WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I think it stands for "Mister" "G-shock" Like "Mr. G"

There is also a G. Ms. line for women. I bought one for my mom once. I think they wanted G-Ms instead of MSG!

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I read somewhere that MR-G is supposed to stand for 'Majestic Reality G'

But I think everyone is cool with Mister G these days :D

Now they just need to make missus G and they'll have an alternate line to the lover's set, for married couples :)

Sent from the 'droid.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the feeback guys. Really appreciated.

The reason I ask because I came across somewhere on the Internet, some article mentioned MRG stands for blah-blah-blah, and I forgot about it. I cant recall what is it. And I didn't bookmark the article. I know its popular for MRG to stands for Mister G, but somehow I think there's another version of it. A version that just click. Mister G doesn't click for me... Well, I guess its not so straightforward the answer. Hope I could finalize the answer one day, "MRG stands for ..................!"

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
... I know its popular for MRG to stands for Mister G, but somehow I think there's another version of it.
As others have commented in this thread already, MR-G stands for Mister-G, nothing else nothing more. It is coined by a Casio Japan product team, and as many other JDM names and terms it brings a sense of 'something lost in a translation', to the point of sounding borderline silly.

There was a video posted few years back of an interview with the MR-G lead designer, together with the virtual MR-G factory tour (there is a special part of the Casio factory in Japan dedicated only to MR-G watch-line manufacture, with full manual assembly and QC of every MR-G watch produced), he was asked what the MR-G stood for...and 'Mister G' was given as an answer ;-)

No need to still wonder and expect an answer from elsewhere...it is what it is.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As others have commented in this thread already, MR-G stands for Mister-G, nothing else nothing more. It is coined by a Casio Japan product team, and as many other JDM names and terms it brings a sense of 'something lost in a translation', to the point of sounding borderline silly.

There was a video posted few years back of an interview with the MR-G lead designer, together with the virtual MR-G factory tour (there is a special part of the Casio factory in Japan dedicated only to MR-G watch-line manufacture, with full manual assembly and QC of every MR-G watch produced), he was asked what the MR-G stood for...and 'Mister G' was given as an answer ;-)

No need to still wonder and expect an answer from elsewhere...it is what it is.
Haha, yeah! Okay, this settles it. I am totally convinced now. Since its from the mouth of MR-G lead designer.

Sorry guys, sorry sjors, for erm, doubting you guys. Because I read from elsewhere MRG stands for other thing than Mister G. But now, with babola post, I am convinced now, affirmative, MR-G stands for Mister G.

Case close.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,551 Posts
(there is a special part of the Casio factory in Japan dedicated only to MR-G watch-line manufacture, with full manual assembly and QC of every MR-G watch produced
It is Casio Y's Yamagata production line. It is not only MR-G. I am recently told the new MT-G models are also coming from this Casio high end watches production line.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
These days we know that MRG means Mister G. But only a few years back the general notion was that it meant Majestic Reality G. Both words are very similar in their meanings as they both refer to dignity and adulthood. MRG was simply a adult G-Shock with great dignity. Most likely this mistake was the result of a translation error between a japanese to english translation of a text in a G-Shock MOOK about MRG.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These days we know that MRG means Mister G. But only a few years back the general notion was that it meant Majestic Reality G. Both words are very similar in their meanings as they both refer to dignity and adulthood. MRG was simply a adult G-Shock with great dignity. Most likely this mistake was the result of a translation error between a japanese to english translation of a text in a G-Shock MOOK about MRG.
Okay, so it used to be Majestic Reality G and due to lost in translation, it turn out to be Mister G? Okie...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Majestic Reality G is what I know. It makes more sense than just Mister G.
To be frank, if I could choose between these two and make it official, what it stands for MRG, I would choose Majestic Reality G.

Because Majestic Reality G is more kick ass, more oomph in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's just Mister G, like it's a grown up G-Shock model.

Cheers,

Sjors

Sent using Tapatalk!
Hi Sjors,

I really enjoy reading your 50g's and appreciate your G-knowledge. Maybe you are "MR-G" :)

I recently purchased a beautiful vintage MR-G 110T and wonder if you could direct me to where I might be able to purchase a couple of titanium links for the 110T watchband.

Thank you!
Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts