WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
So I do love some of their watch designs, its just that so many people have Rolexes, it almost loses its appeal and uniqueness.
Interestingly enough, I have the same observation about Omega. They're everywhere. Everyone I see "in the wild" who are wearing a higher end mechanical watch is wearing an Omega, it seems. And on these forums, every other post seems to be about either Omega AT or the Moonwatch :I (that does kind of speak well of Omega quality and bang for the buck, though).

·
Registered
310 Posts
So I've always loved watches. When I was younger I used to be into Seiko a lot. Had a few from the Sportura collection. Then recently I had the Samsung watch which I feel like won't be taken well by watch forums lol. I really just like it because I could take calls from it and didn't need to pull out my phone for every notification. Then I soon realized something was missing. It couldn't replace a real watch. That real feeling.

So I've recently been looking at some watches and had a few I was looking at for my first REAL watch.

1. Rolex Submariner (I'm not a huge fan of Rolex mainly because everyone and their grandmothers has one. Although it truly is a symbol)
2. Omega Speedmaster Dark Side Of The Moon
3. Omega Speedmaster (Standard)

I would say the Dark Side of The Moon really was the watch to kinda ignite that passion although the problem is it's well over double the price of the others.

I would appreciate your input.
Grand Seiko [mechanical only, no spring drive or Quartz]

Omega [man on the moon]
Omega [Aqua Terra]

JLC Polaris

Bvlgari Octo

·
Registered
542 Posts
So I've always loved watches. When I was younger I used to be into Seiko a lot. Had a few from the Sportura collection. Then recently I had the Samsung watch which I feel like won't be taken well by watch forums lol. I really just like it because I could take calls from it and didn't need to pull out my phone for every notification. Then I soon realized something was missing. It couldn't replace a real watch. That real feeling.

So I've recently been looking at some watches and had a few I was looking at for my first REAL watch.

1. Rolex Submariner (I'm not a huge fan of Rolex mainly because everyone and their grandmothers has one. Although it truly is a symbol)
2. Omega Speedmaster Dark Side Of The Moon
3. Omega Speedmaster (Standard)

I would say the Dark Side of The Moon really was the watch to kinda ignite that passion although the problem is it's well over double the price of the others.

I would appreciate your input.
Pop in there and say you want a Patek Nautilus.

Then say nothing and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Well one of the main reasons I owned so many Seiko watches was because I owned them in middle school and high school when I didn't have much money.
now that the inverse is true (that is, you now have much money), time and apt to upgrade to Grand Seiko and/or Credor.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I question the premise that “everyone and their grandmother” already has a Rolex.

Sure, that seems to be the case in certain watch communities but I only know a single person personally that owns a Rolex Submariner.

Wristwatches are outmoded as it is. If you don’t want a Rolex, that’s absolutely fair but I don’t think it ought to be because it’s too “popular” in 2020.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Solid list. All highly regarded and excellent watches, although sub is tricky to get at a realistic price at the moment.

You didn’t mention whether you have done much “in the metal” browsing in brick and mortar dealers.

As others have said, make sure you’ve taken your time to do that before spending a considerable amount of money on a watch. On more than one occasion I have ended up leaving a dealer with an entirely unexpected purchase after realising something I liked the idea of didn’t ultimately sit that well on my wrist when I tried it on, while something I hadn’t even thought about actually ended up being the right piece - I’d have never known it until I tried it on but once I did, it just immediately felt right.

No substitute for handling them in the metal.

There are a lot of very nice watches for the kind of money you have to play with so take your time. Go with your gut on this and have some fun browsing in dealers!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Some great options listed here! Can't go wrong with a Rolex or Omega. To echo others, I question the "commonality" of Rolexes. If you like it, get it. Who cares what others think.

Just take your time, and read, read, read. Then visit, visit, and visit ADs.

Stay away from Grand Seiko though. The watches look nice, but the movements are garbage. No sense in paying thousands for something that is 90% indistinguishable from a Presage.

Reactions: eddieo396

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Some great options listed here! Can't go wrong with a Rolex or Omega. To echo others, I question the "commonality" of Rolexes. If you like it, get it. Who cares what others think.

Stay away from Grand Seiko though. The watches look nice, but the movements are garbage. No sense in paying thousands for something that is 90% indistinguishable from a Presage.
Why buy a Rolex that's 90% indistinguishable from a Parnis?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Why buy a Rolex that's 90% indistinguishable from a Parnis?
Movement? Seriously?

Edit:

To add, I have never handled a Parnis. I'm sure it is cheap Chinese junk. The bezel action is probably dissimilar (I'm being generous), the bracelet is probably not that great (generous again), does it have an adjustable clasp, how is the water resistance, etc?

Reactions: eddieo396

·
Registered
498 Posts

THe Grand Seiko movement is garbage you say ..hmm you better be prepared to do battle with Seiko lovers haha

·
Registered
498 Posts
I noticed you are from the USA I think you should consider researching RGM ...they are small unique independent and their IN HOUSE movement is mADE IN the good old USA ...

Reactions: rfortson

·
Registered
656 Posts
I thought the DSOM is $12,000? Any ideas where I could get it for cheaper? I was thinking to essentially start with my first watch and purchase a few bands for it to make it flexible. Like a leather strap as well
It's not hard to get a big discount on this model. I've seen it listed on this (and other) forums brand new for ~$8000-8500, and used like new for ~$7000 or so.
For the record I got mine from a trusted seller here for $7650 BNIB, but that was in 2018. Prices have gone up slightly since then.

People are recommending the regular Speedy pro but I don't see why you'd choose the scratch prone and frankly less technically interesting watch if you can swing the DSOTM.
+1 on this, after almost 2.5 years mine still looks like new with basically no signs of wear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tissot Gentleman Powermatic - my new discovery. Trying to find it around me.
The Tissot Gentleman Powrmatic Silicium is a great everyday watch and probably the most bang for your bucks.

I agree with what most posters said and choose what is best for you. I have always bought my watches based on my own preference (am just new to this forum) and I believe you should do so yourself. I look at reviews to know more about a watch, but still make decisions based on what I prefer.

At the end of the day, you will be the one who will be using that watch everyday. One thing though, don't limit your choices based on a brand. The Rolex Sub and Omega speedmaster are good watches with their own pros and cons (there are no perfect watches). Basically you can't go wrong with any of them. But you should also consider other brands. There are many of them that's why asking advice from the forum will give you a lot of varied response.

By the way, what use case will you be using the watch? From your choices it seems like it's a tool watch. Something you can use on a daily basis?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko, JLC.......monkey throwing the dart and picking stocks to buy story. These are all popular for a reason, so you can not really do terribly wrong with the popular models from them.
If I had that kind of money for a watch, I would look at Credor, Dornbluth, Speake-Marin, Kudoke, Sarpaneva, Hentschel. These are lesser known and more unique watches, and IMO more of conversation starters than a Rolex or Omega. Given that you have seen the Seikos and Rolexes in your past years, try something different now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Put them all on your wrist and choose the one that makes your sticker peck up. Rolex holds no fascination for me, so I’d choose an Omega. However, I’m also the guy who prefers his two Oris Aquis to almost anything else.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts