WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a bit old news, but I was intrigued by Tudor's version of the Grand Seiko SBGR051 and SBGR053 from their Style collection:

Tudor-Style-Watch-Review-aBlogtoWatch-14.jpg

What do you think? Is the homage better than the inspiration?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Another nice watch. That is all i can say.

Reactions: monkeybutton

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
There are a lot of dress watches that look like that.

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
lol! Funny title. I agree, and prefer the GS.

Reactions: rfortson

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
It's a bit old news, but I was intrigued by Tudor's version of the Grand Seiko SBGR051 and SBGR053 from their Style collection:

View attachment 4042530
It's hard to judge just from the photo, bur hands on this Tudor look cheap in comparison with the GS. But the worst part is that hole in the dial for the date. It looks so much better if you put a frame around the date window. I think I will stick with the Seagull for the time being;-)
622603226_o.jpg

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

View attachment 4042530

What do you think? Is the homage better than the inspiration?

This is one of those things one has to see before believing it.

I know it is GS and deserves every respect, but who would have thought Seiko would one day become the subject of a homage. Has this ever happened in the past?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
With so many watches looking similar I wouldn't call it a homage. I think it looks nice, but I have very little need for a dress watch and the ones that get me excited are usually thin, no date, manual winders like the new Montblanc.

But the Tudor looks more of a GS.

If Steinhart or Christopher Ward would have done a GS homage they would probably receive abuse and being the subject of bullying.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Prefer the crown & date window on the GS; like the script layout/content, bezel, and indices on the Tudor.

If I could be gifted either one, would probably go with the Tudor just because I don't have anything by the company.

·
Registered
14,383 Posts
But the Tudor looks more of a GS.

If Steinhart or Christopher Ward would have done a GS homage they would probably receive abuse and being the subject of bullying.
I agree, they absolutely would. With so many watches have so many similar styles I think many people are WUS are too quick to call a watch a homage or accuse a company of ripping off someone else's design. That's not to say it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I was already familiar with both the Tudor and Grand Seiko models in question, though I never made the connection. The details these watches share in common aren't particularly unique, and don't think the Style is an obvious Grand Seiko homage by any means.

In any case, it's not like Seiko hasn't borrowed from Rolex in the past... if Rolex/Tudor want to incorporate some Seiko-esque elements into their watches I don't think it's particularly unfair. My Seiko 5:
10954210_10152784325634775_2004901359_n.jpg

1 - 20 of 104 Posts