WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really love the simple design of the OP. What do ya'll think about all the dial variations of it. Personally, I seem to enjoy the Rhodium color scheme the most but I'd love to hear yall's opinions. And if you own an OP, why'd you choose that particular version of it? Looking forward to hearing yall's thoughts. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
I prefer the black and white stick dials of the OP39 that IMO have better dial symmetry than the other color variations.
Me too. I also like that they don't even have the little numbers on the chapter ring, just ticks and squares. I prefer the white, with black a close second. I don't like having different indices at 3-6-9 on the Rhodium, and the contrast between the hands and the dial is a bit less. Even so, I put the rhodium in third place, with blue fourth and red grape fifth among this year's dials.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I chose the OP for a number of reasons:

I wanted a white dial in my collection, something classic I could wear with anything

I didn’t want a date

I didn’t want a Mercedes hand

I wanted fully lumed indicies.

When Rolex released the new white and black Oysters I was very intrigued. It looked to be my perfect Rolex. Once I tried them in person and realized how light, thin, and comfortable they were, I was sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I really love the simple design of the OP. What do ya'll think about all the dial variations of it. Personally, I seem to enjoy the Rhodium color scheme the most but I'd love to hear yall's opinions. And if you own an OP, why'd you choose that particular version of it? Looking forward to hearing yall's thoughts. Cheers!
From the OP 39 I would appreciate if they extended the full stick dials to the other colours.
Additionally, adding the green olive green colored version of the OP 34 (with full lume and no orange pips) would create a very desirable piece.
Then, for me, between the blue dial or the olive dial would be difficult.

Regarding the OP36 they could get rid of the double batons

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,716 Posts
(from the "can't please everyone" shelf) -- I like the double batons, though. I think they'd help me read the time with less chance of mistakes, which I've done on watches that have identical hour markers.

I kinda wish that the blue 3-6-9 dial would be available on the OP39 size, but 36 is a great size for me, too.

And I'm glad that the OP39's options range from sporty-fun to clean-businesslike. I've suggested that this is Rolex's model range that's intended for buying an assortment of colors to keep in your drawer to match whatever you're wearing that day. Inexpensive, no date to set, not as clunky as a Sub or Daytona, and more colorful than an ExpI.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I love the blue OP39 (and bought one recently) with black a close second. But since am looking for an Explorer 1 I thought they were to close in style, so blue for me. I prefer the blue of the DJ 41, but hate the cyclops, so that limits my choices.

Love the OP 39, wish I’d bought it sooner.

·
Registered
998 Posts
+1 loose the double batons. Right now the white op39 is really going to be my next watch. That being said, if they removed the double baton and went with the white/black dial OP39's symmetric layout on ALL OP39 AND OP36's dials and colors I would be reconsidering ALL of them.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
(from the "can't please everyone" shelf) -- I like the double batons, though. I think they'd help me read the time with less chance of mistakes, which I've done on watches that have identical hour markers.

I kinda wish that the blue 3-6-9 dial would be available on the OP39 size, but 36 is a great size for me, too.

And I'm glad that the OP39's options range from sporty-fun to clean-businesslike. I've suggested that this is Rolex's model range that's intended for buying an assortment of colors to keep in your drawer to match whatever you're wearing that day. Inexpensive, no date to set, not as clunky as a Sub or Daytona, and more colorful than an ExpI.
I totally understand your point of view.
And the price difference between the different sizes is negligible so it comes to a size preference, thus the more choice the merrier. It was just my thought that they got the colours right, namely the silver version and then I personally do not appreciate the baton detail.

I atually believe that a OP36 with full stick dial would overlap with the DJ36 too much, there may not be much interest in that.
The same way that I do not think that we are going to get a DJ41 with olive dial (a combination available in WG).

I agree with the last paragraph and add that the OP would be “nice” also as an only watch (more than the Explorer I in my opinion)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

As good a summary as I've read. The lack of lume at 12 goes some way to orienting the dial in the dark, but all else considered it's better to have something you can see rather than relying on something you can't. I liked the OP39 when it came out, but not so much the 3-6-9 lume sticks and contrasting coloured bits. By the time the black-n-white came out, buying any kind of steel Rolex had become all but impossible, without paying the grey tax.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The OP is likely going to be my first Rolex because of its versatility. With that being said, I have narrowed it down to choosing the Grape dial or the Rhodium dial. It will be a matter of what is available first. I like the white dial but I already have an Breitling SOH with a white dial and I’d like a pop of color.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,716 Posts
I totally understand your point of view.
And the price difference between the different sizes is negligible so it comes to a size preference, thus the more choice the merrier. It was just my thought that they got the colours right, namely the silver version and then I personally do not appreciate the baton detail.

I atually believe that a OP36 with full stick dial would overlap with the DJ36 too much, there may not be much interest in that.
The same way that I do not think that we are going to get a DJ41 with olive dial (a combination available in WG).

I agree with the last paragraph and add that the OP would be “nice” also as an only watch (more than the Explorer I in my opinion)
Yup, it'd be a solid pick. My wife's only watch is a silver-dial OP handed down from her mom, and although she hardly wears it, it would be a fine watch in any instance.

I'm leaning towards an ExpI, the blue 3-6-9 OP36, or silver OP36 primarily because of the numerals and double batons; and blue would be versatile enough for me as most of the colors in my wardrobe are on the blue side.

I would also have liked the colorful OP39s to gain fully-lumed markers, but I can forgive them for now. I think white and black dials are always going to be more versatile anyway.

One thing I wish Rolex would do —.and this is really nitpicking here — is add a textured finish to the hands on black- or silver-dialed models. The last time I got to handle a rhodium OP39, I didn't like how both its fully-polished hands and non-lumed markers were hard to see at certain angles. Brands like GS and JLC add surface treatment to help with legibility at wider viewing angles (GS uses different surfaces based on the watch's dial). It's not a showstopper with me, so just count it as a "nice-to-have" feature.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, everybody, for replying! I really like the symmetry of the white and black OPs but it's a bit too bland for me. I think my ultimate combination would the same design style of the white and black op39s but with the Rhodium color scheme. Something about those colors really speak to me...

·
Registered
520 Posts
For me, I like the variety of different color dials on OP. Specially that champagne dial in 34mm is the winner. 36mm is good too but they need to remove the double baton markers at 3 and 9 and also remove 3, 6 and 9 on the blue dial. That kills the look on the OP. OP is designed for simplicity and it should portray that. I will not be surprised if GS will be releasing such cool colors in 36mm pretty soon to get back at Rolex.

·
Registered
565 Posts

I wanted a white dial in my collection, something classic I could wear with anything

I didn’t want a date

When Rolex released the new white and black Oysters I was very intrigued. It looked to be my perfect Rolex. Once I tried them in person and realized how light, thin, and comfortable they were, I was sold.

34mm or 36mm?

Either way it looks marvelous!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I enjoy most of the dial configurations. The two big exceptions are:

- Rhodium with blue markers
- Blue with green markers

Those two aren’t to my taste.

The one that I particularly enjoy is the champagne with blue markers. If I was to buy one it would be between this and the black or white models, in 34mm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I decided to buy an OP39, based on Rolex webpage I narrowed down my choice to black and dark rhodium. First I was able to try on the black - it was OK but I wanted to see the dark rhodium in real life before making the decision. The AD showed me the grape dial version as well - no. Couple of weeks later I had the opportunity to see the rhodium in real life - I realised it is the perfect version (to me). (I know several people preferring the white dial version - interestingly I've never ever considered it.)

·
Registered
324 Posts

I didn’t want a date

Best dial in my opinion!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts