WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use the moon phase complication for? Is it mostly aesthetic? Is it your day to day watch and if not, do you have it on a winder or reset the moon phase when used occasionaly? Please share your experiences and pics of your moon phase as well. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
38,931 Posts
Mostly aesthetic, but when I wear it I need to set it accurately first. Same with date - I can't have the wrong thing showing.

I don't have a winder, but if I did the moonphase would definitely be on it.

·
Moderator at Large
53,182 Posts
I just enjoy the complication in combination with a big date. And yes, it is on a winder.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like to use it to let me know when all my ex girlfriends will call me. Every couple of months on the same night I will hear from 2-3 different old flames. Almost always a full moon when that happens

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I use it to time how often these threads come up! :-d

Seriously - It seems to be mostly aesthetic - there are some beautiful moon phase dials out there. As an amateur astronomer, I appreciate being able to keep track of the moon's doings but, again, it's fun to just have (another) cosmic themed counter on my wrist.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I keep forgetting where I put it(Moon) So it helps me keep track.It's also just cool.Stays on Winder.
004.JPG 005.JPG
I'm not sure how the Martin Braun got on here...Sorry!

Attachments

Reactions: Clouseau

·
Banned
510 Posts
These answers are why I like this forum.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I don't currently own one but it is probably my favorite non day/date complication. I just think it is really cool to know the moon phase, don't know why. Just seems pertinent :)

Guess I will have to start looking for an affordable model now.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Seriously... to time my 3 minute eggs.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,075 Posts
So many other threads on this. I use the moon phase display for visual enjoyment. I'm a backyard astronomer who enjoys watching the phases evolve on a watch and.tall case clock. But I would consult astronomy software or just look outside to determine conditions. Understand there is limited utility for most watch complications, but collectors enjoy them nonetheless.

I do howl at a full moon though.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
"Even a man who is pure of heart,
and says his prayers at night,
May turn into a wolf when the wolfbane blooms,
And the Autumn moon is bright."

Maria Ouspenskaya, in
The Wolf Man
Universal Pictures

·
Registered
423 Posts
moon phase is one of the least useful complications ever, but it gives the dial some old school charm. I call such things gimmicks, but some purists would beg to disagree.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts