WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ha! $500! wow! if he got upset about dropping just that much on a watch he might not be able to handle this forum. But everyone has their vice! He is spending his money on something he cherishes somewhere in the budget.

I try not to discuss prices. Just refer to them as investments. And i've never lost on a watch (pre-owned) like i've lost on the stocks or other investments:)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Literally had my friend's ignorant friend, who knows nothing about watches, has an iq of 0, and has no class insult me and call me stupid for spending money on an expensive watch. (Not that expensive, $500, but it's expensive to him).

He knows nothing about watches.

What do you/what's your reaction when ignorant people who know nothing about watches decide to insult you bc of how much you paid for a watch?
Do you normally need to say anything to ignorant people with no class?

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Literally had my friend's ignorant friend, who knows nothing about watches, has an iq of 0, and has no class insult me and call me stupid for spending money on an expensive watch. (Not that expensive, $500, but it's expensive to him).
Depends on the tone.

I have had people i have barely met go "you are crazy for spending so much on ___" - but they werent being judgemental, it was just a colloquialism and no insult or offense was intended. If that was the tone then I'd ignore the slight lack of tact, just shrug and make a joke about being dropped on the head as a baby or something.

Otherwise, i'd just ignore him and not reply. Out of respect for the mutual friend, I'd avoid making the situation awkward.

If he was actually being antagonistic and kept going, and I was feeling particularly cranky, I'd say something obnoxiously dismissive like "maybe it is expensive for "some people" - for me, not so much" (to be clear: this has nothing to do with the value of the watch. I'd say that even if i had saved for 10 years and sold one of my children for medical research to fund the watch. The purpose is just to throw a dig back).

But it is weird. I've never had a friend of a friend be deliberately antagonistic. A few times, i have met people who are slightly condescending/obnoxious and i usually just ignore them.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I thought everyone's parents taught them about watches?

He probably looked like the messy Trivago Guy.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Assuming you care about that person, just tell him/her the truth. Say it is a bit of a hobby. Tell them how you got into it and why you like it. Explain that there are thousands of people like you that view watches as more than just utilitarian time keeping devices. That we appreciate and value horology, its history, and the many fine examples that exist at all price ranges. Its a hobby. If they don't get that, ask for their opinion and listen. Hey, maybe we are all wrong here. If you find it so, come and let us know.
;)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I dont really hang with with him.

My friend drags him along everywhere he goes and everytime I have the misfortune of being around him, he never misses an opportunity to try and insult me.

He has been this way since I met him.
Just guessing maybe the issue is not so much your watch but you. He may be jealous his friend has you for a friend and you are taking time the attention away from him for eg … Insulting you via your watch is just an outlet for his jealousy. It could be anything. If you are into sneakers, stamps, he will be making the relevant insults too.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well they have a point, its not a "smart" decision...

·
Registered
15,713 Posts
I can't buleeve it. Da hells da mattawitchoo people?
"Ignore" him? Let him be?
Everbody bein' so adult-like n shieh... :ROFLMAO:

What would I do?
Take the SOB right outside, and do this. See pic.
Teach him to insult my Precious again. (y):poop:

Also, roundhouse kick my friend for bringing along a low IQ friend into my space.
And then, myself go eat a bucket of rotting mackerel for having HIM as a friend, and starting this thread, thus spreading the miasma of low IQ all around. :coffee:

Photograph White Black Black-and-white Gesture

21 - 40 of 251 Posts