WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What do you think about watches under $50usd?

• I'd never have one.

Votes: 95 12.1%
  • I have 1 to wear for rugged use.

Votes: 153 19.6%
  • I own some because they're practical and a great value.

Votes: 363 46.4%
  • There are some that I really like.

Votes: 304 38.9%
  • I actually collect them.

Votes: 79 10.1%
  • That's all I will ever have.

Votes: 11 1.4%
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I feel that they are very practical-you can wear them while working on the car and not care if they get damaged. They're very accurate and don't have to be wound or worn to keep running. Most are water resistant enough to go for a swim. You can find a good selection of the Casios and Timex's at Wal Mart. And some of them look really nice.

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
If they serve function that they were bought for, and are under $50 you can't beat that :-! .

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
At present I'm wearing a Timex 100 lap, 100m Flix on a Fast Wrap strap. I bought it for $45.USD at WalMart. Absolutely terrific watch. I like it so much that I bought two more for myself and have just sent one other to a friend in Australia.

I also own a Timex 200m Shock Resistant, and two Timex Perpetual Calendar analogs. None cost more than $55.USD.

Plenty of great watches out there for $50.USD or less.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Most of my collection is below 50$ with russian and japanese timepieces.... I would not even collect watches if I had to pay 200$ or more each one!
The amazing thing is how well they work!!!:-!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I luv them................there are some really great buys in Seiko, Timex, Casio, Poljot and others.............enjoy!

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
I have a bunch, 2 Russian Pobeda's at 12 bucks each, 2 Vostok's for less than $50, plus Casio, Timex and Kronos quartz ("Ray on the 'Bay").
The straps on the Pobeda's cost more than the watches :-D I love the classic sub second look and they work great.

I figure it isn't about what it cost, it is whether you like them and will wear them. My Pobeda's get worn about once a month each (I have at least 50 watches much to my wife's chagrin), and the Casios and Timex are my beater watches for cutting grass, raking leaves etc.

Cheers,
Griff

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
What impresses me the most is how far these watches have come, in paticular the Timex line. It used to be that you'd get cheap disposable plastic, and a rather bland design. These days, you can get a watch with a genuine scratch resistant mineral crystal, metal case, and a very attractive and classy design that keeps exceptional time...and the analogs usually have some other features like a backlight and date.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
You can find some terrific deals:

Gruen Swiss with 2824-2 movement, 100m rating, deployant on leather strap, etc. that cost $39 + tax (NOS)

Vostok NOS Radio Room Operator from Pre-USSR Fall. $35 + shipping

Slava Medical Watch - Pre-USSR Fall - NOS with papers - $40 + Shipping

Victorinox V7-22X Chrono with Eta 251.262 27-Jewel Quartz movement - same as the Breitling B53 and other Breitling models:roll: New with Warranty & papers!

Winnie-The-Pooh time teaching watch. Quartz movement from Phillipines - cost $1.50 + Shipping:-D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Part of the challenge of "affordable watches" is the quest for quality for low cost? And, there is some difference between a new digital watch off the retail shelf for $49.00 vs. a clearance sale watch from an internet vendor vs. the vintage find on an auction site vs. a used watch at a flea market vs. the $49 Rolexxx purchased from a street vendor - is there not. We are lucky to fill our gas tanks for $50.00 these days - if you can spend $50 on something that you find useful and enjoy plus it has some degree of durability - $$$$ well spent.

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
At present I'm wearing a Timex 100 lap, 100m Flix on a Fast Wrap strap. I bought it for $45.USD at WalMart. Absolutely terrific watch. I like it so much that I bought two more for myself and have just sent one other to a friend in Australia.

I also own a Timex 200m Shock Resistant, and two Timex Perpetual Calendar analogs. None cost more than $55.USD.

Plenty of great watches out there for $50.USD or less.
I just picked up their 25th Annv. 30 lap with reverse display for $17.86 off ebay :-! .

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Doc, where did you get that V-7?
Bill - Oh Bill! That is the subject of 3 different threads (one was 80+- posts long!) here on WUS's Affordables Forum.

Shopathometv.com is the answer. They sometimes have one or two that are returns but that is becoming less frequent. It was a SCREAMING deal IMHO (and that of many here as I know that 5+ of us got them)|>

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I have quite a few under $50 watches. It's wonderful to find something that you really like at a price that doesn't need too much agonising over:-D

My most recent is this dated Explorer lookalike - s/s case, Miyota auto movement and a solid s/s bracelet:

Love those Pobedas too:

All the best:)

·
5,159 Posts
I've got quite a few that I scored when SNBC was letting us use that $50 off $100 coupon over and over and over and... :-!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't recall seeing to many which are under 50 bucks after shipping????:think:
For the most part, I've found that when it comes to on-line watch buying, you actually usually get a better deal at a department store. For instance, I've seen the classic Casio calculator watch in an on-line auction forum for over $30; meanwhile, I can buy the exact same thing at the local Zellers for $20 CAD. Quite a few of their watches are on "Clearance" right now, so a watch that would normally cost $60-$70 can be had for around $40. The local Great Canadian Superstore has this one on for under $50:

I've been mulling over that one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think their great and I wear one for working around the house. It's a Timex Acqua model I got at Boscov's for about $30.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Look at the pattern on that website - my look around brought me to the opinion that if its a big name then they sell it on their site, if its not a big name then they review it and if they advertise the review is positive, if they do not the review always seems to be negative. Odd how that works. Alpha doesn't advertise on that site. :-|

1 - 20 of 147 Posts