WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've always loved watches. When I was younger I used to be into Seiko a lot. Had a few from the Sportura collection. Then recently I had the Samsung watch which I feel like won't be taken well by watch forums lol. I really just like it because I could take calls from it and didn't need to pull out my phone for every notification. Then I soon realized something was missing. It couldn't replace a real watch. That real feeling.

So I've recently been looking at some watches and had a few I was looking at for my first REAL watch.

1. Rolex Submariner (I'm not a huge fan of Rolex mainly because everyone and their grandmothers has one. Although it truly is a symbol)
2. Omega Speedmaster Dark Side Of The Moon
3. Omega Speedmaster (Standard)

I would say the Dark Side of The Moon really was the watch to kinda ignite that passion although the problem is it's well over double the price of the others.

I would appreciate your input.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would say Rolex because its a the GADA watch, but it sounds like you have some reservations about the brand. Otherwise, I would say Dark Side of the Moon if your wrist can handle the 44mm case. Can't go wrong with any of these on your list, honestly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well one of the main reasons I owned so many Seiko watches was because I owned them in middle school and high school when I didn't have much money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say Rolex because its a the GADA watch, but it sounds like you have some reservations about the brand. Otherwise, I would say Dark Side of the Moon if your wrist can handle the 44mm case. Can't go wrong with any of these on your list, honestly.
So I do love some of their watch designs, its just that so many people have Rolexes, it almost loses its appeal and uniqueness.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So I've always loved watches. When I was younger I used to be into Seiko a lot. Had a few from the Sportura collection. Then recently I had the Samsung watch which I feel like won't be taken well by watch forums lol. I really just like it because I could take calls from it and didn't need to pull out my phone for every notification. Then I soon realized something was missing. It couldn't replace a real watch. That real feeling.

So I've recently been looking at some watches and had a few I was looking at for my first REAL watch.

1. Rolex Submariner (I'm not a huge fan of Rolex mainly because everyone and their grandmothers has one. Although it truly is a symbol)

I would say the Dark Side of The Moon really was the watch to kinda ignite that passion although the problem is it's well over double the price of the others.

If money no object the rolex. All serious collectors should have one. But I agree that ihigh end seiko seems logical. If you don't have a woody for Rolex...breitling is beautiful.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So I do love some of their watch designs, its just that so many people have Rolexes, it almost loses its appeal and uniqueness.
Totally understand. If it's something that will bother you forever, then it won't make sense to shell out the money. Have you considered the Omega Seamaster 300M? Seems like a pretty solid alternative and much less common. Or a Zenith El Primero if you're looking for a chrono.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Take your time and do more research before you decide.

The hardest thing to do is define your own personal style. The fact that your first choice is an exceptionally expensive timepiece that is only on your list "because everyone and their grandmothers has (sic) one" is telling that you could afford to do some more reflection before making a decision. It's a big world with a whole lot more out there than Omegas and Rolexes (?Rollices?).

I'm sensitive to the fact that this might sound patronizing and might not sit well with you, but I promise that you'll be reminded of my comment every time that you look at a timepiece that you regret purchasing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Can’t really go wrong here, but have you tried any of them on in person?

Also, pretty sizable differences in price points between the Sub and the Speedy; is cost of any particular concern?

Lastly, while you can likely get a brand new Speedy almost immediately, purchasing a brand new Sub will very likely require some (or a lot) of patience.

I think these three considerations may help you in your decision making process, but if I’m being honest- the fact that you are even considering the Sub means you will very likely purchase one eventually. Might be worth it to just rip that bandaid off now...

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Personally, I would get the sub at MSRP. Grey market or even used prices are redonk right now. I truly wished I liked Speedmasters, they look good on other wrists, just not mine.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Well one of the main reasons I owned so many Seiko watches was because I owned them in middle school and high school when I didn't have much money.
Well,

I own Rolexes and Omegas as well as a handful of other luxury Swiss brands.

In the last few years, Seiko have caught my attention purely for the variety of offerings they have at various price points, from a few hundred dollars to multiples of thousands.

At the end of the day, listen to all opinions, but choose what your heart (and sometimes your head) tells you to choose.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Frederique Constant
Grand Seiko
Arnold & Son
Tudor
A.Lange & Sohne
Chopard

So many great luxuries. Look at Frederique Constant for the most options.

·
Registered
666 Posts
How is the DSOM double the price of a Sub? If you look hard enough you can find a new one for similar to the msrp of the Sub.

Sounds like that's the one you really want. Here's some inspiration ;)

View media item 15248775

·
Registered
254 Posts
Personally, in these uncertain times I wouldn't splurge so much on a watch. A little but not too much.

I'd caution on Rolex since they are still in a price bubble right now. Not a good use of hard-earned money.

Speedmaster is a good choice, though I wonder how you'll react to the manual wind.
Perhaps consider an Aqua Terra.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Man you skip all the BS and just go straight for the good stuff. I like it. I would definitely choose the Sub from that list, especially if it’ll be a daily. Runner up, GSOTM, although it’s not listed but I think it’s more unique than the DSOTM. You can’t go wrong with any of your choices really.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I say get on a list for the new Sub, and buy a DSOM for now. I agree with above, I think you can find one for about the same price as a sub, so if that's what you really want and the price is the only thing holding you back, just shop around.

If you get the call for a sub in like a few years (haha), you can decide between your DSOM and that at that time.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Very interesting you found Seiko watches so affordable when young 🙂

1 - 20 of 82 Posts