WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Do your research and buy a watch that means something to YOU. It could be the brand or history or uniqueness. It could be something not common but that rings true for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My first Luxury watch was a Pre Owned Credor followed up quickly with a Grand Seiko from the AD with a modest discount. Of the choice you mentioned, I would go Omega. It offers amazing value, and it's never mentioned in a Rap song.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I think the standard Omega Speedmaster moon watch would be the best choice. It has history, quality, cool factor, it's an Omega and it's the one watch I would take if I could only choose one. If you get the Speedmaster and decide not to collect; your all done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you can get it at MSRP or reasonable pre-owned price, get the Sub. Otherwise, I'd say get the Speedmaster Professional moon watch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What’s your wrist size, build, what’s your daily wear and how do you plan to wear the watch?

Additional information would allow us to assist you more.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
My first Luxury watch was a Pre Owned Credor followed up quickly with a Grand Seiko from the AD with a modest discount. Of the choice you mentioned, I would go Omega. It offers amazing value, and it's never mentioned in a Rap song.
That's cause Omega doesn't rhyme with anything.............o_O

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Grand Seiko for the win.

Reactions: Russ1965

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How is the DSOM double the price of a Sub? If you look hard enough you can find a new one for similar to the msrp of the Sub.

Sounds like that's the one you really want. Here's some inspiration ;)

View media item 15248775
I thought the DSOM is $12,000? Any ideas where I could get it for cheaper? I was thinking to essentially start with my first watch and purchase a few bands for it to make it flexible. Like a leather strap as well

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Very interesting you found Seiko watches so affordable when young 🙂
Yeah I mean the Sportura models weren't terribly expensive. I think the most I spent was 600. It was the SNA451. Although if someone has a solution for the arm hair pulling of steel bands, please let me know. It's hell

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just do your homework. And when you think you found the one, do more research on it. Consider what you will use the watch for the most? Don't ever limit yourself to just those brands. There are other equally and "better" brands out there as well. Research is the key.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Man you skip all the BS and just go straight for the good stuff. I like it. I would definitely choose the Sub from that list, especially if it’ll be a daily. Runner up, GSOTM, although it’s not listed but I think it’s more unique than the DSOTM. You can’t go wrong with any of your choices really.
So apparently from what everyone's saying is you can't walk into a store and buy a sub. Is it true of all subs or just the ones worth buying? I'm just assuming there's certain models that don't get much attention or aren't as pretty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What’s your wrist size, build, what’s your daily wear and how do you plan to wear the watch?

Additional information would allow us to assist you more.
I don't have a measuring tape on me at the moment but I have been able to pull off 46mm watches. Although I probably wouldn't wanna go with Breitling style watches that kinda look like wall clocks. I'm talking about some of the white face plate models I've seen

·
Banned
1 Posts
I think the way to go is the standard Omega Speedmaster with a hesalite crystal. I would suggest finding one online from the 70's through the 90's. You'll get a watch that's older, more beautiful, with a rarer movement, and perhaps most importantly - for less than the MSRP of a new Speedmaster. You can find a really nice ref. 145.022 for around $4,000.

·
Premium Member
21,510 Posts
I would get either the Rolex Submariner or the regular Omega Speedmaster Professional. I don't actually think the Submariner (No Date) is all that common.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
I thought the DSOM is $12,000? Any ideas where I could get it for cheaper? I was thinking to essentially start with my first watch and purchase a few bands for it to make it flexible. Like a leather strap as well
You can find them on the grey market for around $9,000 or used for around $7,000.

People are recommending the regular Speedy pro but I don't see why you'd choose the scratch prone and frankly less technically interesting watch if you can swing the DSOTM.

·
Premium Member
21,510 Posts
You can find them on the grey market for around $9,000 or used for around $7,000.

People are recommending the regular Speedy pro but I don't see why you'd choose the scratch prone and frankly less technically interesting watch if you can swing the DSOTM.
Well, I think most of us are suggesting the regular Speedy because of the heritage, and the wearability. If scratches are a concern, there is always the sapphire sandwich version. I found the DSOTM to be much too thick for comfort.

·
Registered
657 Posts
1. Rolex Submariner (I'm not a huge fan of Rolex mainly because everyone and their grandmothers has one.)
So why is it even on your list? It looks to me like you’ve made a shortlist from other people’s favourites.

Like others before me I suggest you take your time and cast your net wider, there are so many nice watches out there that don’t get much (or even any) coverage here. It took me three years to find my ‘first’, fortunately long before I discovered WUS because had I asked for opinions here about all my prospects I’d have been a very confused puppy.

·
Banned
2 Posts
If the Dark Side of the Moon is the one you truly want, then I'd say get that one. Just wait a bit longer and save up for it. If you don't want to spend that much, then I would definitely go for the standard Speedmaster. I have one and it's the perfect watch.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts