WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Patek just opened an official Instagram page which I am excited about, but their bio stood out to me: "Welcome to the world of the last independent, family-owned Genevan watch manufacturer". After I read this, I thought to myself that this was quite a statement, given that the first thing to pop off my head was F.P. Journe, which is an independent watch manufacture also situated in Geneva.

Am I wrong or misinterpreting what they're saying? Maybe Stern was born and raised in Geneva vs. Journe? I highly doubt that Patek Philippe has never heard of F.P. Journe or is unaware of its existence...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
^
Patek should’ve heard of F-P Journe, he worked for them!
I really wouldn’t lose any sleep over it — the Swiss watch industry is renowned for their ineptitude at providing factually correct information.
That said, maybe Journe isn’t wholly owned by himself, but has a few investors backing him.
Again, nothing worth getting preoccupied over.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see the advantage of IG for enthusiasts. There is no dialogue, just another platform for push-marketing.
I like it for some independents because they provide very highly detailed macroshots showing off their level of finish. For ex some of Smith's photos are gold.. H. Moser as well.

·
Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Maybe FP Journe being just one man means they don't consider it "family-owned"

Reactions: mpalmer

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe FP Journe being just one man means they don't consider it "family-owned"
Perhaps. But I visited the LA boutique and talked to Laurent, his brother (NOT Laurent Ferrier) who runs the boutique there along with his wife and they seemed very involved in the company. From our conversation it seemed like he was even a part of the design process in making the Chronometre Souverain, which was actually a pretty delightful story...

·
Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Perhaps. But I visited the LA boutique and talked to Laurent, his brother (NOT Laurent Ferrier) who runs the boutique there along with his wife and they seemed very involved in the company. From our conversation it seemed like he was even a part of the design process in making the Chronometre Souverain, which was actually a pretty delightful story...
I could see Patek defining "family owned" as requiring multiple generations... you know, the whole "hand it down to the next generation" thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts