WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Literally had my friend's ignorant friend, who knows nothing about watches, has an iq of 0, and has no class insult me and call me stupid for spending money on an expensive watch. (Not that expensive, $500, but it's expensive to him).

He knows nothing about watches.

What do you/what's your reaction when ignorant people who know nothing about watches decide to insult you bc of how much you paid for a watch?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I would accept it as a way of life.

Even if you have Rolex or Patek, some people on this forum would still make the same claim, that it's a waste of money because xyz brand can make a watch for 10% of the cost.

It's better to let it go when you are still in the affordable realm, so that you won't get too upset when you drop thousands of dollars on an Omega or Breitling, and people with a $200 watch calls you a fool.

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
I agree with them?

Lots of people do stupid stuff with their money. If you exercise a modicum of responsibility, it brings you joy and doesn't hurt anyone else, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Find a new friend.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You rarely can change anyone's opinion.
I have told people how much I have made on selling a few watches, that usually shuts them up.
Besides, it is your money.
I generally consider collectible watches as "assets" not "liabilities" a hole one throws money into like a sailboat (ask me how I know;)

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,300 Posts
Literally had my friend's ignorant friend, who knows nothing about watches, has an iq of 0, and has no class insult me and call me stupid for spending money on an expensive watch. (Not that expensive, $500, but it's expensive to him).

What do you/what's your reaction when ignorant people who know nothing about watches decide to insult you bc of how much you paid for a watch?
Most of the time it is casual, more of a "you spent how much?!?!", and we both laugh about it when I ask them about their expensive hobby of choice.

I have never met anyone that called me stupid for it. I tend to not associate with people that would do that. Very short sighted and judgemental, or so it sounds.

You should find new people to hang with. Not because they are non-watch people (most of my best friends are not), but because they are not the type of friends likely to make you a better person.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Laugh and say, "Well, keep going to the anger management classes, maybe sell your xbox and keep taking your meds and if there's anything I can do, let me know." That's all.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,695 Posts

Ask if he has any hobbies.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If he knows nothing about watches then how did he know how much yours cost?

Did he ask and did you tell him?

This is why most people balk at that question to begin with, because if someone is socially inept enough to ask something like that in the first place then they are likely socially inept enough to give an uwarranted and unwanted opinion no matter what your answer is.

The answer is the same as what you would do on here, hit the ignore button.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont really hang with with him.

My friend drags him along everywhere he goes and everytime I have the misfortune of being around him, he never misses an opportunity to try and insult me.

He has been this way since I met him.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Consider the source? Honestly, I have friends that spend thousands on their hobbies that I have zero interest in and I think it's the same with watches. Usually, someone will say "Nice watch" and move on after I say "thanks". If someone asks how much I paid for it I can tell they no nothing about watches or life because you never ask someone how much they paid for something.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I've never had someone be outright insulting. Most people are interested in what I know - they don't know anyone else who likes watches - which would be the same for me if I met someone with an "obscure" interest, at least to me, like frisbee golf.

One person simply remarked "well, you're wearing art" which didn't offend me, because it's generally true.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts