WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I like Nixon, especially some of the older ones I've found at great prices, second hand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
At full retail, I would have a hard time justifying buying a Nixon. But you can find some amazing deals for their older models or ones that have weird straps or dials. Often a simple strap change will let you cut the cost to well under $100. In that price range I think they're hard to beat. They almost always have a 100m water resistance, which puts them way above most cheap Chinese watches, and even most Timexes. I picked this one up brand new on ebay for $26 bucks awhile back and really like it. It was an older model, with an interesting dial design that apparently didn't sell well. But at that price they sold out fast and now are listing for much higher.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm not Nixon's target market, but I own a Ranger with a countdown bezel, and I find the c-down bezel incredibly useful. I think Nixon is one of the few affordable watches to offer a quality countdown bezel. It dials CCW only and has half-minute increments.

So I find myself wearing the Nixon more often than I'd expect--whenever I need to time something...student speeches, my own presentations, the meal I'm cooking, the time the epoxy needs to dry, when I need to be at the train station...on and on.

Paid $60 for mine, new. Similar to Drobyo's above ^ only with a c-down bezel.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I once owned a Nixon 51-30 (pre-wis) and surprisingly the quality was better than my orange monster.

Bracelet had less slope, bezel was tighter and slightly better finished.

As others have mentioned, don't pay full retail for one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was a snowboarder long before I got into watches so I have a couple of Nixon's in my collection. The one on the left ('Player' - terrible name I know) was the first watch I bought myself when I was much younger. I loved the 'wood grain' dial so much that I bought it again when it was stolen off me. It has sentimental value and loads of memories. The one on the right ('mayor') is also precious as it was my wife's wedding present to me . While they don't get a lot of wrist time I still enjoy wearing them from time to time and their value to me is far beyond their monetary price tag or their internal workings.

I know fashion watches get a bad wrap here but the build quality of these are actually quite good. The bracelets are far superior to my Seiko 5 SNZH53 (which was swapped out immediately). In fact, they are the only bracelet watches I have at the moment so I enjoy their heft as a change.

That said the Seiko Snzh53 is a far better watch for any watch lover and can be had for about the same money.

I still find myself admiring some of Nixon's designs, though many are garish and most are derivative. If you find a style you like and can get past the fact that the internal is basically empty with a tiny (and no doubt cheap) quartz movement, then I think they can be a surprisingly enjoyable part of an affordable watch collection.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Update on my Nixon Ranger 44mm Countdown Bezel - it's growing on me, largely because I changed out the strap. The stock Nixon "leather" strap could be confused for cardboard. By adding a decent strap this Nixon is climbing in the daily wear rotation. It's "reasonably" thin at 11.7mm so doesn't interfere with cuffs too much. Accuracy appears to be about +0.5 second per day, timed over a week. Not worried to bang it around. Lume is remarkably good; an easy to read watch at night. After owning it for several months it is rising in my estimation, while most watches fall after I live with them awhile. (Maybe that's becaue my expectations for the Nixon were lower than they should have been.)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hugo Boss got me started on watches a few years ago. The orange faces caught my eye in a shopping mall, and I've always had my eye out for orange details ever since. So they have a quasi-sentimental value to me, though I doubt I'd ever buy another one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.