WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about how the name of a brand can make or break a watch. So I decided to post a thread to see what you all think about this subject. Specifically, I'm talking about divers, and I'd like to give my take on several of the brand names out there.

Here goes, remember, this is just a personal opinion and very, very subjective. The way I see these names has a lot to do with my past experiences, so obviously other persons will see these brands in another light.

Rolex: to me it's a bling name, the first thing I think is: expensive, it has more to do with the huge amount of gold with encrusted diamonds watches that I've seen in my life, and less with the watch quality itself. If someone asked me the name of a luxury brand, that would be the first on my mind.

Seiko: it's a worker brand, the name in itself means nothing to me, but my associations with the brand are good value and quality, it's the kind of watch you use everyday.

J. Springs: I chose this one because it's a clear example of how a bad name can break a brand- what where they thinking?

Zinex: This is a really cool name, it means business! If I knew nothing of the watch, I'd think it's a big mean watch. And it is.

Baliha'I: To me it's a fun, funky name. Not necessarily a dive watch name, but somehow it just suits the watch. It's a good one.

Bathys: It doen't really mean anything to me as a name, but if I add 100 fathoms to it, it's a deal maker. Sounds really good

Dwatch: Very cool watch, not so cool name. It reminds me of Swatch. That said, it's not a deal breaker, it's just ...so so

Halios: It just screams MACHINE, like a tank. I'd say that's a good choice.

Marathon: a good name, but not for a watch, at least it doesn't do it for me. It's not a deal breaker, though...

Omega: 007- I can't think of nothing else. It's a good iconic name.

Hamilton: Never in my life would I think that's a watch. And it is... a good one, but the name reminds me of a good taylor.

Officine panerai: (is that spelled right?) A great name for a watch, but not necessarily a diver. The "officine" makes the name

Kremke: see Halios

Ocean7: a good dive watch name, or even better, a marine sports brand.

Doxa: It feels right, although I'm a Cussler fan, so I'm biased...

There are so many more out there, I can't possibly cover them all. I'll post my take on other brands if there's interest. Do you think that a bad name can make you see a particular watch in a different light? Would you wear a Rolex sub if it had "Sexy kitten " written on it instead of Rolex? What other names do you like and what do they make you feel or think? After all, sometimes it's about the watch, others it's about perception...

Hope this is interesting to some of you.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Rolex takes quite a bit of criticism for being a status symbol, but it is well deserved. I too have poked fun [see my post under Dress Divers], but the fact is that Rolex pioneered lots of first in watch design & water-resistance. Rolex Submariner is the ICONIC sports watch... and the name Rolex means highest quality. Rolex reputation is well deserved, but unfortunately for many of us the price increases have made it unattainable, which again continues the reputation of prestige and status symbol.

But I get the drift of your post, and there are some names that just don't make sense. Ex. Prometheus is mythical Greek that betrayed Zeus by stealing fire and giving fire to humans, punished by having liver eaten continuously be a bird of prey... not sure how this came to be a dive watch name ? And is a deal breaker for me.

DWatch -- I think the intention is that it is pronounced "Dive Watch" and D = dive.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
My favorite well known funny name that reminds me of a good wine is Baume et Mercier Capeland S XXL.

But visually it was one of my grails and is a good dive watch to boot.

paul

·
Registered
974 Posts
I think you make a good point. I have often wondered what some companies were thinking, or smoking when they came up with the names.
Make or break, yes, i would absolutely discard a great watch and look at a different one, just for a name. And i am not talking about a one brand name over another, i am meaning what your saying, about a name that just does not sit right.
In fact, it is the single biggest hurdle, in starting my own brand. I am up to the stage of having the drawings done, the design is finalized. But i cant start the company, nor have a dial made, and for that matter the case, because it will too bear the name. If i get it wrong, i am in trouble.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Kind of funny to me that Alpha and Omega are at the (relative) ends of the spectrum.. :-d

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
As somebody who has recently gone through this, all I can say is that the name is the hardest part of starting your own company. Believe it or not I spent a long time working on different names, I first thought of "GRAEME" as everybody on the forums knows me by my first name but I figured that the watch company "GRAHAM" (the other spelling of my name) might have had something to say about that :-d. I figured that being from Ireland it would be perfect to call it "Irish Watch Company" but I think the guys in Schaffhausen might not have agreed :-d

But seriously it is a really hard decision to make as you know that if the name is bad nobody will buy it, and all the time and money you have invested could be wasted. But at the end of the day you can only do your best, and you know you will never appeal to everybody, so if some don't like the name thats OK, hopefully you can win them over with your designs :-d

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is actually unexpected! I wasn't counting on having a.person that is actually strugling with a name, much less TWO! I'm really glad I posted this, although I think that a lot of the members will just glance over this theme and move on, it's something that has meaning to me, due to my profession. I've spent long hours searching for names for several projects, and I know how hard it is. May I suggest to forum members that might have watch brand names ideas to PM these two members? If they want to, of course.

Best of luck to you guys, and I hope you find watchuseek

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This is actually unexpected! I wasn't counting on having a.person that is actually strugling with a name, much less TWO! I'm really glad I posted this, although I think that a lot of the members will just glance over this theme and move on, it's something that has meaning to me, due to my profession. I've spent long hours searching for names for several projects, and I know how hard it is. May I suggest to forum members that might have watch brand names ideas to PM these two members? If they want to, of course.

Best of luck to you guys, and I hope you find watchuseek
Just to clarify, I don't want to hijack this thread, I did come up with my own company name, it's SAS Watch Company LTD. It stands for Sea Air and Sport the main focus of my designs.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to clarify, I don't want to hijack this thread, I did come up with my own company name, it's SAS Watch Company LTD. It stands for Sea Air and Sport the main focus of my designs.
I remember you, you presented a few renders of a very good looking watch a few days ago. Good luck, and for what it's worth, I like the name!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I think all brand new watch company names sound strange and odd when they begin. A name doesn't make the watch just like clothes do not make the man. Instead, the watch makes the name. There are alot of examples of this. When I first heard the name "Zinex" I thought it sounded like a sinus medication. But the unique design elements put into their first diver, the Nitrox (fantastic dial presentation, excellent hands, vintaged lume, and top quality sapphire x-tal, etc.), put the name on the map. Then the Trimix sealed it and the Haliox raised the bar again and now the name is what it is. I think of the name far differently now than when I first heard it. So, in the end, names are just labels that have to earn their respect by the quality of what they produce. (Ever heard the Johnny Cash song called "A boy named Sue"? ;) A watch could have a cool name like "McGuyver's BlackHawk Apache Diver" but if the watch is a piece of crap then the name will go from cool to a joke. The most important thing to me is that the watch that is produced kicks axx- full stop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts