and most bracelets will require extra links past 8". As I see it most average wrist sizes are within half an inch +/- of 7".

·
Registered
871 Posts
It always depends on the watch that on that particular wrist. A 34 mm dresswatch looks pretty tiny on a 19 cm wrist ;-)

Apart from that, I'd also say that more than 7,75 inch is quite large.
I read a note from a guy on another forum, he has 26 cm = 10,2 inch wrists. Holy crap... I guess it's not fun seeking a watch that looks "normal" on his wrist.

Cheers,
Sebastian

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's an interesting question.
Strap-wise, a 7.75/8'' wrist is big, IMO.

However, when we talk about watches, that's not that simple. Look at me for example. My wrists are 7.75'' (19.7cm) but my wrist bones are not very wide. They are thick, and the tendons under them are quite bulky. I have a friend that has 7'' our less wrists, but with much wider bones. The result? His Ecozilla sits much better on him than on me, with my bigger wrist measurement.
So I think that, when the issue is a strap, we should measure the perimeter of the wrist. When we talk about the watch itself, the wrist bone width is all that matters.
;-)

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Mine is 8.25". This means that most entry-mid level Seiko autos on bracelet (with the exception of a few of their divers) are pretty much off my radar. Nothin' spoils the mood quicker for me than having to add 20-50% to the cost of the watch in extra links. Thankfullly, most of the orient divers and dress watches come with bracelets with plenty of length.

Now, this is based purely on estimates provided by product descriptions on sites like Blue Dial, Discount Watch Store, or Premierworld on the bay. I have no idea how accurate they are and frankly I've no stomach for gambling at the moment.
I can clear it up for you with regard to the Mako on SS. Its too small for 8in wrist without a link of 2 depending on how loose you want the bracelet.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Actually, I've owned 3 different makos and they all fit me perfectly.:think:

To clarify, the guesstimation problem I've encountered is with the Seikos. And it sucks because there are so many seiko 5's that I would love to try out. If the links for those standard (relatively cheap) bracelets are readily available and inexpensive, I'll be all over them. Is there a preferred Seiko bracelet/link vendor among WUSsinites? Or would I have to go directly to Seiko?

edit: Hmmm, watchbands.com has a nifty little order form for Seiko links

http://www.watchbands.com/ProductInfo.aspx,,productid,,SEIKO%20LINKS

Anybody had any experience with these guys? Seiko 5's here I come!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I find that most divers are a good fit without any adjustment. But I have to be careful ordering straps for my 8 1/2 inch wrist. The funny thing is I always thought my wrist small but I was comparing mine to my fathers. 9 1/2 to 10 inches, he was a big man - not fat.

Reactions: Jangus

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The shape of the wrist also matters....mine is approx 7.5 but I've been blessed so my wrists are more 'flatter' on the top so that allows me to wear med-large watches without any problem.

Even when I wear my 51mm Frankenmonster, it still does NOT look like a Flavor Love on my hand.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I find that most divers are a good fit without any adjustment. But I have to be careful ordering straps for my 8 1/2 inch wrist. The funny thing is I always thought my wrist small but I was comparing mine to my fathers. 9 1/2 to 10 inches, he was a big man - not fat.
So many different wrist types! I am
Like you, most watches thankfully fit just fine with all the supplied links.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have an 8" wrist. I have never needed to purchase extra links for any bracelet-equipped watch; but I know for certain that most standard-sized leather straps are way too small for me to wear without strangling my wrist. This seems counterintuitive to me, but it certainly appears that, on average, watches on straps are sized to considerably smaller dimensions than watches on bracelets.

I guess I should attach a proviso to this - I haven't purchased a non-dive watch in decades. Perhaps bracelets for dive watches are sized more generously than on other watch styles.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Stern,
8”+ wrists! Vance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts