WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a good friend of mine got a nixon 51-30 PU black dial/black strap for his birthday earlier this year. he absolutely loves it, and he's got me considering nixons. i have my eye on the 51-30 PU mismatch (pic below), but i don't know much about it. what are your thoughts? and, if i do pull the trigger on it, is there anywhere i can get it below retail price?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've seen some negatives on Nixon's here . However, I personally have a Sky Plaid Banks and i love it. The watch gets a lot of attention and the fit and finish is on par with most of my other watches. The 51-30 is a sweet watch with a swiss movement, but it is HUGE. Nixon's rarely go for below retail, especially the newer models and colors. They come up occasionally on whiskeymiltia.com, but I've never seen a 51-30.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Nixons are just overpriced fashion watches. There are much better timepieces for the money, especially if you are interested in automatic watches. As I understand, these watches do not come cheap. However, this is just my own opinion, I cannot force my values upon you.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Have you tried the search function?

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,033 Posts
I've handled some Nixons and I'll happily say they seem to be a very decent quality fashion brand with a top-notch design team (and great sense of design humour). I've even thought about buying one or two.

Buy what you like! There's nothing wrong with buying fun watches.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, they've definitely got some wild looking watches. i'm not big into the modern watches, but i do like some of their other stuff. i just don't know if i like them $300 worth...

·
Registered
319 Posts
they're more of a fashion watch so watch snobs hate them

some nice looking designs, though you could probably get more out of your money from other companies

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I dig their designs, and they're very solidly built, but they're just so damn expensive.

Vestal is another brand that has a lot of designs I like, but their pricing strategy is pretty similar. I can't vouch for Vestals personally, though. I own 2 Nixons but no Vestals (yet. I've had a crush on the Random Hero for a while).

·
Registered
103 Posts
When i turned 19, i got my first real job and got myself my first watch. At the time, this was what i thought a good quality watch. Unfortunatly, for the price (270USD at the time), its really too expensive. Its really a fashion watch, nothing more. Paying that price for japanese quartz is pretty bad. For 120$ it would be a good deal. at that price, you can buy yourself Swiss Army Victorinox Swiss Quartz movement on princetonwatch.

I agree that the 51-30 looks nice, its chunky and i love the look, but for the price of it, i would go for an automatic for sure. (look at Orient watches, they have really nice quality for the price, in-house japanese automatic movement.) Or else, bulova is also making nice automatic movement. Im still waiting for my first Alpha Seamaster Pro 300m homage but from what ive heard, alpha watch could be really nice introduction to automatic watch for a real small price.

Movement: 3 Hand Japanese Quartz.
Case: Custom 100 Meter Stainless Steel With Hardened Mineral Crystal, Triple Gasket Crown And Real Diamond.
Band: Custom Solid Stainless Steel With Two Tone Finish And Double Locking Clasp.

First of all, they state "real diamond". Why not puting a fake one and have sapphire glass instead!!! Mine has a huge scratch on it and got sent back 2 times, as the gold plating was coming off easily. No more gold watch for me unless its triple plated. Gold watch under 2000$ + will simply not last.

I liked the simple look of the watch. Case back is only 4 screws, im not sure about real 10ATM wr. The locking clasp is a pain too, its so hard to open it, i need to use my credit card sometimes to open it without tearing off my nails.

·
Registered
156 Posts
this forum is very anti-fashion watch for whatever reason. alot of people are wearing the same watches in the WRUW threads, and i'm guessing it's because of the group mentality here.

anyways, browsing through Nixon's website they have some nice designs, though some are quite expensive (500.00+). as long as the design is nice and the movement isn't a pos then go for it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
this forum is very anti-fashion watch for whatever reason. alot of people are wearing the same watches in the WRUW threads, and i'm guessing it's because of the group mentality here.

anyways, browsing through Nixon's website they have some nice designs, though some are quite expensive (500.00+). as long as the design is nice and the movement isn't a pos then go for it.
well it depends on what you really want. If you are looking for a piece of jewelry, that looks nice, its enough. I think the reason people on these forums doesnt like fashion watch, is because watches are not only fashion elements, they are craftsmanship masterpieces, piece of artwork, and also, not to forget, a tool to give you time. I think what fashion watches are missing is the cool technical aspect of a watch. When i look at my newly purchased Orient Automatic, i feel that this is purely awesome. Look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwMr6wpQD-w

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've handled some Nixons and I'll happily say they seem to be a very decent quality fashion brand with a top-notch design team (and great sense of design humour). I've even thought about buying one or two.

