WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what do you think. Are they good??

They look good and they are cheap. You can find a lot of them on eBay. I want to buy one so I need an opinion!

Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
eBay brands like Curren, KaKa, Chenxi, etc are really cheap. There is nothing wrong with them - I have a Kaka and 2 Chenxi's but they are cheap and poorly plated base metal. After a while sweat and water wears the plating off and soon the watch looks bad. And the bands and bracelets are cheap, uncomfortable and prone to damage.

If you like the style, buy it. Just realize your not getting a watch that is built to last. I bought mine because they are cheap 'homages' to styles of watches I was currently thinking about. Buying and wearing them helped me make a decision on whether or not to buy them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
eBay brands like Curren, KaKa, Chenxi, etc are really cheap. There is nothing wrong with them - I have a Kaka and 2 Chenxi's but they are cheap and poorly plated base metal. After a while sweat and water wears the plating off and soon the watch looks bad. And the bands and bracelets are cheap, uncomfortable and prone to damage.

If you like the style, buy it. Just realize your not getting a watch that is built to last. I bought mine because they are cheap 'homages' to styles of watches I was currently thinking about. Buying and wearing them helped me make a decision on whether or not to buy them.
Very true. I have a Curren that I just got as xmas present. After a few hours of use, I notice I lost a decoration screw from above the hourglass (leaving a very visible hole behind that will certainly collect dust) and some tiny bents and scratches on the metal-looking circle around the hourglass...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a Curren watch for no other reason than because I have one suit that none of my other watches really went with properly. So I bought a Curren from a certain Chinese website for under $10 which matches the suit perfectly.

It is definitely better than you would expect for the price - I doubt anyone would peg it for a $9 watch when I wear it with my suit. But that said it is not going to fool anyone who looks at it closely. The prime irritant for me is the lack of precision with the crystal... something about it just looks off. Even the cheapest Seiko has an absolutely precision-engineered crystal but the Curren doesn't have that.

But for the money, Curren certainly isn't a bad purchase. If it lasts two years with infrequent use (maybe 1x a week max) I'd say that I got my money's worth.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
got as xmas present
Who was the ar$e that gave you that as as Xmas pressie ? :O And not to say people in DK are poor and can't afford at least a Lorus.

All these Chinese , 2 for 5$ brands are simply a waste of that little money you pay for them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had one that I bought for about 5bucks for my trip to Cuba didn't feel like taking a chance and losing my watch. I can't say much about it the quailty is about the same as 20$ walmart watch is you do buy one don't expect much from it. If you like the style of it go for it but don't expect it to be anything out of this world

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
Support your local paramedics...Run with scissors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good watches .I bought a square "gold " one as it`s in a 50s Gubelin style. I have a Gubelin clock so it is a distant relative .The Watch has lost half a second in the last month compared with the Atomic Time. Pretty good if you want to know the time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Appreciate if someone who owns a curren can leave a couple of pics on the thread Never heard of it want to check them out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
John111 Google Curren watches --Images. They make masses of different designs . They shoot themselves in the foot by making some watches with imitation dials inset in the face. That is just silly. A big black mark for that . Make sure all the dials work .They do tell you when they are just for appearance. People will laugh at you for that .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Curren watches should be used as a start up watch since they are cheap for every day use that even if it breaks you won't feel bad.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here are pics with two Currens. I ordered them online on a whim for about 4,5 € apiece, got both black and white to meet minimum order requirement. Date dial is prop on these ones, it's just for the show but of course I only learned this after receiving the watch. On black it's more discreet, I can live with that. Watches do feel nice and heavy, not sure about the longevity. They're fairly accurate so far, it's been a month and they haven't lost or gained a minute yet, I haven't checked the seconds.
The reason I bought them in the first place was to try on a black watch which I've never had before. I kind of like the black one, probably going to sell the white one on flea market for 5 € and make 50 cents profit or something.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Pink

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Square Curren watch in a gold colour has gold markers and gold hands. It`s very similar to the Gubelin 50 s watch but it was hard to tell the time unless I was in good light. I used some red lacquer paint and a very thin needle to paint the hands red , same colour as the second hand. It`s perfect now. I can prop it up 15 feet away and still read the time. The colour matches very well . I had to struggle to get at the hands as I don`t know the trick to take out the works . The date works too . A very accurate watch .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Old thread, but I just bought some of them. Again

I once had the funny idea to order several super cheap watches from a retailer. One was a current. I kinda liked it. Looked nice and comfy. Also seems more or lees accurate.
I how ever give it a friends who never wore a watch and wanted to get used to them.

Now I orderd some more of their model 8182A
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

You might notice the detail.
And if you are a group of 7 doing the watch "the same way" this might be fun to go out like this.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I have one Curren, and it's garbage. Bad finish overall. The crown's finish was destroyed after 2 days. The crown is copper, so it looks OK if it's freshly polished. There are tool marks where the "alloy"(zinc?) case was taken out of the casting. They just sprayed the finish over the rough scrapes between the lugs. Did I mention there's no lume, at all?

It keeps time OK because it's quartz, but these are 1 month disposable watches. They make Q&Q watches look good. Also, most of the Curren watches feature fake subdials that do nothing.

I bought mine for $4.25, and I regret wasting the money.

The Dream
Watch Analog watch Strap Watch accessory Fashion accessory

The Reality The watch is less than 2 weeks old.
Metal Brass

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got some more and I still think it OK.
Its a perfect watch for those who want to start wearing one again and don't want to spend too much money.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts