WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Comments like this are the reason NOT to own a Rolex.
I take that back. You are right. However if your prospective is new on the scene and your interest is the greater time keeping hobby then excluding a major player in the luxury market seems arbitrary and myopic unless of course you just don't have interest in a brand at all or don't like their practices. (Me) I have one. All I need.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ll second (third?) the suggestion to buy the brand/watch that speaks most to you. It’s an intangible quality that is not reflected in the specs but all I can say is you’ll know it when you see it. Also, try to get it on your wrist before you buy.

The watches I would look at would be Omegas, Grand Seikos and the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So I've always loved watches. When I was younger I used to be into Seiko a lot. Had a few from the Sportura collection. Then recently I had the Samsung watch which I feel like won't be taken well by watch forums lol. I really just like it because I could take calls from it and didn't need to pull out my phone for every notification. Then I soon realized something was missing. It couldn't replace a real watch. That real feeling.

So I've recently been looking at some watches and had a few I was looking at for my first REAL watch.

1. Rolex Submariner (I'm not a huge fan of Rolex mainly because everyone and their grandmothers has one. Although it truly is a symbol)
2. Omega Speedmaster Dark Side Of The Moon
3. Omega Speedmaster (Standard)

I would say the Dark Side of The Moon really was the watch to kinda ignite that passion although the problem is it's well over double the price of the others.

I would appreciate your input.
Omega Speedmaster Professional! This is always a great choice. Easily accessible (new or used). Anyone into watches should own one at some point in their life. Great history.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here's my opinion:

1. If Rolex doesn't float your boat...don't get it just because it's recognizable and everyone will say "oh, nice Rolex"...you're the one who has to wear it
2. If the Speedy DSOTM is really what you've been looking at, and you have the funds for it, that's the one to get

When you're sitting at home on the couch watching TV, nobody cares what watch you're wearing, except for you, so get the one you like for you.

Anyone who's impressed by you simply because of the watch you have on your wrist is not someone that really values you.

My vote goes to the Speedy DSOTM - Apollo 8 flavor ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Movement? Seriously?

Edit:

To add, I have never handled a Parnis. I'm sure it is cheap Chinese junk. The bezel action is probably dissimilar (I'm being generous), the bracelet is probably not that great (generous again), does it have an adjustable clasp, how is the water resistance, etc?
Grand Seiko all day long compared to Rolex. GS actually make innovative movements. Rolex is almost purely a marketing driven brand. There's nothing wrong with the watches but trying to talk down GS is pretty weak.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't buy a Rolex if you "aren't a huge fan" just because you think you are supposed to buy one. And since the sub is pretty hard to get, you might as well look elsewhere.

If you want a dive watch that isn't a Rolex, check out the Tudor BB58 or even the Seiko SPB143, SPB147 or SPB149. All very nice divers and you'll save a ton of money over the Sub, or either of the Omegas.

If you want to jump in the deep end though, get one of the Omegas—the choice is definitely up to you. Personally, from your list, I'd go with the classic Speedmaster Moonwatch. Another thought, if you want a more versatile watch that can offer a lot more water resistance, a date and sapphire crystal, check out an Aqua Terra.

But skip the Sub if you don't really want a Rolex. No one should spend $8000+ on a watch that they don't love. Unless, of course, your financial situation has improved SO much since those Seiko days that you've got $8k lying around in your change jar—then sure, why not?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Grand Seiko all day long compared to Rolex. GS actually make innovative movements. Rolex is almost purely a marketing driven brand. There's nothing wrong with the watches but trying to talk down GS is pretty weak.
I owned a GS. The movement was so problematic that GS refunded me the full purchase price after multiple failed repair attempts.

After sales support is a huge deal, and Seiko couldn't nail it. At least I was made whole by a refund.

Anecdotal? Yes. "Weak" as you say? Not at all.

GS is a slighter fancier Presage (which are OUTSTANDING watches for the price). For the money of GS, there are much better options.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I am not surprised the Sub and Speedmaster are at the top of most lists. They are probably the most marketed and best known watches. The luxury sector is full of so many other brands for similar prices, not saying anything is better than or equal to, just that the options are almost unlimited if you take the time to look. The OP question, "What do you suggest for my first luxury watch" should illicit more suggestions than just a few names, especially since not much criteria was given. It really comes down to a watch that attracts you and you cant stop thinking about, if you are looking purely at a watch for the watches sake. Add status, history, and brand recognition and the list gets shorter and shorter. Good luck!

I like the UN Maxi Marine diver if you want to get funky, but a Seamaster is a solid everyday choice.

·
Premium Member
62,979 Posts
To me the Sub is the watch to rule all others but you don’t seem as mad as I am over them so one of the Speedys would probably be a better buy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Absolutely love starting with Omega's as a first luxury brand and watch. The Dark side of the Moon is one of my favorite I don't think you can go wrong there and for the right price of course.

·
Registered
30,001 Posts
I suggest you get the one YOU like best. Lots of great suggestions here to choose from.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
So essentially I can only get a cheaper than MSRP price from the gray market? Any sources that are authentic and have good pricing? I definitely will only be purchasing one a use it for a few years before I consider buying another one. Since they're not exactly cheap, can't be buying one very often.

I prefer looking for brand new watches. If any of the gray market sites sell that. Ran across a few but seemed to be pre-owned watches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I guess something I also want from the watch is the ability to purchase multiple bands. Like a steel, leather, etc so I can have one watch work for multiple occassions from formal to informal. I feel like those brands can do that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So essentially I can only get a cheaper than MSRP price from the gray market? Any sources that are authentic and have good pricing? I definitely will only be purchasing one a use it for a few years before I consider buying another one. Since they're not exactly cheap, can't be buying one very often.

I prefer looking for brand new watches. If any of the gray market sites sell that. Ran across a few but seemed to be pre-owned watches.
Grey market watch are authentic and can give you big discounts.

Since you mentioned you will only be buying once and using it as your main watch for a number of years, all the more that it should be getting a watch you won't regret buying. That's why many are suggesting that you look at other brands as well and don't limit your choices to these two.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is what I do:

1) Browse through as many major brand websites as you can looking through all the different models (in your price range, forget the grand masterpiece specialties)

2) See what designs and functions stand out to you and make a list

3) Read as much as you can on each model on your list including articles, reviews and posts. This is important - profit from the knowledge you can gain for your decision making

4) After you've cut down on your list, go try them on in person, sleep on it for a while, then make a decision

5) Post your new purchase here so we can all silently judge....I mean rejoice

61 - 80 of 82 Posts