Buy what you like! There's nothing wrong with buying fun watches.
x2 Agreed completly! The watch you posted looks.. fun, if a bit toyish!
they're more of a fashion watch so watch snobs hate them

some nice looking designs, though you could probably get more out of your money from other companies
Watch snobs are generally very boring, closed minded people. who cares what they think:-d

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
i've handled some nixons and i'll happily say they seem to be a very decent quality fashion brand with a top-notch design team (and great sense of design humour). I've even thought about buying one or two.

buy what you like! There's nothing wrong with buying fun watches.
+1000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love Nixon watches. See for me, watches ARE a fashion accessory. I'm never going to use it as a tool to actually tell what time it is. I have my iPhone for that.
But I'm 26. I need to wear watches that women will notice. Most girls can't tell the difference between a Rolex and a Timex.

Nixon's style is awesome for my age bracket. And that's fine. Because, no, I don't think the all white Ceramic player will look good on a 60 year old. In fact, I doubt I'll still be wearing them when I'm in my 60s (if I'm lucky enough to make it to that age)...

IMO, Nixon's 'look' more expensive than they are and are modern clique / flashy to a certain extent.

They get attention / compliments from the ladies at the bar (who don't know the difference between a Rolex or Timex).

They don't look busy or grotty with gold and white. You can get a model that matches your clothing and style.

AND...eventually... if you play your cards right... you can get her to move her bum in circles around your crotch region (that's modern dancing to you older folks). It's a win-win situation for me.

In my mind, certain Nixon models ARE pieces of art (like the Player or the Banks). I don't care about the moving parts or the intrigue delicacy or the accuracy blah blah blah... I adjust it twice a year anyhow for daylight savings. It's accurate enough to hold its time for 6 months.

I bought the Capital earlier this year, and I just ordered 'The Banks' in gunmetal / red. It's going to be here on Jan 3rd and I'm super stoked to get it and wear it out.

Just wanted to give the point of view of a younger single 20-something.

I say go for it. You'll be happy. Looks like a fun "timepiece" lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
My bro has one, but it is not working anymore. It is 6 years old, always had a problem with water resistant, i guess it worked for 3 years, now it is on the shelf. I would defenetly not recommend a Nixon watch. It is kind of a skateboarders fashion watch. I used to skate, so I know how prestigios it was.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
well, I started with the fashion watch (K Cole) - but then I found automatic mechanical watches more interesting, maybe because I am an engineer, maybe because of historical connections, maybe they are out of mainstream today - does it make me a snob? Fashion watches look interesting to me as art pieces, like jewelry, which is fine, if someone is more into that. But then it's more a matter of taste - which is rather difficult to talk about, perhaps the reason why people here are more into mechanical watches

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am somewhat new to the watch game. However, I have 2 Nixon Watches. I have a Newton all black and I wear it every day. It cost me $100 and it's my favorite watch I own. I also have an R1G1 in gold and brown, this being the only brown and gold I own is reserved for the days I wear matching colors. But I do agree that these watches are more for fashion than (from a collector standpoint) A GREAT WATCH. I also agree in buying what you like and wearing it proud! That is why I proudly wear my $100 Nixon Newton almost daily!

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I have a few of them, bought below retail from places like Overstock and others. They are (at retail) overpriced. I tend to stay "behind the curve" to get a better deal on one I like (same for Mondaine). If you like them, buy them, just try to shop around a bit......They're no worse than the sea of other Chinese-produced watches (especially cases) that are readily available.

Josh

1 - 20 of 29 Posts