1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hamilton American Classic Railroad
h40555781-b.jpg

imgrc0103071634.jpg

I am aware that the second Hamilton I posted has the more ideal dial.. The issue is that it's 42mm, while the first one I posted is 40mm. I have pretty small wrists so I am leaning towards the first watch.

All opinions welcome, thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice watches. I do like the blue tracks/numbers, for a little contrast. Silver hands on a silver dial, makes for a difficult read with a quick glance.
They both will probably wear with a similar wrist presence (large), regarding size on a smaller wrist. 36mm-38mm would be ideal. And I agree, the sub-dial (second pic) is the one that catches me.
g'luck

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I am aware that the second Hamilton I posted has the more ideal dial.. The issue is that it's 42mm, while the first one I posted is 40mm. I have pretty small wrists so I am leaning towards the first watch.

All opinions welcome, thanks.
I think both watches look great! 42mm is a bit on the large side for a dressy watch with a not too wide bezel, so I agree that the smaller one will be better.

On a side note, I love that type of folding clasp shown in the picture! This way to close the leather strap just looks clean and classy.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Nice watches. Like Hack mentioned, silver on silver doesn't make for the easiest read. Even in these pictures, I'm having difficulty picking up the hour hand. Overall, I'm just not feelin' this one. In the absence of contrast, I'm getting a somewhat "dull" vibe from it. It's almost like wherever it's placed, there's a shadow on it. There's no "pop" to it.

Of course, that's just my opinion of the aesthetics.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Hamilton Auto, good value particularly preowned.

Agree with other posters, silver on silver is hard to read in many conditions.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I was really unimpressed with them in the metal. I went in expecting to like the price point and I left thinking I'd never buy one.

·
Premium Member
66,648 Posts
I'd try them on to see if I could get away with wearing the second one. I hear what you're saying about size but I'd really like to see if I could wear the small seconds.

·
Registered
320 Posts
What about the metal put you off? The bracelet or the overall quality of the metal?
I think CastorTroy meant "in the metal" as in "in person." So not the metal quality in particular, but just that he was unimpressed when he got to hold it and try it on. I've never handled either of these particular models, but the few Hamiltons that I've handled do feel high quality, certainly nothing wrong with the SS itself.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
First one imho, but what about this, it's available 38mm or 40mm and leather strap.

IMG_0185.JPG

Pic borrowed

·
Registered
808 Posts
When in the Hamilton phase, I almost bought the version that is black and red. Now I have far fewer watches (10 total), but two are Ball watches. Ball watches seem much higher in quality for a bit more money. The one without the sub second had is 40mm if that's your concern.

hamilton-railroad-automatic-black-dial-black-leather-mens-watch-h40555731_1.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had a silver dial with silver hands on a stainless steel bracelet. Too much silver and a monochromatic look. Not for me, but YMMV.

·
Registered
Citizen Monocoque, perpetual date 2008
442 Posts
I think they look nice. Hamilton is a good brand. I have a Khaki Field that keeps excellent time. You have to choose what you are comfortable with and the narrower version is probably better suited to a narrow wrist.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts